• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 1 spell Reforged (Summon Daemon/)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
I'm curious to know if anyone has tried to copy the Warcraft 1 spell Summon Daemon by the Orcish Warlock in Reforged? I'd like to get as close as possible to the originality of Warcraft 1 when it comes to this specific spell. So the Warlock self-sacrifices to summon basically a Doomguard. Would anyone know how to set up the triggers accordingly or is it even possible with the features in World Editor?

Level 9
Event -
Unit starts the effects of an ability.

Conditions -
Ability being cast equal to Summon Daemon

Actions -
Kill (casting unit)

Damn, that was a quick reply and much thanks. I haven't messed with the trigger editor since around the time FT was still fairly new. Trying to learn the WE better and eventually try to work with models or even learn simple reskins so I can contribute to the HIVE. I have GIMP and Cascview which I haven't even bothered messing with yet, forgot what they were even for.

Level 9
Turned out real buggy for some reason. The game studdered then took me back to my great hall and the unit didn't die in the specific spot but more like a good distance away. Also currently having issues trying to set it for Warlock trained unit and not just existing units on the map. I used the item to summon doomguard for the actual spell.

Last edited:
You'll probably need to make the trigger a teeny bit more complex I just gave you the sort of general trigger for you to work on, but if you want I can make it up for you later tonight when I'm on the editor.

Although if you show me the trigger you've got just now then I could see what the problem is.

Level 9
As you can see I can only select any existing warlock units on the map. Yeah I'm still a noob at this have been since OG WC3. lol

Attachments

• upload_2021-2-1_11-19-54.png
    upload_2021-2-1_11-19-54.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 46
I see you'll want to create a new Trigger not put it into the map initialisation one.

And for the event just use the Generic unit one, not the specific unit.

• Summon Demon
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • And - All (Conditions) are true
        • Conditions
          • (Ability being cast) Equal to Summon Sea Elemental
          • (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to Orc Warlock
    • Actions
      • Unit - Kill (Casting unit)
Here's what it should look like with your ability replacing the summon Sea Elemental

Level 9
I know I'm making a simple mistake I haven't caught onto yet. Any recommendations on what ability you used and how you set it up in the Object Editor? The unit just dies and that is it after casting said spell. I know it is something small I'm not seeing. Everything was set up exactly as yours. I think when I tinkered with the Summon Water Elemental ability I was thinking that it would change the model, but technically I think you just change the model from the unit section instead from said model from ability section. I really don't know but I'm about to see if that is the issue.

Last edited:

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
I see you'll want to create a new Trigger not put it into the map initialisation one.

And for the event just use the Generic unit one, not the specific unit.

• Summon Demon
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
        • Conditions
          • (Ability being cast) Equal to Summon Sea Elemental
          • (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to Orc Warlock
    • Actions
      • Unit - Kill (Casting unit)
Here's what it should look like with your ability replacing the summon Sea Elemental
There's no need for And - All (Conditions) are true. All Conditions need to be True by default.

AND is meant to be used with OR, so you can create Conditions like this:

• example
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Dies
    • Conditions
      • Or - Any (Conditions) are true
        • Conditions
          • (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to Footman
            • Conditions
              • (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to Rifleman
              • (Owner of (Triggering unit)) Equal to Player 1 (Red)
    • Actions
      • -------- do stuff --------
If the dying unit is a Footman, or if it's a Rifleman owned by Player 1, then the Actions run.

I've looked through a lot maps where people were using AND for no reason at all. I think it's only ever needed when you want to pair Conditions together inside of an OR, which is usually pretty rare.

Last edited:
Level 9
There's no need for And - All (Conditions) are true. All Conditions need to be True by default.

AND is meant to be used with OR, so you can create Conditions like this:

• example
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Dies
    • Conditions
      • Or - Any (Conditions) are true
        • Conditions
          • (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to Footman
            • Conditions
              • (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to Rifleman
              • (Owner of (Triggering unit)) Equal to Player 1 (Red)
    • Actions
      • -------- do stuff --------
If the dying unit is a Footman, or if it's a Rifleman owned by Player 1, then the Actions run.

I've looked through a lot maps where people were using AND for no reason at all. I think it's only ever needed when you want to pair Conditions together inside of an OR, which is usually pretty rare.
It's exactly like how Footman did his. Exact to the T. So I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

It's exactly like how Footman did his. Exact to the T. So I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

When it comes to the effect, some abilities work differently for when it classes as "starts effects" etc. Try the event "Finishes Casting" instead and see if that Works :)

@Uncle yeah its force of habit I use the and-all conditions are true, bad habit but I don't think it does any harm, I'll keep that in mind in future :)

Level 12
When it comes to the effect, some abilities work differently for when it classes as "starts effects" etc. Try the event "Finishes Casting" instead and see if that Works :)

Effect of ability is most efficient way. Imo all the other ones are a bit lack luster and feel bugged.

Level 9
And just like that it works! Thanks much guys, truly appreciate the input y'all provided. Going to tinker with it a little. Want to see if I can make it channel for a few seconds before death. Hope I don't screw anything up. If you got any ideas of how to make that work let me know.

