• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 3 unreforged

Level 9
Hello, fellow warcraft players. Is it still possible to download the old warcraft 3 (version 1.30 or 1.31) without triggering the reforged version when opening the newly downloaded warcraft 3? This happens quite annoyingly with my computer and I don't really like to play the reforged version. Thanks in advance!

Level 29
This thread might be helpful in case you want to get non-Reforged Warcraft 3:

Just remember: 1.30 and 1.31 are made as pre-installed ones, meaning you don't have to actually "install" the game using any kind of the online installer, considering Blizzard removed this option since 1.28+ in favour of Reforged. You can find these versions in the "Game Files" section. After downloading the game, simply extract the whole contents, then run "Warcraft III.exe".

In addition, you can still get an old installers (1.00/1.07 CD, 1.21b Digital Installers, 1.27a Digital Installers). They are inside the "Game Installers". Be sure to install the patch, which is located in "Patch Installers" (choose TFT ones if you own both games).

Needless to say, installing this version afterwards still requires valid 26-digit CD Keys (1.31 only requires any Reign of Chaos CD Keys, as both clients were merged with this version).

If you followed the instructions correctly, then you should be able to play the non-Reforged Warcraft 3 client without any kind of issues. Just make sure you don't hit "Battle.net" button (1.26/1.27) or use the Launcher to start the game (for later versions), as it will auto-update your game to 1.36 (Reforged).

without triggering the reforged version
Don't use Warcraft III Launcher.exe. it is a battlenet updater that didn't even exist on most patches prior to those. Use x86_64\Warcraft III.exe as mentioned by Ravager16829.

Edit: I personally hesitate to download from the above links from Hive because I find it difficult to verify that these applications are indeed the originals, although I'm told they do contain cryptographic signatures in many cases. Anyhow, I use similar backups from my own hard drive backup system that I personally maintained from back in the days when these patches were live.

Nevertheless, the concept is the same -- don't use the stupid launcher!

Level 29
I believe it's "Warcraft III.exe -launch" to actually launch, that's what I've been using. And roc.key, tft.key files if you never played before. I've documented this elsewhere on the forum (probably that same thread)
The "-launch" parameter is ONLY intended for those who own the Reforged and didn't want this client to be started without Battle.net application.
In case you didn't learn about how to prevent your non-Reforged Warcraft III for installing the Reforged, here's a more detailed information (taken from the Patch 1.31.1 Backup Files):

Regardless, since 1.31 doesn't contain any Reforged files, including the new models, it's literally impossible to experience the issue you described without updating to 1.32+. This means that either you messed up with the installation somewhere and you allowed the game to update or you have a separate Reforged installation.

The best tip I can give you right now is - just check how big your W3 folder is. I can bet it's going to be a lot bigger than 2-3 GBs, which means that you updated to 1.32. In this case, you have to uninstall the game, remove all game files and registry keys, and do a fresh install of 1.31 following the instruction above and some additional tips below to make sure that the game doesn't update.

To prevent updating:

• turn on the Battle.Net app and turn off automatic updates before installing 1.31 (details on how to do that are in the original post), this should work, but there's a chance that something will bug out and the app might start the update - just to be sure, the first time you launch Battle.Net app after installing 1.31, instantly click on W3 on the list of games and if you see that it's updating, immidiately pause the update and keep it that way
  • launch the game using the .exe file listed in the instruction
  • don't try logging in to battle.net from inside the game
  • if prompted that an update is available - click "no"

Although that post intended for 1.31, it should also be helpful on other versions of non-Reforged WC3. Just make sure you don't hit Battle.net button in game menu or use the "Warcraft III Launcher.exe".
In addition, if you have the Battle.net installed, make sure you turn off the automatic updates and check if the game is intentionally updating. If the update is happened, immediately pause and keep it that way.

Level 9
I believe it's "Warcraft III.exe -launch" to actually launch, that's what I've been using. And roc.key, tft.key files if you never played before. I've documented this elsewhere on the forum (probably that same thread)
The "-launch" parameter is ONLY intended for those who own the Reforged and didn't want this client to be started without Battle.net application.(...)
I thought they removed entirely possibility to launch game using Warcraft III.exe. They should put this information somewhere where anybody would notice; then again it's Blizzard. Anyway thanks for the info. It will come in handy if by any reason Zorrot decides to abandon Quenching Mod.