• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

VultureRider

Just got bored on Sunday, so i decided to make a new model. I just thought of making an undead light airborne, so i came across the idea of making a carrion vulture, mounted by a skeleton archer. It's supposed to be a light scout and maybe infantry killing unit. Little armored and pretty fast moving. Not much to say about it, just a pretty simple re-edit. It uses the skeleton and anims from the mounted Hippogryph (Hyppogryph Rider), with a few simplifactions. Removed unnecessary bones & helper objects in order to decrease the filesize. Sounds & event objects have been adjusted to fit the model. Feel free to use it in any way you like, incl. editing it. Have fun with it!

EDIT 1: a dear member named Marcos DAB made a custom icon for this model! The model is the same, it hasn't been changed.

Keywords:
undead airborne, undead, skeletal rider, skeleton, archer, rider, vulture rider, undead rider, flying rider, vulture, carrion archer, archer,
Contents

VultureRider (Model)

VultureRider (Model)

Reviews
21:22, 7th Dec 2012 -Grendel: absolutely wonderful.
This is one of your best models, Uncle. It may be simple, but it has less flaws than most of your other models. A lot of your models end up being more complicated than this, sure, but they often look unfinished, as though there are many things that could have been done better. This one doesn't really have much wrong with it.

The idea and execution of this is simply great. I'm giving you a 4/5. You could perhaps work on the texture wrap of the bones to make them look more detailed, they're a bit too paper-white right now.

This is one of your best models, Uncle. It may be simple, but it has less flaws than most of your other models. A lot of your models end up being more complicated than this, sure, but they often look unfinished, as though there are many things that could have been done better. This one doesn't really have much wrong with it.

The idea and execution of this is simply great. I'm giving you a 4/5. You could perhaps work on the texture wrap of the bones to make them look more detailed, they're a bit too paper-white right now.
ty :ogre_hurrhurr: Yeah, but it ain't that much noticeable ingames. It's not a huge assault creature either, as long as it isn't scaled up ingames. But thanks for the advice.

@ all of you: be prepared, my next model will be much more.....weird/strange. :wink: I can only reveal so far that it's going to be a sea-unit this time and the mesh will be partly scratched. :wink:

planning an octopus or what? :p
no, not an octopus. But it is something completely new as a unit. :wink:

now thats is good,an vulture rider would be an great infantry killer,vulnerable to archers but immune to infantry XD
that's exactly what it's supposed to be. :thumbs_up: a light airborne anti-infantry unit :thumbs_up:

looks cewl!
ty :ogre_hurrhurr:

OMG, what an epic model.
thx :ogre_hurrhurr:

That would be amazing... But it would need an animator with a LOT of spare time.
not necessarely. I plan to make a similar creature too, if i find enough time :wink:

hive needs new animators
definitly. :vw_sad: The old ones mostly retired and the new good ones are only a hand full, which is way to low for the needs of the Hive. :vw_sad:

Level 7
Nice model you got there. I haven't got the time to test it in game, but I think the texture is well made as it doesn't lose a lot of quality as of the scale. 4/5

Level 48
Nice stuff. Though, I do believe the vulture might look a bit more intimidating and "undead" if you removed it's eyes, and left some empty socks in their place. Maybe even make the sockets glow red. This could probably be done by simply rewrapping the eyes to another part of the texture(or another texture altogether).
Also, do you mind detailing how exactly did you achieve this? Did you use Reteras' tool? Because you merged the Vulture, Skeleton and Hippogryph Rider perfectly! I am genuinely impressed. ^^

Nice stuff. Though, I do believe the vulture might look a bit more intimidating and "undead" if you removed it's eyes, and left some empty socks in their place. Maybe even make the sockets glow red. This could probably be done by simply rewrapping the eyes to another part of the texture(or another texture altogether).
Also, do you mind detailing how exactly did you achieve this? Did you use Reteras' tool? Because you merged the Vulture, Skeleton and Hippogryph Rider perfectly! I am genuinely impressed. ^^
ty :ogre_hurrhurr: Hm, your suggestion sounds quite good. :thumbs_up: Lol, no. I just made the mesh in Milkshape, exported it as .mdx, converted it in Magos to .mdl, as well as the Hippogryph and then merged them in Geoset Merger. Afterwards, i assigned the vertices to the corresponding bones in MDLVIS. :wink: Reteras' tool? To be honest, i haven't even heard of that before. :vw_sad: If you like this model, just wait for the next one :wink: It will be more detailed, but as mentioned above, this time a sea-unit and from a different race. :wink: It should be finished tomorrow or on Friday. :wink: