• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 3 Crashes, plz help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Guys suddenly my warcraft 3 has started to crash when i load a saved game in multiplayer, we play on LAN (2 players), im on windows 8.1 and my friend on windows 8,

we're playing Sunken city latest version (2.0.4)

the error is below-

This application has encountered a critical error:
Not enough storage is available to process this command.

I have 8gb ram and 1 more than 700 gb free Hdd space,

this hasn't happened before, i have not installed any new hardware or software on my laptop, it has started to happen often now,
can somebody help

thanks

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
NONO guys in sunken city theres no -save -load commands, it saves via the game menu....
thanks for replying
Sunken City is meant to be played in one take. It's a dungeon crawler, not an RPG.

Saving via the game menu will break timers and several scripts. It's not supported by most maps. I don't know about the internal coding in Sunken City, but most "advanced" maps will break when saved via game options.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
You cannot use the in-built save/load option on most maps because it does not correctly preserve the game state. For example periodic timers get set to "one-shot" and all data in array index 8191 is lost (or did it crash? I forget). That is probably only the tip of the iceberg as far as save/load bugs go.

Almost every multiplayer map does not support it or will break in some way if you use it. This has been the case for over a decade now when I first started playing WC3.

If the map is too long to complete in one sitting and lacks state preservation then you should rate the map badly and make a complaint against that map. Maps should be designed for 1 hour sessions at most, anything longer should only be for really dedicated fan-bases.

Level 8
Zwiebelchen, Dr Super Good,

then its baaadddd, it is not such a short map that we can complete it in one sitting, above that playing a game again from the start, after we couldnt do it in one sitting is toooo boring mannn, but then 'Sunken city' map is in RPG section....

we had to replay so many areas and kill the same bosses time and again because of the crashes that we have stopped playing it for now, it doesnt feel right.

Dr Super Good what are you talking about the technical stuff friend I dont understand a dot bit about these languages hahahahahahahaha, but man thanks for your help

we are playing duos version of tkok now

regards

Level 8
If sunken city does not provide a save/load system, I'm sure the maker took care of the game state bugs by not using timers at all. IIRC, Sunken Ruins is mostly GUI triggers.

OH! but then, if the so called 'game state bugs' can be taken care of by not using the 'Timers', then why should any map maker use 'timers' in the first place? what benefit do they have? not that I am a map maker and that i technically understand what you said but im just curious after what you said.

IIRC sunken ruins!??! is that a map as well, i'll search in the hive.

correction--oh u meant 'if i recall correctly' and 'sunken city'.
hahaha

Level 17
OH! but then, if the so called 'game state bugs' can be taken care of by not using the 'Timers', then why should any map maker use 'timers' in the first place?

About Timers:
Do you remember those Blizzard Campaigns that you had to stay alive for some time? (e.g. Hearthglen or Last RoC NE Campaign level)

They used timers. Timers are WAY Better than waits, because they are accurate.

Level 8
About Timers:
Do you remember those Blizzard Campaigns that you had to stay alive for some time? (e.g. Hearthglen or Last RoC NE Campaign level)

They used timers. Timers are WAY Better than waits, because they are accurate.

ok, but what about that accuracy of timers??? in that part of the campaigns those timers were just a gameplay thing, if a mapmaker doesnt want that type of timed scenario he wont put the limited time feature in his game,

what i mean is in other rpgs that mapmakers are creating where does this timer thing come in?? and when it does, all its doing is making the save/load feature bad, coz then even the quest progress arent saved, i hope u understand what i mean...

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Timers are not bugged on load, periodic timers are. If you set a timer to expire every 10 seconds after loading it will expire only the first 10 seconds then never again. This is a game bug since the same happens if you pause a periodic timer (it is resumed with correct timeout remaining as single shot).

The problem is with map design, a map maker should never make a map that needs more than 1 hour to finish. Take a look at SWAT Aftermath where the maximum length was 1 and a half hours odd and that was only on the hardest difficulties (not accessible to newbies, usually sessions lasted 30-60 minutes tops).

If they do they should introduce some sort of save support. Be it a trigger that corrects broken triggers from loading or even a code based system that vaguely restores state.

I remember the map in question and never ever got closed to finishing it for the reasons you stated (far far too long). As such I would rate that map very low because it is poorly designed.

Level 8
Timers are not bugged on load, periodic timers are. If you set a timer to expire every 10 seconds after loading it will expire only the first 10 seconds then never again. This is a game bug since the same happens if you pause a periodic timer (it is resumed with correct timeout remaining as single shot).

