• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Walking animation problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I made an edit of a model where he uses an axe instead of a ball and chain. The walk animation does not suit the axe, because it appears as if he's using it as a cane.
lizprev.gif

I wanted to make it look like he's dragging the axe, but I'm very bad at it and the result is very jittery. I'm hoping someone can do it for me, or at least teach me how to animate it properly.

Permission has been given by the model's author:

permit.png

Level 20
The easiest way to 'fix' this is to first delete all the animation data for the Right Hand Bone for the Walk Animation and then redo it from there. The 'jitter' is almost certainly because your new animation data is fighting with the existing old animation data so it's often easier to clean the slate, so to speak.

Of course, if the Right Hand isn't sufficient to get what you want, you start moving up to the next Parent bone up the chain, which is usually Arm2 Right or Fore Arm, and then repeat the above process.

I'm not going to tell you how your thing should look, but a good place to start is to just start with a stiff right arm trailing behind the body (both start and end keyframes identical) and then add the in-between animations as you see fit.

Level 21
How do you delete a bone's animation data?
You can find the bone in the Node Manager of War3 Model Editor; then right-click it; Edit Node; select a transformation (limbs usually only have Rotation) and delete the keyframes from the Walk sequence.

You can also do this by using MDLX Converter to convert the model into the MDL format; then open it with Notepad, find the bone by searching for it by its name (so you don't have to scroll down for five minutes); delete the keyframes from the Walk sequence and convert the model back to MDX.

I suggest you delete the keyframes one by one, starting from the middle of the Walk sequence, and testing to see what the animation looks like after the removal of each line. Don't delete the first and the last keyframe of the Walk sequence until the ones between them are removed, unless you're absolutely sure that those are the problem.

Last edited:
Level 3
Would you send a copy of the model to me? If I can find the time, I'm willing to try to make the axe-dragging smoother

Last edited:
Level 20
It's okay if it doesn't look perfect the first time around. Everyone starts somewhere. Just think of what you just did and apply what you learned from that the next time you take a shot at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.