• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 3 Tileset Rmk Development

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello people :) My name is kantarion tileset maker for Rebirth mod on Warcraft 3 Engine. I came here to show my WIP(they are avaliable in Rebirth mod 25% of original quality), and i hope you like it

My goal was to remake wc3 tilesets in HD manner . Sometimes it was hard to follow original concept cause lack of resources . My plan is to recreate some areas that i failed , now i can do much better

Any comments and help is welcomed .You can see a bit new WIP sunken ruin tile here

RAd1Evp.png

But i prefer you to enjoy the gallery
HD Tileset Rmk

Last edited:
Level 14
I find the tiles themselves quite good, though sometimes they diverge too much from the original. The big issue for me is the (square) cliffs. They look nothing like the original and thus doesn't fit.

Last edited:
Tnx for kind words :) I like dalaran square cliff i dont see problem , but i see problem with ashenvale,barrens,caves and dungeon snow - those stuff need rmk urgently

Any help is welcomed , also modifying too . If anyone search for resources i can direct you to save your time. I passed so many textures and i know which 1 are close to original .

Problem was in that time i didnt posses texturing treasure like i do now,also my skills were equal to 0 . I am still not skileld but - my passion is strong :)

Also i will upload files in external link , so people check them .

What dimensions do you work in?

Also, something to remember, that many people who makes full tilesets forget, is to make the tiles fit color-wise. Ashenwale is green (even the rocks), Barrens is orange, dungeon is red. Etc. Etc. So recoloring tilesets to fit the same color-scheme makes for a better look and feel than a tileset that is all-over the place colorwise.

Last edited:
The_silent yes thats 100% correct , and by the way thats hardest thing for me to do . I would need some help from hives to blend colors perfectly xD
I use 1024x512 , which is honestly to me as tile maker - 512x512(+512 horizontal) , cause square tile
map (tile sample) is 128x128 on both resolutions

Also do 3d effect near alpha channel,do decorations...If anyone is interested plz say :D

Tiles doesnt have to be 100% same color like wc3 , but lets say north,ice,lord winter,felwood,daungeon (similar color range,wide spectrum) , ashen-ruins (similar color range) , barrens-caves (playable color range),city-dalaran (um to be color-wise blended altought they are hard to combine xD) , outland-black citadel (almost 100% same) ...and so on xD
This is very hard m8 , what can i say :D

Last edited:
Level 2
but this is a screenshot from REBORN mod - NOT from Rebirth mod (whatever that is) - right?

I dont know to show/hide pictures on thread . So i put 1 famouse picture by reborn . Inside gallery u can see more tiles

About mods , its a long story , 1 member was part of reborn then he made a rebirth,then reborn died , then waa took over it ,then rebirth joined waa cause it was dying in 1 moment , and rebirth was stagnating too with 1 modeler member.

Anyway , leader boss is WAA . Theres 1 promising mod by chinese called Warcraft The Storm is Coming , even though they arent equiped with sculptors,drawing from sketch like WAA , they are a strong concurrence to WAA and they are not partners btw...

So , i wouldnt atack any of those mods, cause its basically 3-5 ppl maximum that are essence of all those mods . If they leave , quality will drastically go down,then project will shut down soon.So every mod would be dead...We all passed trough it .if someone hates modding go ahead and attack

Last edited:
Level 2
Do you know when the WAA will be ready? I liked it, and I really liked the Reborn screen shots probably more. But judging by thEse sreenshots Rebirth doesn`t seem to be a mod? Its just bunch of bad tiles? By the way they are not bad but they are. Well, unless you start with the UI and then whatever alien atmosphere the alien tiles bring will be ok instead of looking unnecessary, "wrong in the esthetical system", or alien, or just bad. They don`t look MODdy. And where can I find some pictures for "Storm is Coming"? I cant google it!

Do you know when the WAA will be ready? I liked it, and I really liked the Reborn screen shots probably more. But judging by thEse sreenshots Rebirth doesn`t seem to be a mod? Its just bunch of bad tiles? By the way they are not bad but they are. Well, unless you start with the UI and then whatever alien atmosphere the alien tiles bring will be ok instead of looking unnecessary, "wrong in the esthetical system", or alien, or just bad. They don`t look MODdy. And where can I find some pictures for "Storm is Coming"? I cant google it!
This one has nothing to do with Rebirth , Rebirth is WAA's wc3 version but all of us use those tiles cause noone else is making tiles except Kantarion , you can check our screenshots at moddb: Warcraft Rebirth mod , also ofcourse WAA's pages cause we share models and yes I'm officially making wc3 version of WAA under this name Rebirth, I replied personally cause none of those shows our mod ( only my Stormreavers are shown ) but all the mods ( WAA,Reborn,Rebirth,Storm Is Comming ) has to use those tiles cause we got no alternative

Level 8
can u explain how can u like reborn, and say ''rebirth thing'' is not a mod but a bad whatever thing... Because ''rebirth thing'' is litteraly made buy some dude from reborn, and his friends, as a continuation of reborn, using some of reborns assets... because Reborn mod actually died, everyone was MIA... and rebirht is a continuation of it xD

It is funny you comment about reborn screenshot for second time - even after i deleted Reborn screenshot,and change picture of my newest WIP ruins.
I already explain i use it cause i had to do some famouse picture i dont know use hidden/show .