The problem is with map design, a map maker should never make a map that needs more than 1 hour to finish. Take a look at SWAT Aftermath where the maximum length was 1 and a half hours odd and that was only on the hardest difficulties (not accessible to newbies, usually sessions lasted 30-60 minutes tops).

If they do they should introduce some sort of save support. Be it a trigger that corrects broken triggers from loading or even a code based system that vaguely restores state.

I remember the map in question and never ever got closed to finishing it for the reasons you stated (far far too long). As such I would rate that map very low because it is poorly designed.

Yes, but I'm saying why to set these timers then? if they limit the mapmaker to make his map just for 1 hour length and cause so much load/save problems, just get rid of the 'timers'. Dont use the timers, is it possible to make maps without timers!? if yes, then people should so it, whats stopping them. I would love to play lengthy Rpgs that save/load without any problems.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Yes, but I'm saying why to set these timers then? if they limit the mapmaker to make his map just for 1 hour length and cause so much load/save problems, just get rid of the 'timers'. Dont use the timers, is it possible to make maps without timers!? if yes, then people should so it, whats stopping them. I would love to play lengthy Rpgs that save/load without any problems.
Because in multiplayer, nobody uses save game anyway (as it always requires the same players to be present to load).

So why throw away all the advantages of timers for a disadvantage that is negligible?

Level 8
Because in multiplayer, nobody uses save game anyway (as it always requires the same players to be present to load).

So why throw away all the advantages of timers for a disadvantage that is negligible?

I see, i see, coz most players play online, and suddenly smbdy has to leave the game, he just '-saves' his hero and leaves the game, and for this feature 'timers' are necessary. maybe this is what you mean. also maybe both of the save methods i.e save via game menu, and save via "-save/-load" commands are not together possible in a map, mapmakers have to go for the -save/-load method, hmmmmmm

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
I see, i see, coz most players play online, and suddenly smbdy has to leave the game, he just '-saves' his hero and leaves the game, and for this feature 'timers' are necessary. maybe this is what you mean. also maybe both of the save methods i.e save via game menu, and save via "-save/-load" commands are not together possible in a map, mapmakers have to go for the -save/-load method, hmmmmmm
... no.

Timers have nothing to do with save/load systems.

SpasMaster

Hosted Project: SC
Level 23
Alright, I clearly responded to shekhar9bittu's issue in the map section, but I guess it wasn't enough.

So to my knowledge, crashes that state "Not enough storage is available to process this command." occur due to memory leaks. I've always put a lot of effort and care into cleaning them, but recently I found out that the event <A unit takes damage> somehow leaks (obviously) which is why I am currently importing Weep's damage detection system. It's supposed to get rid of the issue, since it uses a different event.

However, now that I read this thread, I notice you guys are mentioning that timers stop working after loading the map. I have rarely used timers. Best case scenario I'd have no more than 10 of those, but since they appear to be problematic and even crash-causing I'll investigate the issue and remove them if necessary.

You cannot use the in-built save/load option on most maps because it does not correctly preserve the game state.
I have used the in-built save/load for over 5 years now and this is the first time this issue pops up. I guess that means it technically can be used if handled correctly.
If the map is too long to complete in one sitting and lacks state preservation then you should rate the map badly and make a complaint against that map. Maps should be designed for 1 hour sessions at most, anything longer should only be for really dedicated fan-bases.
I find it sad that you encourage poor rating based on issues that are actually game issues and not map issues. It is true those issues can be avoided, but in the current case, the only suggested way to avoid all of this is to use a save/load system. So, if I embark on creating a map of a genre that doesn't need save/load system and the map takes over 2 hours to complete, then the map should be rated badly?
Timers are not bugged on load, periodic timers are.
So do you refer to this:
[trigger=""]Events
Time - Every 1.00 seconds of game time
[/trigger]
or this:
[trigger=""]Countdown Timer - Start ChallengeTimer_Tomb as a One-shot timer that will expire in 300.00 seconds
[/trigger]
The problem is with map design, a map maker should never make a map that needs more than 1 hour to finish.
Now, correct me if I am wrong, but the best maps (according to popular opinion) in this site take over 2 hours to complete. So these are poorly designed maps? Or do you claim that a coding issue is "poor design"? If so I'm surprised that a person with your knowledge does not differentiate "Design" and "Coding".
Sunken City is meant to be played in one take. It's a dungeon crawler, not an RPG.
While I've used the in-built save/load countless times in the past, I can safely say that I've also completed it in one take a lot of times, so yeah - it takes no more than 3,5-4 hours to complete. Compared to certain RPG's in this site - that's nothing. You correctly clarify that it's a Dungeon Crawler. :)
If sunken city does not provide a save/load system, I'm sure the maker took care of the game state bugs by not using timers at all. IIRC, Sunken Ruins is mostly GUI triggers.
I was never aware of timers being an issue, but now that I know, I'll investigate and hopefully fix this. And yes, the map is 99% GUI.

