• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Villagerino's Work in Progress

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like all your case fans are exhaust fans (maybe with the exception of the top fans, but I can't see them)? Ideally speaking, the rear fan, side fans, and bottom fan should all be intake, and the top should be exhaust. Positive pressure in a computer case is always better than negative pressure. The rear fan would blow fresh and cool air on your CPU cooler, which is set up in a push-pull fan config. The bottom fan blowing fresh air onto the GPU fans, and the side fans blows even more fresh air into the case, creating the positive pressure. The top fans will then exhaust the naturally rising hot air, gaining optimal cooling capabilities.

I may be wrong about your fans, but if those fans are like normal other fans then they are most definitely all set to exhaust.
At first I thought you were talking about my followers as WC3 fans and I thought why should they be exhausted lol.

Well, I'm not sure what to answer, I only know that everything works fine and I have more then enough fans xD The build was tested by some trusted peeps who said that the air flow was alright and the CPU fans worked correctly 🫠

Last edited:
At first I thought you were talking about my followers as WC3 fans and I thought why should they be exhausted lol.

Well, I'm not sure what to answer, I only know that everything works fine and I have more then enough fans xD The build was tested by some trusted peeps who said that the air flow was alright and the CPU fans worked correctly 🫠
Haha alright, well, congrats on the new computer.

A few buildings I've been working on lately. These are Night Elven income storages for Tree Tag.
Storage.gif
Storages4.1.gif

They must have 7 tiers and a 'Stand Upgrade' animation 🫠 so I was looking for a shape that can let this happen and the pagoda shape seemed to work.
ST1.gif
123.gif

To add to this, tiers should be easily readable and the first 4 of them should preferably have one texture (High Elf), as well as the final 3 tiers (Night Elf).
Palace1.gif
MoonStorage.gif

These are rough sketches and experiments but might be inspiring for some 😉
I only hope to find the perfect visual balance and nail it soon.

Cheers!

Speed Crystal

SCscreen_vinz_edition.png

Among many other buildings Ents in Tree Tag will need this one - the Speed Crystal.
SC2.gif

Initially there was only a Doodads\Icecrown\Rocks\Icecrown and bla-bla-bla crystal with no animation, base and team color, just a mere doodad.

Here I quickly combined a platform that Ancients use for their 'Morph' animation with the crystal. I also repositioned the roots, added a few curly smaller roots and left them with one-sided material so that when you look through the crystal you don't see the roots' inner parts 🤌

Time for TC but we'll make some "fake" TC.
SC3_tc.gif

When the model lacks detailed geosets just copy some parts of them you may find suitable, separate them and make the TC layer a bit above.

So here I copies the root parts, made them a TC layer, picked the bottom vertices (the top were left attached to the model, see the gif) and moved them up. Then I adjusted the size and shape so these TC parts look like they are in-built.

And here is the result:
SC3_tc_result.gif

Make sure to check this in-game or in the Sanity because sometimes when you put parts too close to each other they can glitch!

I decided to use the Ancient of Lore texture for the TC from its staff. It looks like a cloth wrapped around the root. Seems quite fitting 👌

Here I put this building (just by simply copy-pasting it) into another building that has a 'Stand Work' sequence, stuff like Night Elven birth attachment point, rally point, collision and so on. Before deleting the previous building's geosets I set the visibility (because you can copy geoset's visibility, ez) and also left the 'Stand Work' particle emitter (that already has proper animation timings) for the latter 👍
SC4.gif

The building must have a square base and should be not much wider than a standard Moon Well. Here I can also adjust the height and see how deep the base of the building should stay under the ground (when you put buildings on cliffs their underground base details show up).

And of course I couldn't resist adding some bushes:
SC5.gif

Definitely looks fresher now! ☺️

Let's go for our 'Stand Work' sequence.
SCStandWork1.gif

There could be A LOT OF variations with various particle effects, glowing, texture animation and so on. But it's very important to keep the balance. I think I like this simple "wisp" glow effect thing and will remove the particles that go up.

And some in-game tests:
SCInGame1.gif
SCscreen1.png

From this perspective, I realized that some details needed to be done differently or removed altogether. So I got rid of the fourth root with bushes which was behind the crystal.

Then I the revealed the crystal more to the eye by making it higher and by stertching the whole building: in the end, this building is more about the crystal than its roots and foliage.

And here we finally go:
SC15Sanity.gif

A nice Night Elven pylon, isn't it?

