• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 2 Reborn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hi there, I'm currently making a sort of "total-conversion", if you will, kind of map. What my map is supposed to do is to "emulate" Warcraft 2: Tides Of Darkness in Warcraft 3. The features I'm planning to have in the map are these:

• WC2 units, buildings, and tech tree
  • WC2 spells
  • WC2 sounds for units, buildings, and sound effects. Not all sound effects will be able to be replaced, but I will manage to do those such as axe throws
  • WC2 music (that is, race-specific music will play according to player's race)
  • Unit stats will be balanced, like in WC2
  • WC2 icons (for units, spells, etc)

However, for the moment I will exclude naval units and oil, since those are, for multiple reasons, really difficult to implement, so for the time being I will simply focus on land and air units. In addition, unless someone is willing to do the effort I will not be using custom models, I'll just be using Warcraft 3 models that fit best with each unit. I've done a tiny bit of model editing, but that was simply to remove the hero glow from the Death Knight (which I will use for, um, the Death Knight).

Anyway, I'll get to the main point. The music I will be using is in MIDI format, and after looking for ages I managed to find a way to use it. Using this tutorial, (I obtained the ZIP from somewhere here at The Hive) I got it working. As I understand, the tutorial is only to allow the editor to compile MIDI files in a map properly, and all other PCs, regardless of following the steps or not, should be able to play the music in the map.
Now, I followed the steps, and my music played perfectly. I even managed to make it play one track random from the 4 different Human tracks. However, when I tested it on another PC, it just didn't work. I didn't get an error or something, I just didn't hear it.

Since I suspect that it might have been something with the PC, I'd like to ask if anyone can test it for me, I've attached the map. I know that it's highly undeveloped and all that, two sides with only one player, but I just want to know if the music works. If it doesn't, then is there something wrong with the tutorial? Or did I do something wrong?

Thanks in advance guys. (Note: BTW, even though the units change to Orcs because of your race, the music at this stage is only Human)

Attachments

• Warcraft 2 Reborn.w3x
    3.6 MB · Views: 354
Last edited:
Level 7
Holy moly those are exactly what I need, particularly the Death Knight and Ogre. The Catapult and Ballista I could find in Warcraft 3, but these are even better. Thanks so much for directing me to those, I will definitely use them and give credit.

Yet, one trifle remains... a male Elven Archer. The general model looks OK, and I'm going to use the WC2 icon, but the portrait model...

Still, can someone check if the music works for them?

Last edited:
Level 7
Thanks so much, again you're right on the dot with what I need. Not my favourite face, but don't take that as a complaint, simply personal opinion. This is exactly what I need.

Level 7
Bump... I'd still like someone to see if the MIDI music works for them. I'm really paranoid that it won't work and I'll have to figure it out all over again...

Level 10
I'm going to test it now, I'll edit this post when I'm done.

EDIT: Allright, the music isn't working.
You'll have to work on the custom buildings, I notice that it says "Build Mercenary camp", and you build a Stable. The thing is that you have to alter the tooltips, tooltip - Basic is the "Build ...." Tooltip, and the tooltip - extended is the one for other information.

Last edited:
Level 7
You'll have to work on the custom buildings, I notice that it says "Build Mercenary camp", and you build a Stable. The thing is that you have to alter the tooltips, tooltip - Basic is the "Build ...." Tooltip, and the tooltip - extended is the one for other information.

Yes, I know, as I said above I know that the map is super underdeveloped, there are a million and one things that aren't complete. All I want at this stage is music testing. I know how to alter tooltips.

Thanks for doing that though. So it doesn't work... I will upload a new version later on (I'll say when I've done it) and then you can test again.

EDIT: I've updated the map. It worked with me last time I tried it, but for some strange reason it seems to only work sometimes.
Anyway, see if it works now. If not... :sad:

Last edited:
Level 7
Then either I did something wrong during the tutorial or the tutorial itself is wrong...

I think it's the latter, yet I'm hoping it's the former. I'll have a look around and see which one it is.

Level 7
Please read the entirety of my first post as it regards both situations.

It'd be really handy if everybody read that before replying to the thread. Thanks.

Level 7
Yeah, I thought it might be that. Yet Chocobo, the person who posted it, says later on:

Chocobo said:
Updated. It is only to allow Warcraft 3 World Editor to recorganize MIDI files as Sound/Music files. The sound will appears when you are playing after or not doing the steps. (You don't have to do those steps if you want only hear MIDI sounds, but you must do those steps if you want to import them into a map).

The files didn't appear as Sound/Music files, and I thought it a possibility that it might be a false "update", but I still thought it would work.

So, it seems the tutorial didn't do what Chocobo said. Well, that's why I asked in the first place, I wanted to see if it worked like that.

So... does anyone happen to know one that does allow people to hear my MIDI music without having to do anything themselves? I don't mind doing any more registry editing, I just want it to work like any other music file...

Status
Not open for further replies.