Level 2
Dr Super Good, If you never played SC for more that 1 hour before, then you have no right to tell "it is poorly designed". Only because map is too big does not mean that too. Sunken City is a great map with good atmosphere. Dungeon Cravler genre isn't something that should be completed in 30 mins.
Also you should never tell people what to do and how to rank maps. You have your opinion, I have mine one. Only because you dont like this map does not mean everyone should rank it badly. At this point, I want to complain about you rather than about the SC.

To the first question. I played SC for a long time and Spasorc can confirm this. I played it more than 40 times and had save\load crashes only in 2.0.3(or 2.0.2, cant recall correctly) because of bug (btw, I found the reason witch caused this bug and it was quickly fixed in the next version). Except version mentioned above, save\load works without any issues and I'm sure this isn't Spasorc's fault.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I find it sad that you encourage poor rating based on issues that are actually game issues and not map issues. It is true those issues can be avoided, but in the current case, the only suggested way to avoid all of this is to use a save/load system. So, if I embark on creating a map of a genre that doesn't need save/load system and the map takes over 2 hours to complete, then the map should be rated badly?
Yes since 95% or more of people do not have such time. If most people were to play such a map they would end up leaving, complaining that they lost their progress and then rate it badly. The few that do complete it and think the time they spent was reasonable will rate it well but they will be in the minority. A map has to be possible to play and to most people 2 hours is not possible.

or this:
Countdown Timer - Start ChallengeTimer_Tomb as a One-shot timer that will expire in 300.00 seconds
Actually this...
  • Countdown Timer - Start ChallengeTimer_Tomb as a Repeating timer that will expire in 300.00 seconds
Although I am unsure if that is correct.

Periodic timers are bugged and not periodic events. You can turn a periodic trigger off and on and it is still periodic. You pause a periodic timer and it becomes "One-shot" when it is resumed.

Now, correct me if I am wrong, but the best maps (according to popular opinion) in this site take over 2 hours to complete. So these are poorly designed maps? Or do you claim that a coding issue is "poor design"? If so I'm surprised that a person with your knowledge does not differentiate "Design" and "Coding".
Actually the most popular map online "DotA Allstars" took under 1 hour to finish. Other popular maps like LoaP, Tower Mauls, DBZ Tribute, Vampirisim, Green TD etc all lasted under 1 hour mostly.

Then you get to a map like Hero Siege where after 1 and a bit hours either you had lost, or you were one of at most 3 people still playing (from a full house). This applies to all RPGs where after 1 hour mostly you had lost most of the people you started with.

From the outset of making a map you need to design for a 1 hour maximum play length under normal conditions (hard difficulties or special modes can go longer but those will not be attempted by most people). If your map runs longer than that for reasons (RPG, complexity, etc) you need some way of allowing people to continue where the left off. This responsibility is down to the map maker. Since everyone should know by now that the standard save/load system in WC3 is very buggy then they need to either work around that (make sure it works) or they need to use a save/load code to approximate the state (how most RPGs do it).

Blizzard already solved the problem with SC2 where you can save huge amounts of data to client side banks. There is no problem recording the state of 1,000 creeps, 100 quests and 3 heroes per player. If you keep using WC3 which is known to have a buggy in-built save/load system and no convenient client side storage then you need to design around that as a developer and cannot blame Blizzard for not updating a game they no longer maintain.
While I've used the in-built save/load countless times in the past, I can safely say that I've also completed it in one take a lot of times, so yeah - it takes no more than 3,5-4 hours to complete. Compared to certain RPG's in this site - that's nothing. You correctly clarify that it's a Dungeon Crawler. :)
4. English Only
- This is an English only site. All meaningful public statements must be in English.
3,500 to 4 hours is a bit excessive... I take it you were playing in shifts? I mean most humans are either in hospital or dead after 100 hours of no sleep.