Anyway BOSS of Rebirth,Reborn(dead mod) is Warcraft Armies of Azeroth .We continue where Reborn stoped,but we were standalone mod DUDE . Today we work FOR WAA. So we are all Sons of Armies of Azeroth in some spiritual way - RIGHT NOW , and we existed before .Check wcu old site thread so plz...

Tnx for telling me my tiles are bad , you are free to modify and improve them , but i prefer you to do alone everything from begining without any tutorial online :)

Level 2
HateCrew, I really don`t grasp your reasoning. Can you explain it to YourArthas who says that those screenshots don`t show the mod?
How could a mod "die" if I never intended to dowload it? Whichever "didn`t die" - what-about-them?
Reborn has a ton of atmospheric ingame screenshots. That is a piece of art. "Rebirth" is a random shitpiss from HiveWorkShop. As far as I "know" by the screenshots that admitedly don`t SHOW it. I really thought its a hoax.

What is wcu?

Kantarion, "It is funny you comment about reborn screenshot for second time" - where?
"but i prefer you to do alone everything from begining without any tutorial online :)" judging by your sense of conext no wonder you suck :) And i am joking cause aperantly you really do not. I can say though that the rocks tile (lordaeron? that one) really must have a more discernible contour. Even in the "Reborn" (its the same tile there).

HateCrew, I really don`t grasp your reasoning. Can you explain it to YourArthas who says that those screenshots don`t show the mod?
How could a mod "die" if I never intended to dowload it? Whichever "didn`t die" - what-about-them?
Reborn has a ton of atmospheric ingame screenshots. That is a piece of art. "Rebirth" is a random shitpiss from HiveWorkShop. As far as I "know" by the screenshots that admitedly don`t SHOW it. I really thought its a hoax.

What is wcu?

Kantarion, "It is funny you comment about reborn screenshot for second time" - where?
"but i prefer you to do alone everything from begining without any tutorial online :)" judging by your sense of conext no wonder you suck :) And i am joking cause aperantly you really do not. I can say though that the rocks tile (lordaeron? that one) really must have a more discernible contour. Even in the "Reborn" (its the same tile there).
Warcraft Rebirth mod here rebirth , reborn died long ago and never had much ingame screenshots , nearl all their models are in rebirth too anyways cause WE are the same team

This is not replay to Khangus guy . This is explanation to people who dont understand what is going on . Reborn best modelers were tnv,FrozenKnight,drawer and concept art Kristian Bakhalov , and our modeler Orapa666 . Reborn set apart , officialy no trace of them . Warcraft Armies of Azeroth took over it . We as standalone mod called Rebirth , have our own models made by YourArthas and Orapa, and we took models that were made in Reborn by our modeler Orapa personally .In a same time many models were updated by Yourarthas which were already cooperating with WAA and became their member when crysis happen. Basically models that are took from other authors of Reborn are 2 models - DK and Goblin Shreder.

In 1 moment there was a deep crysis in warcraft 3 moding , Reborn set a part (died) , Rebirth was only YourArthas in a moment (Orapa gone), and WAA lost Templar and Malice for short period of time (as far as i know Alak stay n 1 moment) . Those persons that miss didnt die in real life , they just havent time to deal with such a huge job cause of private things . Many of them returned . Since the existence were threat , Alliance and Horde joined a forces agaisnt Legion .
U can count on fingers all of those ppl who can actually do something about modding .

Before realise the decision were made : Use WAA models over Rebirth or Reborn models . Cause they are best .
The rest of models you can find inside is a collection of wcundergrounf community , and my friend FacundoG (AKA Redforest) whom pleased to connected with WAA .

So,Rebirth in a spiritual way is a successor of Reborn (but in tehnical way we are standalone team,we got our modelers,our models) . We are the living mod that support WAA , that was original idea .

Waa have their associates,promoters,modeler supporters etc . They are a head of everything a BOSS.

This realise is maybe not a true reflection what leading BOSS wanted , but the mod you see is demo done on wc3 (25% quality cause of wc3 engine) , so people can actually play soemthing and not loose faith .

All of you who wait high quality WAA builded directly by leaders will enjoy this mod on SC2 engine .

There were some disagreements between some team members , but its not your concern its a private thing . And i dont wanna be part of it , cause my spiritual name is Medivh

So all of the bitches who want make some dissidence between those modes i have a words for you : S*ck my di*ck .
Why dont you help instead spreading hatred s*ckers

Last edited:
Level 14
I have tried out what you released on some other websites and some of them are really nice.
Clearly they are so sharp that you need everything else to kinda be at the same level of resolution to have a cohesive style (doodads, units and so on). I was thinking maybe of using some but compressing it a bit to make it work well with vanilla doodads since my map was not made with HD tiles in mind...
Can you explain a bit more this: "3d effect near alpha channel" ?

