• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft III Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
I just found out that you can actually open the WarCraft III campaigns by using an MPQ Editor and opening war3.mpq. For some reason I thought that these files were encrypted or something.

If anybody wants to know how to open them, simply use MPQMaster (or another MPQ viewing software) and open up war3.mpq. In the maps folder there is another folder, campaign, which includes the different campaign maps. Their triggers are available to view, though they're nothing special.

I can't seem to be able to find an equivalent for the Frozen Throne campaign files. I imagine if you were to change the source maps and re-import them into the MPQ you could do a lot of damage on the campaign though.

Level 18
Another useful section to add to the imaginary Frequently Asked Questions sticky. Its not useful enough (nor significant enough) to find its way into the tutorials section, though it is still "useful" in some sense. Too bad.

Level 18
I guess so. Its just a library of game-data that is specific to blizzard entertainment. They seem to have a lot of their "own" formats. MPQs really aren't stressful enough to require their own tutorial though, since MPQs are pretty much just a list of files.

Level 10
Hmm. Did you ever find the campaign files for frozen throne?
I'm trying to look up one of the levels, but they don't seem to be in war3x.mpq

Edit: Okay thats because they're in war3xlocal.mpq and need a complete listfile to see them.

Last edited:
Level 3
Now if only someone would say how to actually make a custom campaign out of the original campaign files. As they are, they'll always try to load the original campaign maps even if they aren't on your custom campaign list.
Haven't seen an answer to that one for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.