To be more (or less) serious though, by the stage you get to 3.5 to 4 hours in a game you are likely the only one left playing. Normal people seldom have that much uninterrupted time to put into something. Such a map might be played as a LAN party or between friends but as a public map it is impossible since most people will join it unaware of the time required and so be forced to leave pre-maturely. Hence why some ability to resume state in a later session is important.

I was never aware of timers being an issue, but now that I know, I'll investigate and hopefully fix this. And yes, the map is 99% GUI.
Be aware that there are more than 2 things broken with the in-built save and load system. Timers running in periodic mode and array index 8191 are just two of them that I know for certain give problems. Unfortunately I do not know the rest but I do know that a lot of maps like SWAT Aftermath auto-kick you if you try to load a game since they break the map so badly the author did not want people even to try and play on after it loads.

Dr Super Good, If you never played SC for more that 1 hour before, then you have no right to tell "it is poorly designed".
I do not see how anything SC related has got to do with this topic.

Sunken City is a great map with good atmosphere. Dungeon Cravler genre isn't something that should be completed in 30 mins.
I agree, which is why such maps need to make sure that there is some way to resume progress in a later session. You should not spoil the map but you should also make sure that it is reasonable to play.

Also you should never tell people what to do and how to rank maps. You have your opinion, I have mine one. Only because you dont like this map does not mean everyone should rank it badly.
I was? I was simply telling a fact that if the map has unreasonable time demands then it has a fault as a result of poor design. Something that has a fault generally gets lower ratings because it is less perfect than something with fewer faults.

Fixing the fault would be by either shortening the map (bad as it spoils the experience), or allowing people to resume from where they stopped (recommended for this sort of map). Until the fault is fixed however it should be reflected on the ratting negatively.

To the first question. I played SC for a long time and Spasorc can confirm this. I played it more than 40 times and had save\load crashes only in 2.0.3(or 2.0.2, cant recall correctly) because of bug (btw, I found the reason witch caused this bug and it was quickly fixed in the next version). Except version mentioned above, save\load works without any issues and I'm sure this isn't Spasorc's fault.
Well it is crashing now.
Guys suddenly my warcraft 3 has started to crash when i load a saved game in multiplayer, we play on LAN (2 players), im on windows 8.1 and my friend on windows 8,

we're playing Sunken city latest version (2.0.4)
As you can see here. Which brings me back to what I said at the start.
Which since the map maker and you admit that it is meant to have "state preservation" in the form of in-built save/load but currently does not (or it breaks from time to time) this thread is now about resolving the fault with the map so it does have state preservation and so does deserve a good review.

Level 2
I do not see how anything SC related has got to do with this topic.
I was reffering to Sunken City.
I was? I was simply telling a fact that if the map has unreasonable time demands then it has a fault as a result of poor design. Something that has a fault generally gets lower ratings because it is less perfect than something with fewer faults.
As for me Sunken City has no "unreasonable time demands" unless you classify time to read info about shop items and\or time to travel to "battleground" as unreasonable. Both of them are in DotA too.
With this logic main Warcraft 3 campaing should have low rating.
Fixing the fault would be by either shortening the map (bad as it spoils the experience), or allowing people to resume from where they stopped (recommended for this sort of map). Until the fault is fixed however it should be reflected on the ratting negatively.
Well it is crashing now.
Which since the map maker and you admit that it is meant to have "state preservation" in the form of in-built save/load but currently does not (or it breaks from time to time) this thread is now about resolving the fault with the map so it does have state preservation and so does deserve a good review.
As you said, wc3 is old and unstable. It is impossible to fix everything at once by simple map editor.
BUT
As I said, I played a lot with different people and save\load works perfectly, even on 2.0.4. This means I am (and other 30 people from garena group) either VERY lucky or this one crash is not related to insides of map and thus do not deserves complaints or bad ranks for this.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
As for me Sunken City has no "unreasonable time demands" unless you classify time to read info about shop items and\or time to travel to "battleground" as unreasonable. Both of them are in DotA too.
Sitting down to play for 3.5-4 hours is unreasonable. DotA Allstar sessions only last ~1 hour.

With this logic main Warcraft 3 campaing should have low rating.
Each campaign mission was 30-60 minutes at most, again not 3.5-4 hours. Even then the standard save/load should have worked, after all that is how the Rexar campaign was implemented so people could stop whenever they wanted.

As I said, I played a lot with different people and save\load works perfectly, even on 2.0.4. This means I am (and other 30 people from garena group) either VERY lucky or this one crash is not related to insides of map and thus do not deserves complaints or bad ranks for this.
One way to test that would be if the original topic creator could upload the save of his session. You can then load it in LAN (since you can choose any name) and check if it loads fine for you. If you also get a "not enough storage space" error then it is a problem with the map that occurs very seldom. If it loads fine for you then it is a problem with the topic creator's WC3 installation which will need investigation.

