• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

W3X Tools (Beta)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
The most benefit of doing so is to have multiple map layouts stored into code and being able to change them dynamially in game

Okay so this system tries to apply world editor save data as good as possible using natives ingame by transforming it to Jass?
Or I don't really understand the description. Maybe add a small example map showcasing this "dynamic loading"?
Sounds interesting nonetheless, even though I probably don't have a use case rn.

Thanks! Description will be improved over time.^^

I added an image at the very top for a better overview. The generator basically just generates text as outpout, doing it for each found table entry. But by default for example, if I open a map's terrain file with this tool, and press "Generate all", then it would give me ready to use JASS code to create the entire map terrain. It just loops over all found terrain tiles from table and creates the respective SetTerrainType function call. Like in the screenshot. I can now take this code and put it some other map to re-create it there. Usually it makes sense to limit the generation to a certain x/y min/max bounds, etc.

There are just small test examples without much sense on my comp, but I try to post a concrete one soon.
A friend wanted to have for example the cities in his map to have different terrain styles, winter/summer, and he wanted to change it dynamically in game. And doing such terrain changes manually and with fixed coordinates can be a bit awful. So he wanted just to take a "rect" out of the map, and have the terrain stored in code automatically.

Level 8
im getting error
error.png

Level 11
Just wanted to get some clarification what this actually does, does this in essence allow one to generate terrain like one would do in a procedural generating system except in a more controlled manner at run time?

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Just wanted to get some clarification what this actually does, does this in essence allow one to generate terrain like one would do in a procedural generating system except in a more controlled manner at run time?
It basically allows storing multiple terrain, destructable, unit Layouts in a single map file, making it esentially possible to combine multiple maps into one file.

Status
Not open for further replies.