• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Visual Bug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hi, how are you, in my project I'm using
this model of life bars, the problem is that I can not find a
solution to correct a visual bug caused by moving the camera
that causes the edges or lines of the 2d models to disappear
and Appear, and give the impression that they are of different
sizes and others.

Example:

ES9Oubo.png

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Looks like a sampling problem. Depending on sub pixel position the boarders may appear 1 pixel bigger or smaller as the unit or screen moves. This is basically a type of aliasing artefact. How are these edges formed and does this differ from the standard life bars? I am guessing the most reliable solution would be to make the boarders bigger so a 1 pixel variance not matter as much.

What resolution are you running Warcraft III at? This might only be a problem with low resolutions as higher resolutions suffer less from aliasing due to more samples being taken.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I run wc3 in max resolution.
Which is? For me it is 1440*1080. For someone with a 4k display it would be 2880*2160.

Have you tried forcing on anti aliasing in your graphic driver? If it is a model and not a projected texture then it should be subject to multiple sampling from anti aliasing which might reduce the aliasing artefacts.

Level 7
Which is? For me it is 1440*1080. For someone with a 4k display it would be 2880*2160.

Have you tried forcing on anti aliasing in your graphic driver? If it is a model and not a projected texture then it should be subject to multiple sampling from anti aliasing which might reduce the aliasing artefacts.

I use 1920x1080x32 and yes, it is a model. I think its wc3 engine with 2d textures.
I need the texture of the life bar to not suffer pixelation and be constant even if user moves the camera, like a normal 3d model.

I tried with different configurations of the video card, but the changes are smaller.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I use 1920x1080x32 and yes, it is a model. I think its wc3 engine with 2d textures.
WC3 is currently not designed to support wide screen. You can expect visual bugs when using a non 4:3 aspect ratio resolution, for example incorrect game field projection resulting in visual distortion.

I need the texture of the life bar to not suffer pixelation and be constant even if user moves the camera, like a normal 3d model.
Normal 3D models also suffer this problem. Just they avoid fine geometry and use mipmaped textures to avoid excessive aliasing.

I tried with different configurations of the video card, but the changes are smaller.
I would imagine 16 times Antialiasing would help, but that might have problems trying to read texture coordinates outside the boarder wrap so might be non-constructive.

Come to think of it I have noticed the standard life bars also doing this. I think it is just a WC3 thing and nothing much you can really do about it next to designing a completely different life bar where it is not a problem.

Level 7
WC3 is currently not designed to support wide screen. You can expect visual bugs when using a non 4:3 aspect ratio resolution, for example incorrect game field projection resulting in visual distortion.

Normal 3D models also suffer this problem. Just they avoid fine geometry and use mipmaped textures to avoid excessive aliasing.

I would imagine 16 times Antialiasing would help, but that might have problems trying to read texture coordinates outside the boarder wrap so might be non-constructive.

Come to think of it I have noticed the standard life bars also doing this. I think it is just a WC3 thing and nothing much you can really do about it next to designing a completely different life bar where it is not a problem.

I tried different resolutions but its the same. How can i create a different hp bar without this visual bug? Even standar hp bars are wrong pixeling.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Even standar hp bars are wrong pixeling.
The pixels are not so much "wrong", but rather suffering from aliasing due to trying to display information that is a higher frequency than the resolution is capable of showing.

You could try editing the model and removing the black boarder. You could also try changing the black boarder to be bigger. If there is an option to change filtering, try enabling bilinear filtering on the black boarder.

Level 7
The pixels are not so much "wrong", but rather suffering from aliasing due to trying to display information that is a higher frequency than the resolution is capable of showing.

You could try editing the model and removing the black boarder. You could also try changing the black boarder to be bigger. If there is an option to change filtering, try enabling bilinear filtering on the black boarder.

I removed the black boarder but the issue still continues on hp fill. I cant solve this ugly problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.