• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Suggestion: Giving the option to sort maps after submitted dates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
A few months back I started browsing the maps page daily to see if there were any new and interesting maps that had been released. While I'm happy to see the WC3 map makers are still buzzing with activity, I also found it disheartening to see new and original maps quickly being drowned out by updated older maps, sometimes several years older maps, which quickly shunted the newer maps off of the front page without a single comment and only a handful of downloads to its name.

While, of course, it's up to the map maker to make their map and associated post as appealing as possible to people, I still think it's important that every map gets a fair chance in the spotlight. As a casual map maker myself, I personally always get giddy when I come online to see someone has left a comment on one of my maps, and I'm saddened when I see other map makers, sometimes first-time posters, never get that opportunity.

Anyway, enough with the emotional arguments, what I want to suggest is just giving the option for users to sort the maps page after submitted-date in addition to update-date. If there already is such an option, then I haven't been able to find it, and I imagine a lot of other people haven't either.

Personally I think that by sorting maps by submission date, the overall quality of first-time submitted maps would go up. Map makers would be encouraged to spit polish their maps before releasing as they'd only get one shot on the front page, and they'd be discouraged to submit a mostly-finished map with the attitude of "I'll finish the rest later". It'd also put a hamper on map makers that make incremental updates - with all the best intentions to make their maps better, don't get me wrong - which repeatedly made them come back to the front page spotlight.

Doesn't make much of a difference IMO. I bet most people doesn't press PENDING either and just look what served on first sight.

Okay, on serious note, the current system encourages author to patch every 2 week to enter spotlight, this is meant to give motivation for authors to freq update their maps. Even if a map is in first page, chances are the map most likely not catching people's interest so they skim ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.