• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Vote For a Map Sorting by Map Update Date

Should the Hive keep maps sorted by create date, update date, or both?

• Sort Maps by Create Date

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sort Maps by Update Date

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Have a Choice Between the Both Options in the Hive Menu

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Do you guys want the maps in the map section to be sorted by create date, as it stands now, or do you want them sorted by update date, as it once was on the old site? Please vote here. Thanks!!!

Level 11
It's very possible that we will provide more sorting options in the future.

For now, you can still append ?order=last_edit_date&direction=dsc to your URL manually and it will sort them by last edit date in descending order.

e.g. http://www.hiveworkshop.com/repositories/models.530/?order=last_edit_date&direction=dsc to sort models by last edit date.

Thank you, I just wanted an option for maps sorted by update date built into the website menu, if that is possible.

Level 19
I vote for the search dialog but nothing else

most modern gamers are noobs who don't know what a good game is, hence sorting like this will put all the noobs in front

not cool

Level 11
It doesn't seem like there is much room in the column headers. We can add it for the search dialog though.

Maybe you guys could add, in the column header area, where it currently lists maps by create date, a drop down menu option where the user can select a map sort by most recent update date. Otherwise, adding a most recent update option to the search dialog would be a good idea too. Thanks!

Level 11
I am not against sorting the maps by create date by default, I just want a sort by update date option in the column header or the search dialog to see the latest updated maps.

Last edited:
Level 1
I seriously would like to argue for the old method being brought back. There currently is no possible way to search for games based on what is the newest map period. The old method was much better and made looking for games much easier. In all honesty who specifically looks for games based on creation date alone? Updated and or created together make sense. What if a game made a few years ago receives a massive update? It would not be at the top for everyone to see. I only used this site for searching for maps entirely because of how easy it was to look for newly updated maps. Either please bring back the old method or at least allow users to choose. I see no reason to change a system that was previously working.

Also now it looks like new maps are added maybe once very few weeks instead of like before where updated made it look like almost every day a new map was added.

Lastly I just want to point out that sorting by "Creation Date" and not having it include that updated in that list makes no sense at all. When listing by created you are assuming it is when that particular version of the map was made, not when the first version came out. Version X of a map is not the same map as version Y.

I'm sure the decision to change the system was thought through, but this really is not an good method of sorting maps. I can't see myself using this site to look for maps until it is resolved since now it is a much bigger hassle for me to find a newly updated map.

The "?order=last_edit_date&direction=dsc" does not work for maps section on chrome.

Level 1
It doesn't seem like there is much room in the column headers. We can add it for the search dialog though.

There is a lot of room there. There Creation Date Column takes up the same space as the "Name" column. There is plenty of room to add "Updated" or "Most Recent"

At this point I honestly don't care anymore. I just want a method for searching by updated, like how I was happily doing before the site update. If you provide me a way to do what I easily did before I will be extremely happy.

Level 1
fladdermasken already provided a link you can use today. But yes, will get to it.

I just reread what I wrote and realize I may have come across as rude or aggressive. I am sorry about that. Thank you for all the effort you have put into this site.

Level 23
I seriously would like to argue for the old method being brought back. There currently is no possible way to search for games based on what is the newest map period. The old method was much better and made looking for games much easier. In all honesty who specifically looks for games based on creation date alone? Updated and or created together make sense. What if a game made a few years ago receives a massive update? It would not be at the top for everyone to see.

I agree with this man.

Level 23
I have now added ordering by "Most Recently Updated" to the search page

Thanks once again.
However I also strongly suggest you consider what the other users have said in that sort by most recently updated (ie. like ze old site) should be the default search setting.

Reasons being that actual upload/creation date isn't a very useful metric unless you are the creator of said map trying to remember when you uploaded your map. As far a player is concerned, I find that knowing which maps have been recently updated (ie. have new content) more useful.
And sure, you can argue that "just use the alternate search setting" which is good and all for us long term site users, but please do note that majority of people who download/play and give feedback on maps are usually just passing through and not veteran users of the site.

Level 11
Thanks once again.
However I also strongly suggest you consider what the other users have said in that sort by most recently updated (ie. like ze old site) should be the default search setting.

Reasons being that actual upload/creation date isn't a very useful metric unless you are the creator of said map trying to remember when you uploaded your map. As far a player is concerned, I find that knowing which maps have been recently updated (ie. have new content) more useful.
And sure, you can argue that "just use the alternate search setting" which is good and all for us long term site users, but please do note that majority of people who download/play and give feedback on maps are usually just passing through and not veteran users of the site.

Actually, I change my mind, I think that sorting maps by most recently updated would be a better default sorting setting than sorting maps by create/upload date too.

Last edited:
Level 26
I was about to post a similiar thread, but see taht you have gotten far in the discussion here already.
I agree with previous posters that recently updated maps should be a default listing order in the maps section (or all sections).

When this was changed with Hive 2.0, I never felt very interested in updating my maps, since I knew I wouldn't get feedback for them. I think the same goes for the Spasmaster's "Sunken City" which was very well updated in the past. Now, he hasn't updated in more than a month, which is a shame, since that is a really epic map that got killed by the changes. :/

I vote for having "most recently updated" order by default! :)

I have now added ordering by "Most Recently Updated" to the search page.
Hmm.
I couldn't see this anywhere. Did I not search well enough or is it still to be added? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.