• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[vJass] SleepAction - A Cinematic Lifesaver

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
When I was making cinematic scripts a few months ago, I was disappointed by the inaccuracies of TriggerSleepAction(), so I moved to fix that problem with Waldbaer's Exact-Timing Cinematic tutorial. Unfortunately, that looked like a mess and was getting tiresome to create the trigger queues for every wait period that I wanted to be exact.

I moved to JASS.

What happened then was the precedence-behavior of programming messed everything up in a whole new way. The TimerStart() call only compiles functions above it, which made my cinematic script look out-of-order and I was finding it hard to expand on it and to locate a specific section (because everything was in reverse-chronological order).

I tried learning Anitarf's Cinematic System but I found myself drifting further and further away from the approach I wanted to take with creating the cinematic. I wanted to have a script that looked like it was mine and would be easy for someone to pick up on.

The SleepAction library is the realization of those dreams I had. Now, thanks to a textmacro, it is an easy thing to implement a wait period. The only parts that require thinking are in the parameters passed to the macro.

Example 1:

JASS:
scope foo initializer bar // requires SleepAction

private function bar takes nothing returns nothing
        //! runtextmacro SleepAction("5.5", "1")
        call BJDebugMsg("Hello,") // Executed exactly 5 and a half seconds into the game.
        //! runtextmacro SleepAction("0.1", "A")
        call BJDebugMsg("World!") // Executed exactly 1/10th of a second after the last message.
    endfunction

endscope

The first of the parameters is the period you want to wait, which must be a real value or variable. Everything below the line of the textmacro will not execute until the *exact moment* the wait period has ended. Not slightly before or slightly after which you get from TriggerSleepAction() and without disorganizing and/or complicating your script to accomplish something which should not have ever been a complicated process.

The textmacro must be within a scope or library (pretty much every vJass user does this anyway) and within a vJass function (not a method or a Zinc function [Zinc users have anonymous functions to make up for all the features Zinc didn't get]). Note that local variables are not remembered after the textmacro line, though it is possible to declare new local variables after the line. How it works:

Invisible to you while scripting, the textmacro breaks the function in two. A timer gets started with the duration you specified and then, using a vJass function interface combined with TimerData from Vexorian's TimerUtils, the "second part" of the function is executed when the timer expires. For this reason, the second parameter must be a scope-unique sequence of letters and/or numbers and/or underscores as that parameter more or less gives the hidden function a name.

I find it user-friendly to just name each part a sequencial number (1,2,3...) as you scroll down. The hidden function is a private function which is prefixed with SleepAction_ and, being private, prefixed with the scope's name as well, with the second parameter's name tacked on at the end of it all.

Hopefully, this script allows you to create cinematics in an environment which is suitable for you!

Example 2:

JASS:
    scope Scene1 initializer Init // requires SleepAction

private function Message takes real duration, string msg returns nothing
            call DisplayTimedTextToPlayer(GetLocalPlayer(), 0.0, 0.0, duration, "|cff888888" + msg + "|r")
        endfunction

private function Init takes nothing returns nothing

//! runtextmacro SleepAction("0.0", "1")
            // Actions below this line happen exactly 0 seconds into the game.
            call Message(5.0, "This is an easy method to create cinematics.")

//! runtextmacro SleepAction("5.0", "2")
            // Actions below this line happen exactly 5 seconds after the last message.
            call Message(7.0, "Using this tool, you can create perfect wait-periods without " + /*
                            */"distorting the look and feel of your cinematic scripts.")

//! runtextmacro SleepAction("7.0", "3")
            // Actions below this line happen exactly 7 seconds after the last message.
            call Message(10.0, "All you have to do is fill in the blanks:\n" + /*
                             */"//! runtextmacro SleepAction(\"<Real Duration>\", \"<Scope-Unique Name>\")")

call TriggerSleepAction(10.0)
            // Yes, you can safely mix regular TriggerSleepActions in, if you want.
        endfunction

endscope

Cons

I can't just butter this whole thing up. There are some real things to consider and to review from what I mentioned already.

A) The textmacro may only be enclosed in a function which takes nothing returns nothing.
B) The function may not be a method and may not be in the Zinc language.
C) The function must be contained in a scope or a library.
D) Local variables are forgotten after the textmacro line.
E) The textmacro line may not be embedded within a block such as if/then/else/endif or loop/endloop.
F) You must input a scope-unique name as a second textmacro parameter.