Wait a second. I got some great advice from @Vinz and added a drop of his talent here:
vinz_edition2.gif
vinz_3.gif

That's what I call team work 🤝 Thank you, @Vinzerino!

Last edited:
Ent Ranger

EntRanger.gif

You've already seen Ent Mystic, Ent Scout and even Ent Engineer, what could be crazier, you ask? How about Ent... Ranger?

Mission. We need to create a model that is easily recognizable as an Ent Ranger, has a design that fits perfectly with the visuals of Warcraft, and also has a clean/edgy look to serve as a great base for future skins.

There are 9 general Ent classes in Tree Tag.

IngameClassIconLayout_3.13_M01.png

Pic 1. Class selector in the Fountain of Destiny.

See this bottom right icon? It's his!

The task of this Ent is to constantly distract the mighty Infernals from searching for other Ents, to constantly remain in the center of the map to save other Ents, because he is the only non-melee Ent! This sapling also has a range of useful spells that can win some time for him to escape the danger.

Here we took our Ent Template and made his branches grow wider:
1.gif
See the difference?

Next we made some clothes for our sapling:
2.gif
This hat, a bycocket, with a feather on it will resemble one of the most popular archer images of all time - Robin Hood! 🏹

RobinWood.png

Here we re-texture the clothes, added a feather and a bow:
3.gif
Yes, green is the color we need to further develop Robin's Hood charisma.
We also decided to use the popular shape of a bow among the Night Elves but we replaces those round spheres with the Priest's texture.

Next we put on a quiver and re-texture (AncientOfTheWind.blp) the bow:
4.gif
Now he looks almost like a real old-school archer, doesn't he?

On the left gif you can see regular attacks and on the right we are preapring a shooting one:
5.gif
6.gif
You might have also noticed that we added a small sharp Robin-styled beard to the chin.

To make this attack beautiful, we constantly spied on how the Elven Archer was shooting:
RangerEntAttackAnim.gif
We also need to show this impulse of retraction in the hips and branches of our Ent.

Looks like he's ready, you say? No, guys, we need 3 more 'Spell' animations. Yes, THREE, to shoot more arrows.
Снимок экрана 2024-02-17 155526.png
About the same.

Let's copy our 'Attack' sequence and make the pose have more pathos:
7.gif
See how our Robin Wood is trying to pull the string tighter? We need to make it look like he's charging up a magical bolt.
But what are those magical bolts? They are Poison Arrow, Frost Arrow and Stun Arrow.

To keep things warcrafty let's use Blizzard's Frost and Poison arrow effects. This way we can make a smooth transition after the shot (since a missile will appear at some point):
8.gif
Ah, hard we tried and here we go! Now the Ent is 100% ready to shoot his first Frost Arrow.
The visual effect decreases and becomes less and less transparent the closer the shot is, like the Ent is gathering some magical force on the tip of his arrow.

Let's add some particle effects (taken from the missiles) and make an 'Attack Spell' for our Poison Arrow:
RangerEntPresent.gif
RangerEntSpellFirstAnim.gif
Nice! The posture is cool and the animation also looks fine.

It's time to check out how the shots look in-game and work with real in-game missiles:
RangerEntCastFrostArrow.gif
RangerEntCastPoisonArrow.gif
Seems like it's working well. Good!

We had to set all the 'Spell First, Second, Third' parameters exactly as it was in the the 'Attack' sequence. Thus, the sapling can have the same 'Animation - Cast Point' parameter and his spells will appear as special shots.

The final 'Spell' sequence is left and it's the Stun Shot! So let's make a Stun Arrow:
StunArrow.gif
We took Blizzard's Storm Bolt, changed this and that and got this arrow.

But how do we show that this is a stun shot? And here's the answer:
9.gif
1. Change colors. 2. Add a stun effect. 3. Make it billboarded (seen from different camera angles).

A short in-game check, please:
RangerSpells.gif
All three 'Spell' sequences work fine. Great!

We also need some other animations like 'Spell Throw' for the Sentinel spell, 'Stand Ready', ect.:
10.gif
Remember that the 'Death' sequence should inherit its opening keyframes from 'Stand Ready'!

To further support the image of our forest bandit we added a smirk:
EntRangerPortraitTalk.gif
We also made a thin face and slightly narrowed cunning eyes.

The Ent Ranger has his class building and also a few cool skins. So stay tuned if you don't want to miss them!
EntRangerSpecialShots.gif

Thank you all for your attention and I sincerely hope you enjoyed our little journey!

I look forward to seeing you again!

