• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Miscellanous / Other] Warcraft 3 Bash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Warcraft 3 Bash

Desc.

Warcraft 3 Bash is a 1-12 player party game. Players compete against each other in mini-games to achieve victory. Whoever performs the best at multiple mini-games wins the game of Warcraft 3 Bash.

Feats.
  • Cohesive theme would be humorous and focus on internal jokes from World Editor communities.
  • Mini-game list will include simplified imitations of popular maps throughout the ages under a cohesive theme: Dark Deeds, Wintermaul, LOAP, Footies, Melee, SWAT, etc.
  • Multiple avatars can be selected. Each avatar will represent a cultural theme in the Wc3 modding community.
Game.
  • Game starts with selecting an avatar.
  • Players have 30 seconds to vote on exp bonus.
  • Default game gives avatars about 3 levels each 1st place, 2 levels each 2nd place, 1 level each 3rd place (short game).
  • All mini-games rank players at end.
  • After 30 seconds have passed, a random avatar will be assigned to players who have yet to choose one.
  • All opened slots are filled by computer players.
  • Game sends log update to inform players the objective of the game.
  • Game runs a dice roll to select mini-game order.
  • Mini-games will be executed until: a player's avatar reaches level 10 or the game list runs out.
  • Player with the most exp wins.
LFG.

PM me to apply. A team would work better as I imagine there are many people who would want to build a map but don't want to build the entire thing. In your PM, please include more than interest. I would like to see anything you've worked on. Please also include how many hours you'd be willing to dedicate towards this project.
  • Creative Director - Aids in designing cohesive theme for game, creates agile platform to meet deadlines, recruits creative team, and proposes ideas to developer group.
  • Developer - Map developers propose, write, and create triggers/scripts for game.
  • Map Designer - Map designer revises map environments to improve aesthetics.
  • Game Designer - Game designer creates separate mini-games.
  • Graphic Designer - Designer provides promotional and in-game content.

Log

• 2016-07-07 Created first post concerning game idea.

Level 13
Mini-game list will include simplified imitations of popular maps throughout the ages under a cohesive theme: Dark Deeds, Wintermaul, LOAP, Footies, Melee, SWAT, etc.

The problem i see with this is that some popular maps, by their nature, can last quite a long time (LOAP), some can have a varying length depending on player skill (footies) and some just don't last long at all. If you're making a simple imitation, then you're obviously going to break down the complexity of these games, but i don't think that by itself will ensure that these "mini-games" don't become drawn out long games.
Mini-games by definition shouldn't last too long, and i suggest you add some sort of sudden death/soft enrage mechanic to the games (e.g. after X time, all units degenerate 1% hp per sec) to give your map an overall acceptable pace.

Furthermore, i assume you've factored in that a lot of popular maps have different force set-ups, e.g. Footies/Arenas/RvS/Melees are usually Player versus Player, whilst other popular titles like TDs, Hero Defenses/Survivals, RPGs, tend to be Player versus AI. How do you plan to have a mix of these in a single map?

Game sends log update to inform players the objective of the game.

If the objective can't be summed up as a few points via game message, then you've failed to create a simple imitation :p

Level 4
>> If the objective can't be summed up as a few points via game message, then you've failed to create a simple imitation

You misread.

>> Furthermore

tldr

Seriously, I did think this out. I'm not an idiot.

---

I don't know how much interest I have in pursuing this project right now. If you're interested, please send me a note. Otherwise I'm going to ignore comments about the project as a whole. I'm not interested in your 5 minute assessment.

I spent: 2 hours charting up the ideas the night before while having insomnia and drinking tea. The idea seemed fun, and I began writing pseudo code. But realized it would take too long just by myself to make the design just right. This was an invitation for people to participate not to criticize.

I have plenty of professional programming and design work to do otherwise.

So if you dislike the idea, let the thread fall to the bottom.

Last edited:
Level 13
5 minute assessment? And a lifetime of experience on W3 custom games!

I don't dislike it, but there are concerns that you seem to want to ignore/don't want to address. Your reply obviously suggests you don't know how to deal with the things I highlighted. Good luck finding people.

Status
Not open for further replies.