SleepAction script:

JASS:
library SleepAction requires TimerUtils

function interface SleepActionFunc takes nothing returns nothing

globals
        private timer t = null
    endglobals

private function Sleep takes nothing returns nothing
        set t = GetExpiredTimer()
        call SleepActionFunc(GetTimerData(t)).execute()
        call ReleaseTimer(t)
    endfunction

function DoSleepAction takes SleepActionFunc func, real duration returns nothing
        set t = NewTimer()
        call SetTimerData(t, integer(func))
        call TimerStart(t, duration, false, function Sleep)
    endfunction

//! textmacro SleepAction takes RealSleepDuration, FuncName
            globals
                private keyword SleepAction_$FuncName$X
            endglobals
            call DoSleepAction(SleepAction_$FuncName$X, $RealSleepDuration$)
        endfunction

private function SleepAction_$FuncName$X takes nothing returns nothing
    //! endtextmacro

endlibrary

Last edited:
Level 13
in the middle of reviewing your code. from your explanation of the system, it looks good so far. still reviewing but it looks very promising.

by the way i noticed an error in example 2. check the first line.

also, do you know if this system is good for things besides cinematics?

i remembered when first learning this coding stuff being frustrated with timers incredibly and even now i still don't understand them entirely, even though i use them frequently. this system kind of looks like i wonder why it wasn't created sooner, if indeed it works with things besides cinematics, that is.

by the way, i think it's cool that you're using textmacro to make function name.

edit:
how are you making cinematics? can you give a bigger example? so far every time i try to use this i get errors. maybe there are some bugs, or i just don't know what i'm doing.

the problem i keep running into is variables keep becoming undeclared.

Last edited:

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
I'm planning to update the script to this:

JASS:
library SleepAction requires TimerUtils, Table

globals
        private timer t = null
        private key theKey
        private Table s = theKey
    endglobals

local integer id
        set id = GetHandleId(t)
        call ExecuteFunc(s.string[id])
        call s.string.remove(id)
        call ReleaseTimer(t)
    endfunction

function DoSleepAction takes string func, real duration returns nothing
        set t = NewTimer()
        set s.string[GetHandleId(t)] = func
    endfunction

call DoSleepAction(SCOPE_PRIVATE + "SleepAction_$FuncName$X", $RealSleepDuration$)
        endfunction

private function SleepAction_$FuncName$X takes nothing returns nothing
    //! endtextmacro

endlibrary

For straightforward cinematics in GUIJASS (I intend to use this trick to easily patch up my original WarChasers map):

• Events
  • Conditions
  • Actions
    • Custom script: endfunction
    • Custom script: function DoAction takes nothing returns nothing
    • Custom script: call ExecuteFunc(udg_globalString)
    • Custom script: function ActionTime takes nothing returns nothing
    • Custom script: call TimerStart(udg_globalTimer, udg_globalReal, false, function DoAction)
    • -------- The above functions could also go into a map header
    • Custom script: function Phase1 takes nothing returns nothing
    • Set globalString = Phase2
    • Set globalReal = 3.00
    • Custom script: call ActionTime()
    • Custom script: function Phase2 takes nothing returns nothing
    • Set globalString = Phase3
    • Set globalReal = 6.00
    • Custom script: call ActionTime()
    • Custom script: function Phase3 takes nothing returns nothing

Last edited:

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
For cinematic needs, why not just create a single periodic timer and increment a count variable by one for each iteration, then use the count as the actual time-frame to refer to with a simple switch-case structure?

--> everything is ordered top-down
--> simple easily understandable code
--> almost no custom script needed, even for GUIers
--> 100% accurate

Obviously, you can't use locals here either, but in cinematics, why even use locals anyway?

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
I think I know what you mean. Like expiring once every.25 seconds calling a single function which increments a timestamp variable, and in that same function have an if/else structure to identify which phase to execute. I like that approach - thanks for sharing!
It's basicly my go-to solution for creating script events of any kind where efficiency doesn't really matter.
The only downside is that it's hard to adjust timings afterwards, as you need to adjust all following timings aswell.

You can solve that easily by not having a periodic timer. Instead, make the timer function recursive:

JASS:
globals
    private integer count = 0
    private timer t = CreateTimer()
endglobals

private function callback takes nothing returns nothing
    local real wait = 0
    set count = count + 1

if count == 1 then
        //here be code
        set wait = 5
    elseif count == 2 then
        //here be code
        set wait = 10
    elseif count == 3 then
        //here be code
        set wait = 3
    endif

call TimerStart(t, wait, false, function callback)
endfunction

function StartCinematic takes nothing returns nothing
    call callback()
endfunction

... when you think about it: you could actually create textmacros for that to mimic the TriggerSleepAction syntax...

