• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to create .w3x files from CascView ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
I am trying to open some TFT campaign maps in WorldEdit.

I have extracted the a folder named "nightelfx01.w3x" (the map I am trying to open). But it is giving a folder with instead of a single file. Within the folder I have these files: Imgur

How do I go about of bundling the folder into a single file? I tried creating a .mpq by bundling all the files with the folder, and i got nightelfx01.mpq , however, worldEditor doesn't open .mpq files. And opening the file with mpq editor just shows all the smaller files inside. Need an option to save bundle the folder into a .w3x file.

Thanks.

drag and drop the folder into world Editor, Either into "World Editor.exe" or into World Editor main screen (the one which shows the ground and map).

When saving with world Editor the map will be transformed into the w3x mpq format, Although it wouldn't be needed to transform it into mpq format. Game also accepts folders (hence they are in folder format).

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
What used to be map archives in the MPQ are now TVFS files containing CASC file system structure. This file system structure references the files that are contained inside the map. There is no concept of nested MPQ anymore except maybe backups of external maps.

As such maps are extracted from CASC in component form. In order for WorldEdit to open them you will need to bundle them into a map archive using MPQEdit. At least until Blizzard adds support for component form of maps.

This change was done for performance reasons. Before one had to extract and mount the entire map MPQ file before a single file could be loaded from it. Now loading such files is as simple as processing the TVFS files (which are listed in an external file so can be loaded at startup) and then reading the individual component files like any other CASC file. This has other advantages such as Blizzard patches only needing to download some components of maps instead of the entire map if Blizzard changes something like terrain in a campaign or melee map.

Last edited:
Level 7
drag and drop the folder into world Editor, Either into "World Editor.exe" or into World Editor main screen (the one which shows the ground and map).

When saving with world Editor the map will be transformed into the w3x mpq format, Although it wouldn't be needed to transform it into mpq format. Game also accepts folders (hence they are in folder format).

drag and drop does work, but I'm not sure which one to copy cause I can find the map folders in multiple places. (I have dede-war3local, ruru-war3local and a bunch of others in my main warcraft 3 folder in cascview)

you have to pick the language you want to base your modification on. This 4 Letters before "-war3local.mpq" are Lcid. Each contains the version of a language warcraft 3 is capable to use.
dede is german of germany
ruru should be russian of russia
frfr should be france of france...​
To later use your custom version place it into war3mod.mpq (folder) + subfolders as they are in the local mpq.
But tread war3mod.mpq as <Lcid>-war3local.mpq pathwise.
war3mod.mpq can also overlap stuff from war3.mpq (gamedata and textures).

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Most of the maps are the same. The map component files mostly source from the same CASC storage references. The only difference is with localized text files, which will only be present for locales you have installed. Hence you have no choice but to use the maps from locales you have installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.