Ye it can be download on old wcu taptalk forum. Bit i am upgrading it so at some point ill upload like new ruins.
I suggest you reduce their size by using blp laboratory , you can go 75% quality to blp , and it wont be noticable quality reduce specually inside this new camera distance...
I did some testings with some model textures,not tiles...
PFUwILf.png

About 3d effect near alpha channel i meant this : look at the ruins_smallbricks on first page . Got a fake feeling its above other tilesets. This is what all tiles need....
Or other way : gradient alpha channel , blended together with other tiles . It gives a look when grass is penetrating into dirt,or snow into dirt etc..

Btw can you inform me more about your map, i am kinda interested until september to make custom tiles for maps...So tell if you are interested in my offer

They are already avaliable for download and they have WIP status. The problem is i must change many areas , i am not very happy with them .
I came here on hive to seek partner , a person that can actually help me improve them but mostly recreate. I got more knowledge now than before (still not enough for what i want to achieve) , but my main weakness is time,kids,job etc ....

The plan is to finishe area by area with some partner - then upload on official hive tile thread, so someone do the final touch - 3d effect near alpha channel and decos..
In this stage if i do official publish on section where it belongs,i am afraid that someone will ,,improve,, wrong tiles (for example that noobish ashenvale or cartoionish outland that needs total rmk!) on their own hand,and i will have no benefit ...Thats why guys you need contact me,i got all resources of the world to make super awesome tiles , i know what needs to be done ,i know what resources are closest to original and most hd...

You can download WIP-s here : Tiles RMK Development (HD) - DALARAN DOWNLOAD

Again, contact me plz if you want this look far better than now...Send pm,or write here...

Summoning possible interested legendary "2d artists" to aid you recreate the Warcraft 3 tilesets into fresh tiles.
@PrinceYaser @Mr.Goblin @ThePanda @Arowanna @The_Warchief @HawKing @Heinvers @CloudWolf @chr2
They might be want to be a part of your team with this amazing and interesting RMK Development. :)

Ty very much for info. Those persons are amazing. I doubt they know for this thread, but they probably heard for WAA/Rebirth. Guess i will have to ask them in pm right, thats the right suggestion?

Level 14
Ty very much for info. Those persons are amazing. I doubt they know for this thread, but they probably heard for WAA/Rebirth. Guess i will have to ask them in pm right, thats the right suggestion?
Yes, directly sending them a reinforcement call could be more effective than summon-tagging them on a thread posts. I hope they help you with this amazing remake of tilesets. :) Good luck,.

Really really thank you , all the help is welcome
No problem mate, thanks also for granting my bfa model requests, they're all well in a map now. ^^

Summoning possible interested legendary "2d artists" to aid you recreate the Warcraft 3 tilesets into fresh tiles.
@PrinceYaser @Mr.Goblin @ThePanda @Arowanna @The_Warchief @HawKing @Heinvers @CloudWolf @chr2
They might be want to be a part of your team with this amazing and interesting RMK Development. :)
Youuuu rang?

Haha, seriously though, I can't believe you put little ol' me on the same list as those guys - some of the best 2d artists on the Hive. I'M NOT WORTHY!! *bows*

Things are little backed up for me right now but I'll definitely see what I can do to get involved in this project! Sounds mighty interesting and is, in fact, something I've considered playing around with myself for some time.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I suggest you reduce their size by using blp laboratory , you can go 75% quality to blp , and it wont be noticable quality reduce specually inside this new camera distance...
I did some testings with some model textures,not tiles...
In case you were not aware Warcraft III default used by all Warcraft III textures is 80%.

Since terrain cannot use mipmaps one can save ~33% file size by disabling mipmaps.

It is also worth noting that since terrain does not use mipmaps it is subject to aliasing if the texture resolution is too high or display resolution too low or camera zoomed out too far.

Reactions: pyf
Youuuu rang?

Haha, seriously though, I can't believe you put little ol' me on the same list as those guys - some of the best 2d artists on the Hive. I'M NOT WORTHY!! *bows*

Things are little backed up for me right now but I'll definitely see what I can do to get involved in this project! Sounds mighty interesting and is, in fact, something I've considered playing around with myself for some time.

Nice to hear those stuffs , ill pm you now :)

Level 7
Tnx alot man.
If you know anyone who would like to help me, i am very opened

At least dota tiles (which is some of sunken ruins,northrend,felwood and blight)

Currently i just need someone manipulate with 1 tile alpha channel...
and maybe some reskining tweaks and 3d effect texture thing near alpha channel (this is optional)

Alright. Shall try to look one for you. But no promise.

Status
Not open for further replies.