And here is why this approach is so cool:

JASS:
globals
    private constant integer LAST_PHASE = 4

private integer count = 0
    private timer t = CreateTimer()

private boolean skipped = false
endglobals

private function callback takes nothing returns nothing
    local real wait = 0
    set count = count + 1

if skipped then
        set count = LAST_PHASE
    endif
    if count == 1 then
        //here be code
        set wait = 5
    elseif count == 2 then
        //here be code
        set wait = 10
    elseif count == 3 then
        //here be code
        set wait = 3

//...

elseif count == LAST_PHASE then
        //the final state of your cinematic... remove cinematic mode, remove units etc.
    endif

if not skipped then
        call TimerStart(t, wait, false, function callback)
    endif
endfunction

function StartCinematic takes nothing returns nothing
    call callback()
endfunction

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Dropping by as I am moving this into the new sub-sections.

This tutorial inspired my "cinematic system at home" which I used in my Timewalking cinematic, it has some flaws but that's not the system's fault. Selecting cameras and pre-placed units are a pain because we do not have auto-complete for those variables.

So yeah, very useful if you want to make a cinematic but does not want to use GUI (which you really should for the smoothest experience, the drawbacks of waits do not affect cinematics that much)

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
Dropping by as I am moving this into the new sub-sections.

This tutorial inspired my "cinematic system at home" which I used in my Timewalking cinematic, it has some flaws but that's not the system's fault. Selecting cameras and pre-placed units are a pain because we do not have auto-complete for those variables.

So yeah, very useful if you want to make a cinematic but does not want to use GUI (which you really should for the smoothest experience, the drawbacks of waits do not affect cinematics that much)
Honestly, for strictly-GUI systems, Perfect Polled Wait in Lua is a far-better alternative.

Additionally, this resource itself does not need to be limited to a scope or library. I can easily port it to work with GUI.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I have not used Lua - at all so I cannot really judge in either direction on that one.

I'd argue however that most cinematics do not need millisecond precision timing so normal waits are more than fine for GUI purists.
I recall that @APproject makes his cinematics in GUI and those are arguably the best we have in terms of raw quality.

Maybe I am delusional but I genuinely think the only reason to use a system like this is because you simply hate GUI with a passion and refuse to use it. If I was to make a cinematic right now I would personally use a mix of wurst and GUI (which kinda-sorta mix, wurst can talk to GUI but not the other way around) because the convenience factor is really high.

It does not matter what I think though, everyone can judge for themselves. :goblin_good_job:

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
I have not used Lua - at all so I cannot really judge in either direction on that one.

I'd argue however that most cinematics do not need millisecond precision timing so normal waits are more than fine for GUI purists.
I recall that @APproject makes his cinematics in GUI and those are arguably the best we have in terms of raw quality.

Maybe I am delusional but I genuinely think the only reason to use a system like this is because you simply hate GUI with a passion and refuse to use it. If I was to make a cinematic right now I would personally use a mix of wurst and GUI (which kinda-sorta mix, wurst can talk to GUI but not the other way around) because the convenience factor is really high.

It does not matter what I think though, everyone can judge for themselves. :goblin_good_job:
The main reason for me for exact waiting is to time cuts correctly. Also the minimum wait period of 0.25 seconds (even if one specifies 0.00) makes it impossible to rely on rapid events.

Take my WarChasers II map in the Maps section as an example. Exact timing would have really helped.

Here's an untested script showcasing how this would work with GUI:

JASS:
library SleepAction initializer Init requires TimerUtils, Table

globals
        private timer t = null
        private Table tb
        private integer i
    endglobals

set i = GetHandleId(t)
        call ExecuteFunc(tb.string[i])
        call tb.string.remove(i)
        call ReleaseTimer(t)
    endfunction

function DoSleepAction takes string funcName, real duration returns nothing
        set t = NewTimer()
        set tb.string[GetHandleId(t)] = funcName
    endfunction

call DoSleepAction("SleepAction_$FuncName$X", $RealSleepDuration$)
        endfunction
        function SleepAction_$FuncName$X takes nothing returns nothing
    //! endtextmacro

private function Init takes nothing returns nothing
        set tb = Table.create()
    endfunction

endlibrary

Last edited: