• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Map Rate Sorting Thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
in the maps section, if you choose rate as your sort type and decending, it shows u the top rated maps almost randomly. there should be a way where the most consistently top rates maps are top, so a map rated 5 with only one vote is not ahead of a map rated 4.5 with 20 votes. i dont know how u can do this buts its an idea.

Level 21
well just because a map had been downloaded 1000 times doesnt mean its good, it just means its popular. and just because one person voted a map 5/5 doesnt mean its better than another map where 100 people voted it to 4.5/5. a map with consitenly high votes is obviously better than a map with one of two high votes, even if the former is slightly less. i mean what if a single fan or the autor of the map voted it 5/5? or what if some idiot purposely vote a map with 10 5/5 vote a 0/5 vote bringing it to 4.54/5? is it fair it is brought down below a one vote map because of an idiot? i hope not. the bottom line remains the same:

a map with consitenly high votes is obviously better than a map with one of two high votes

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
well at the beginning I had that system you talk about..
So when it is making the rating of the map it takes the amount of raters lets say thats 3
and then we take the votes

so what you normally do is that you say (3+4+5) / 3
but what I did was I said (3+4+5) / (3 + 1)
So the more rates you have, the less the 1 single bonus rater counts.

so if someone have voted 5 once
it is
5 / (1+1)
which means that it will be 2,5 and not 5

I actually think it wasnt 1 but it was like 0.2 or something

Level 21
Healingpoison said:
But how do would you know that was an idiot voting? We be like saying to the person(s) who voted 0/5, we you think your vote is worthless. What if it was the idiots who vote 5/5?

no no ur not getting it, it doesnt matter because a map with consitenly high votes is obviously better than a map with one of two high votes. thats why other sites use that type of sytem, because it works!! i mean, u go to the download section and you want the best map, but when u click sort by rank u get loads of maps with only one vote, and the maps with 40 vote are near the bottom. it doesnt work, it just doesnt! you may as well get rid of sort by rank completely.

anyways ralle would you think about bringing that system back?

Level 10
HEY What about you have 10 points from beginning. you get 3 point for rating a map and it cost 1 point to download a map

Ummm. . .couple problems. . .

1) You'll probably get fewer downloads. . .(Who wants to HAVE to rate maps)
2)You'll get a bunch a fake ratings of people randomly rating stuff so they can dl more maps. =P

Status
Not open for further replies.