• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft III Hero Roulette - App for Android phones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
top_banner.png.1480523513931.png

1. Introduction:

Tired of playing the same stock heroes over and over again?
Enough of always picking the best hero?
Sick of the Blademaster's soundset?
Nothing can withstand your nukes?
Your hero just never wanna die?
Killing the rock golem with Watertaurens isn't funny anymore?

Want to try out something new?

If your Warcraft III gaming has grown stale, try my new Hero Roulette app! It randomly generates a set of Heroes & abilities for you to pick in your next game! Pick & choose as you wish from the random suggestions to have a truly 'different' experience every time!

2. Screenshots:

screenshot1.png
screenshot2.png
screenshot3.png
screenshot4.png
screenshot5.png
screenshot6.png

Updated: 2016.11.16

Current Version: 0.9 beta
Size: 9.44 MB

I warmly welcome any comments/reviews/suggestions/requests/bug reports!

3. Features:
  • 24 heroes with all their abilities from the game
  • Ultimate Challenge to play the most cumbersome tri-hero sets of all time
  • Freedom of Choice, you don't have to follow every instruction down to the letter
  • Over 140 hero voices from the game (the annoyed voices)
  • Storing / Managing previously generated Hero-combinations
  • 5,852 possible Hero Combinations*
  • 1,159,732 possible Hero + Ability Combinations*
  • Fine-Tuning randomness, so that some heroes pop up more frequently than others
  • Sleep-mode, which provides an endless loop of voices against insomnia
  • Practice Makes Perfect! Don't just play a single game with a generated Hero Set, new strategies tend not to succed on the first try
  • Built-in Manual (under Tome of Retraining/Manual of Health)
* For all four races, with the order of the elements taken into account (eg. "TC first + SH second" does not equal with "SH first + TC second").

4. Installation Instructions:
download_qr_code_inverted.png

IMPORTANT NOTICE: By installing 3rd party apps, you take the risk, that these apps do harm to your device. If you don't trust me, do not install my app on your primary phone/tablet/TV/etc. Install it on an old smartphone or use an emulator instead. For more information on 3rd party apps read this article:
Is It Safe to Install Android Apps from Unknown Sources?
  1. System Requirements are pretty darn low (~phones made in 2011 or later):
    • Android Operating System 2.3 ("Gingerbread") or higher
    • 9.50 MB free space
  2. Download the [apk] installer file to your phone either with the QR code above, or from this link:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8_Z_EbKUdPlMzktdkNvVzlNWkU
  3. Enable the installation of 3rd party softwares on your phone:
    • For devices running Android prior to 4.0, go to "Settings > Applications" and then check the box next to "Unknown Sources".
    • For devices running Android 4.0 or above, go to "Settings > Security" or "Settings > Security & Screen Lock" and then check the box next to "Unknown Sources" and confirm your choice.
  4. Run the apk file on your phone to install it.
  5. Accept permissions. 2 permissions are required currently:
    • Read and Write to external storage (to save and reload hero sets)
    • Control vibration (as usual, the phone vibrates momentarily, if you use a hold down button)
  6. Run the app on your phone.
  7. Press the "back" button on your phone, when you'd like to exit the app.

5. Credits:
  • Programmer:
    Dick Assman
    (hobby app developer)
  • Special Thanks to:
    Blizzard Entertainment Inc.
    (owner of media)
    Warcraft® III: The Frozen Throne®
    ©2003 Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. All rights reserved. The Frozen Throne, Warcraft and Blizzard Entertainment are trademarks or registered trademarks of Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.
    ©
  • Special Thanks to:
    MIT App Inventor Team
    (providing the programming environment)
    Webpage: http://ai2.appinventor.mit.edu
  • Source of Inspiration:
    WTii
    (Warcraft III streamer, entertainer, commentator,
    who also likes to demonstrate unorthodox Warcraft III strategies)
    Youtube Channels: WTii1 and wtiiwarcraft

6. Changelog/ToDo:
  • Current version: 0.9 beta (16 November 2016)
    • ToDo: Upload the app to SlideMe (free alternative to Google Play)
    • ToDo: Rework some of the in-app english text (the manuals in particular)

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I've read the post. I think it's cool. But I'm still confused; what exactly does this do/is this good for? Ok, read the download page & that helps; it's ostensibly a "support" tool for gaming in Warcraft; i.e. get a randomized set of Heroes that you can try out in-game for shenanigans/new strats (ala Wtii on Youtube). (Might be cool to write a bit of that into your first post) And then secondarily, it plays the voices so you can just kinda listen for fun.