SpasMaster

Hosted Project: SC
Level 23
Sitting down to play for 3.5-4 hours is unreasonable. DotA Allstar sessions only last ~1 hour.

Comparing a MOBA/AoS/HoweverTheyCallThemselvesNowadays to a Dungeon Crawler in terms of time required to finish is the only thing unreasonable here. Anyways, I am not here to argue, but to fix any potential issues or problems, so I'll update with any information I gather after I release the next version which is supposed to fix the issue.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Comparing a MOBA/AoS/HoweverTheyCallThemselvesNowadays to a Dungeon Crawler in terms of time required to finish is the only thing unreasonable here.
It has nothing to do with time to finish, but rather the time it takes in one sitting that must be compared. You cannot expect people to have a 4 hour long time slot to play something in one sitting. The WC3 campaign takes many hours to complete (a lot more than 4) but people do not need to do it in one sitting (they can always stop after a map or even save during a map).

Level 2
One way to test that would be if the original topic creator could upload the save of his session. You can then load it in LAN (since you can choose any name) and check if it loads fine for you. If you also get a "not enough storage space" error then it is a problem with the map that occurs very seldom. If it loads fine for you then it is a problem with the topic creator's WC3 installation which will need investigation.
As far as I know, multiplayer saves are unique for each PC. I tried to give one of my MP savegames to someone once and it did not work.
It has nothing to do with time to finish, but rather the time it takes in one sitting that must be compared. You cannot expect people to have a 4 hour long time slot to play something in one sitting. The WC3 campaign takes many hours to complete (a lot more than 4) but people do not need to do it in one sitting (they can always stop after a map or even save during a map).
That's why Sunken City HAS save possibility and it is stupid to tell that map is bad only because two players from more that 100 are getting crash in one of their games. It's like telling that LoL or DotA 2 are bad games because they do crash sometimes.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
As far as I know, multiplayer saves are unique for each PC. I tried to give one of my MP savegames to someone once and it did not work.
I do know you need the same account names as the players in the session, but I do not see why else they would be unique.

That's why Sunken City HAS save possibility and it is stupid to tell that map is bad only because two players from more that 100 are getting crash in one of their games. It's like telling that LoL or DotA 2 are bad games because they do crash sometimes.
A map is not good if it crashes for you. Hence he has the right to rate it badly because it is not working for him. This happens all the time with commercial games, where people say how terrible a game is because it is not working for them properly. Recently this has happened to Batman Arkham Knight where the game was rated "unplayable" so much so that they recalled the game from Steam until they fix the problems, meanwhile it is receiving much praise on XBO and PS4.

I personally cannot rate the map as I last played it a very long time ago. I was merely suggesting that it is his right to rate the map as "bad" since it is not working for him. Obviously the best solution would be if the problem could be resolved (which it sounds like it should be soon) and that way he can enjoy the map and so rate it well.

I think people are getting too worked up over nothing.

Level 8
Alright, I clearly responded to shekhar9bittu's issue in the map section, but I guess it wasn't enough.

Hello spasorc,

I was unable to spot the answer you posted to the crash in the maps section man, thats why i posted the question here. I apologize for that plz forgive me.

To all-

wc3 customs maps are a great way to have fun quality time friends, and all the map makers are great guys who make efforts and create these maps for people to play for free, i am grateful to spasorc and all the mapmakers for this.

Do not know if the map creations have something to do with money, or any other ambition. coz things going towards these ways mostly are corrupt from the start.

i love the sunken city map, coz I had HUGE amounts of fun with it.

The irritation that was coz of the crash is true and it IS a part of the design of the FULL GAME (philosophically) as Drsupergood says, because the map has been delivered to people for playing in that state. Correct- the full design of the map can be broken down into sections like map terrain design, character design etc.

So for now if someone has to rate it, he/she has to rate it according to its current state of design, and playability both.

However, the scales are different, this is not cut throat business where we will find every excuse to kill each other, as i said i am grateful to people like you in hive who help me and my friends have fun. You guys are great and best and awesome. I want more maps more rpgs more sexy, stylish characters, and less and less crashes, just that lolz..and for this we all should help each other, and i think thats why Hive was made.

keep up the good work

Me and my friend are eagerly waiting for the sunken city update, those last missions are waiting for us too

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.