Last edited:

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Oh, you should use the Summoned unit Event instead. Like DoomBlade said, any cast Event besides "Starts effect" has room for error or at the very least behavior that is intended for specific situations.
  • Events:
  • A unit spawns a summoned unit
  • Conditions:
  • Unit-type of summoned unit = Summon Sea Elemental
  • Actions:
  • Kill Summoning unit
I know from experience that you can bypass the Finishes Casting Event by issuing certain orders after casting an ability. I forget the details, but I'm pretty sure animation cancelling will bypass it.

Level 9
Oh, you should use the Summoned unit Event instead. Like DoomBlade said, any cast Event besides "Starts effect" has room for error or at the very least behavior that is intended for specific situations.
  • Events:
  • A unit spawns a summoned unit
  • Conditions:
  • Unit-type of summoned unit = Summon Sea Elemental
  • Actions:
  • Kill Summoning unit
I know from experience that you can bypass the Finishes Casting Event by issuing certain orders after casting an ability. I forget the details, but I'm pretty sure animation cancelling will bypass it.

This is working the same as what I used from Footman16. The issue I'm having is when I summon the Doomguard the Warlock dies just as intended, but it also summons the spiders to, and aside from that the "Spawn Spiders" icon isn't even present.

Last edited:
Effect of ability is most efficient way. Imo all the other ones are a bit lack luster and feel bugged.

Yeah usually, and it's what I recommended he use originally however in the case of this summoning spell the summoned unit does not spawn in correspondence with the "start of the effects". Hence why I recommend he use another one.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
This is working the same as what I used from Footman16. The issue I'm having is when I summon the Doomguard the Warlock dies just as intended, but it also summons the spiders to, and aside from that the "Spawn Spiders" icon isn't even present.
What spiders? When did spiders get mixed up in all of this :p

It should be fairly simple. Give your unit a summon ability, let's base it on Summon Water Elemental, replace the abilities summoned unit-type to the Doomguard, and then use that trigger to detect when the Doomguard is summoned and kill the Summoner in response.

If other units are being summoned when the unit is killed then that's completely unrelated to anything we're doing here. You should remove whatever is spawning those spiders, whether it be an ability or trigger.

Unless you want some entirely different interaction that you haven't mentioned. The more details you provide the better we can help you, we're not mind readers after all :p

Last edited:
Level 9

It should be fairly simple. Give your unit a summon ability, let's base it on Summon Water Elemental, replace the abilities summoned unit-type to the Doomguard, and then use that trigger to detect when the Doomguard is summoned and kill the Summoner in response.

If other units are being summoned when the unit is killed then that's completely unrelated to anything we're doing here. You should remove whatever is spawning those spiders, whether it be an ability or trigger.

Unless you want some entirely different interaction that you haven't mentioned. The more details you provide the better we can help you, we're not mind readers after all :p

I ended up removing the "Spawn spiders" ability and just went back to the default "Unholy Frenzy" ability. So in total I couldn't really find many spells that can suit the Warlock so I did Death Coil, "Spawn Spiders" (Switched back to default ability), and Summon Doomguard. Just a quick question, do you think this can work with just using the item "Demonic Figurine" which summons a Doomguard anyways in place of Summon Sea Elemental instead?

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
You can edit the Summon Sea Elemental ability (or any summon ability) to summon Doomguards instead. The ability shouldn't really matter unless you want different mechanics. For example, you could base the ability off of Summon Serpent Ward if you wanted to summon the Doomguard at a target point instead of instantly.

Anyway, I still don't fully understand your problem as you haven't explained what you want to happen:
"The issue I'm having is when I summon the Doomguard the Warlock dies just as intended, but it also summons the spiders to, and aside from that the "Spawn Spiders" icon isn't even present."

From the sound of it everything is working exactly as it should. The Warlock dies which summons the Doomguard, and the Spawn Spiders ability goes off because the Warlock died.

Are you saying that you DON'T want the spiders to spawn if the Warlock dies from summoning a Doomguard? If that's the case then an easy fix is to remove the Spawn Spider ability from the Warlock right before you kill it.
  • Actions:
  • Remove Spawn Spiders from Summoning unit
  • Kill Summoning unit
Also, some abilities don't have Icons for whatever reason. An easy fix is to give the Warlock an extra passive ability that does nothing, for example Storm Hammers, and use that as the Icon.

Additionally, you can hide ANY ability Icon by setting it's Art - Button Position to X: 0, Y: -11.

Note that you'll have to hold the SHIFT key when opening the editor field in order to type in negative values. You also have to make sure that this feature is enabled in your World Editor as well.
To do this, go to File/Preferences/General and enable: Allow negative real values in the Object Editor.

The SHIFT key is also used for exceeding editor limits, so if a field ever prevents you from typing say "100", you can usually Shift-click the field to bypass this limit and type whatever value you want.

This is how abilities like a Negative Armor aura are created. You edit Devotion Aura so that it's Targets Allowed are set to Enemies instead of Allies and change it's Bonus Armor to negative values.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.