• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Comment sorting by date

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpasMaster

Hosted Project: SC
Level 23
Hello, I have a suggestion for a possible improvement of the site:

This can probably be explained in much less words, but my English isn't good enough for that. :D

Currently the comments either in a thread or resource sections are sorted by their submission date. The comment sections start with the oldest comment.

I personally think that it would be better to have the latest comments on top. When I check a resource, especially a map, for most of the time I wanna see the most recent comments. I am rarely interested in comments made years ago.

So, the suggestion is: make the latest comments appear on top of the comment section instead of the bottom. If I care to see what the comments were "X amount of time ago", I'll go and look through the previous pages. But the latest comments that describe stuff that is up to date should be more easily accessible.

Note: This is my opinion and perhaps it's intended to have oldest comments on top. I just think, it would be better the way I explained above.

Cheers! ^^

Then you will understand nothing about the discussions ^^'

When you listen a conversation, it begins at the begin and it ends at the end, not the opposite.

"Bye"
"Okay, Bye"
"No sorry, i'm doing my homework, maybe later when i'll have finished. See you soon."
"Wanna play some games with me ?"
"I'm fine"
"I'm well and you ?"
"Hi, How are you ?"
"Yo"

It's already not easy to read with small messages like this, so imagine when they are 10 lines of text in a single post each containing many informations.

spasorc said:
I am rarely interested in comments made years ago.
Then don't read them?
You already have the option to jump to the latest post upon viewing a thread.
Just click the little arrows (marked).
CMGoiKdUSL.png

It might not be useful for common threads, although for a resource such as a map where it can be updated the comments at the front of the maps thread can display bad ideas about the map in the criticism of the first or so posts. Although these bad things that where said could be already fixed in the latest version of the map and users may be aware of this. This could repulse the visitor from bothering to be interested in that map anymore.

Just saying that visitors want to know the latest feed back on resources such as maps. Whiles old feedback could be a bad influence. Having a switch around of the latest quote could become useful for map. By default at-least for visitors(only on maps).

SpasMaster

Hosted Project: SC
Level 23
Then you will understand nothing about the discussions ^^'

When you listen a conversation, it begins at the begin and it ends at the end, not the opposite.

"Bye"
"Okay, Bye"
"No sorry, i'm doing my homework, maybe later when i'll have finished. See you soon."
"Wanna play some games with me ?"
"I'm fine"
"I'm well and you ?"
"Hi, How are you ?"
"Yo"

It's already not easy to read with small messages like this, so imagine when they are 10 lines of text in a single post each containing many informations.

Perhaps you are right about threads. My point still persists about map comments.

Then don't read them?
You already have the option to jump to the latest post upon viewing a thread.
Just click the little arrows (marked).
CMGoiKdUSL.png

Didn't know that! Thanks, it does help quite a bit!

It might not be useful for common threads, although for a resource such as a map where it can be updated the comments at the front of the maps thread can display bad ideas about the map in the criticism of the first or so posts. Although these bad things that where said could be already fixed in the latest version of the map and users may be aware of this. This could repulse the visitor from bothering to be interested in that map anymore.

Just saying that visitors want to know the latest feed back on resources such as maps. Whiles old feedback could be a bad influence. Having a switch around of the latest quote could become useful for map. By default at-least for visitors(only on maps).

This!

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
I see multiple solutions:
- Always show the last page of comments by default instead of the first page, but in the normal order.
- Sort comments in reverse as you suggest, which would probably confuse people.
- (Even more confusing) separate comments into groups of comments posted within a week of each other (sort of like separate discussions). Keep the order of comments in each group but show the newest group first.

wont Kitabake's solution work just normally? :D
Yes, it works on all normal forum threads but the resource section is not affected.
I see multiple solutions:
- Always show the last page of comments by default instead of the first page, but in the normal order.
- Sort comments in reverse as you suggest, which would probably confuse people.
- (Even more confusing) separate comments into groups of comments posted within a week of each other (sort of like separate discussions). Keep the order of comments in each group but show the newest group first.
The first solution seems good if it would also show the resource description along with the latest comments. Otherwise it will not really be of any benefit.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
The first solution seems good if it would also show the resource description along with the latest comments. Otherwise it will not really be of any benefit.

Oh, right. The actual resource details are only shown on the first page. That is actually because the first post is replaced with the resource. Kind of a hack but it works, the only downside is this.

My quote still remains about troubles with convenience for visitors. As a lot wouldn't know about these functions. Would be nice to at least set comments as reversed in the map section set default for just visitors. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.