Yeah, that's sufficiently awexome. I don't have a smartphone but I'll keep this in mind.

~~~

You know, I can't help but laugh a little; I wonder if you thought you'd be publicly programming & releasing stuff with your ridiculous username blazoned across it.

I have created an app that cures cancer. Please e-mail me at <[email protected]>

Last edited:

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Wow it's free I couldn't have guessed!

(Commercialize it and send link to Blizzard I'm sure you like the court room!)

Level 2
I've read the post. I think it's cool. But I'm still confused; what exactly does this do/is this good for?

Basically it is a Random Hero Generator. With a press of a button, it will show you 3 heroes with 2 suggested abilities each. Then play the game with those heroes (or not, who am I to tell :) ).

The generating method is completely random, but tweakable at the Setting Screen (shown on Screenshots 5-6). You can set some heroes with higher/lower probabilities than others.

Wow it's free I couldn't have guessed!

(Commercialize it and send link to Blizzard I'm sure you like the court room!)

I completely agree. This app was made with respect to the Blizzard Copyright Policy:
Blizzard Entertainment:Blizzard FAQ

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Basically it is a Random Hero Generator. With a press of a button, it will show you 3 heroes with 2 suggested abilities each. Then play the game with those heroes (or not, who am I to tell :) ).
Yeah, I follow now. Just a tip; start the whole thing (presentation) with a question; otherwise it's just kinda awkward ("this makes heroes! if you want.... to play in the game! I guess, you don't have to). No need to Fluttershy it. : )

Ex:

"Tired of always picking the best hero? Sick of the Blademaster's sound set? Want to try something new?"

"If your Warcraft gaming has grown stale, try my new Hero Roulette app! It randomly generates a set of Heroes & abilities for you to pick in your next game! Pick & choose as you wish from the random suggestions to have a truly 'different' experience every time!"

And then all the rest. Just a suggestion. : )

Level 2
Yeah, I follow now. Just a tip; start the whole thing (presentation) with a question; otherwise it's just kinda awkward ("this makes heroes! if you want.... to play in the game! I guess, you don't have to). No need to Fluttershy it. : )

Ex:

"Tired of always picking the best hero? Sick of the Blademaster's sound set? Want to try something new?"

"If your Warcraft gaming has grown stale, try my new Hero Roulette app! It randomly generates a set of Heroes & abilities for you to pick in your next game! Pick & choose as you wish from the random suggestions to have a truly 'different' experience every time!"

And then all the rest. Just a suggestion. : )
Wow, you speak from my heart Kyrbi! Would you mind, if I borrow your lines, and use them in the description above? They are just spot on the money. I really liked that you used concrete examples to make the point.

I'd also like to thank you for drawing my attention to presentation. I've decided to migrate over to Hive Workshop - as you can see above - so the app is a step closer to the comment section now.

With Regards,
Mr. Assman

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Wow, you speak from my heart Kyrbi! Would you mind, if I borrow your lines, and use them in the description above? They are just spot on the money. I really liked that you used concrete examples to make the point.
Why I'd be quite flattered if you did. : )

Dick Assman said:
I'd also like to thank you for drawing my attention to presentation. I've decided to migrate over to Hive Workshop - as you can see above - so the app is a step closer to the comment section now.
Very cool, and very snazzy. Love me some rainbows. What are "watertaurens", by the way?

Dick Assman said:
With Regards,
Mr. Assman
Lololol

Level 2
Very cool, and very snazzy. Love me some rainbows. What are "watertaurens", by the way?
Lololol
Watertauren is a Warcraft III slang for Water Elemental. It emphasises it's strength/tankiness, which gives an extra advantage to the human player in early game creeping, compared to other races. Water Elementals are not as strong as real Tauren - 2 x lvl2 Water Elementals ~ 1 Tauren - but they are the strongest summonable unit in the game (thanks to the short cooldown).

You know, I can't help but laugh a little; I wonder if you thought you'd be publicly programming & releasing stuff with your ridiculous username blazoned across it.
I'm happy to make others laugh. Silly names FTW! :wgrin:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Watertauren is a Warcraft III slang for Water Elemental. It emphasises it's strength/tankiness, which gives an extra advantage to the human player in early game creeping, compared to other races. Water Elementals are not as strong as real Tauren - 2 x lvl2 Water Elementals ~ 1 Tauren - but they are the strongest summonable unit in the game (thanks to the short cooldown).
Huh, did not know that. Hm.

Status
Not open for further replies.