Best regards,
your Robin Wood

Last edited:
Skins for Ent Ranger

A few skins for Tree tag for this guy.
This is an Uncommon skin called Golden Eagle Bow:
EntRangerGoldenEagleBow_stand.gif
EntRangerGoldenEagleBow_StandShoot.gif

This bow's texture is taken from Warcraft 1 and I stole it from this user 👉 @Rhapsodie because he was using it too often!

And this is an Epic skin called Golden Eagle, featuring a cool set of armor, some particles and an omnilight:
EntRangerGoldenEagle_shoot.gif
Skin_EntRanger_GoldenEagle.gif

"This Ent is so proficient with weapons that he was entrusted with an epic and elegant bow of the Golden Eagle, and now he has clearly become much more confident in himself."

And this is an Epic Black Lion skin, featuring the same cool stuff as above:
EntRangerBlackLion_shoot.gif
Skin_EntRanger_BlackLion.gif

"This masterful Ent Ranger was entrusted with a powerful and elegant bow to conjure infallible enchanted arrows."

Some Paladin and Lord Garrison armor textures here. For the string shine I used Flare.blp which can be found in the standard MPQ in the
Снимок экрана 2024-02-28 230516.png
folder. How did I made these particles along the string? I looked up for it in @Vinz's amazing frost bow attachment! 🏹

By the way, I made these skins for winners and participants of the Tree Tag fall tournament. If you'd like to watch some competitive custom map games here's a list of games with commentary and a nice streamer's UI: 2023 Fall tournament playlist!

Last edited:
Skins for Ent Ranger

A few skins for Tree tag for this guy.
This is an Uncommon skin called Golden Eagle Bow:
View attachment 463861View attachment 463862
This bow's texture is taken from Warcraft 2 and I stole it from this user 👉 @Rhapsodie because he was using it too often!

And this is an Epic skin called Golden Eagle, featuring a cool set of armor, some particles and an omnilight:
View attachment 463863View attachment 463865
"This Ent is so proficient with weapons that he was entrusted with an epic and elegant bow of the Golden Eagle, and now he has clearly become much more confident in himself."

And this is an Epic Black Lion skin, featuring the same cool stuff as above:
View attachment 463864View attachment 463866
"This masterful Ent Ranger was entrusted with a powerful and elegant bow to conjure infallible enchanted arrows."

Some Paladin and Lord Garrison armor textures here. For the string shine I used Flare.blp which can be found in the standard MPQ in the View attachment 463867 folder. How did I made these particles along the string? I looked up for it in @Vinz's amazing frost bow attachment! 🏹

By the way, I made these skins for winners and participants of the Tree Tag fall tournament. If you'd like to watch some competitive custom map games he's a list of games with commentary and a nice streamer's UI: 2023 Fall tournament playlist!

I love your golden eagle bow the most.

Last edited:
Rune Ent

RuneEntSanity1.gif

Mission. We need to create a model that has a very unique appearance because this is a secret class Ent!

There are 9 general Ent classes in Tree Tag. But Shrune Ent is very special and has a number of abilities that can make a huge difference in the game in the right hands: for example, Rune Obelisk, which summons and saves an Ent that is being pursued by the evil Infernal.

Sometimes it's best to start by creating a concept model so you can visualize your idea:
Shrooment.gif
Снимок экрана 2024-04-01 215244.png

Why is he a shroom? This is a bright model that does not have foliage or branches, which stands out from the ranks of ordinary Ents, but is ideologically connected with nature (and mushrooms that play an important part in Tree Tag gameplay).

Fine! It's time to find some fitting runes for our dude:
RuneEnt.gif

These are cool but not TC, let's see what else we can find.

These are colored.
RunesColor1.png
Rune4blp.png

And uncolored TC runes are only a few so that our dude won't have a good variety of them but he must because he's a RUNE Ent!

EntSmoke.png
What to do, what to do...

We also spent plenty time with @Deolrin in order to find something fitting. (He is a very wise troll that knows a lot of textures, so you can you can poke and disturb him, hehe.) By the way, he has models of fly-agarics, whose caps he made from the texture of a ladybug:
Снимок экрана 2024-04-01 222253.png

Brilliant and simple! Tree Tag still uses those.

Oh, how about this one? Let's take some runes directly from his obelisk ability:
Снимок экрана 2024-04-01 215223.png

Yeeesh, this is Icecrown_Obelisk.blp! See this line of runes on the right? We're going to use it right now!

Okay. Now he has a huge noticable hat that can carry rune texture, very handy!
RuneEnt2.gif

So here we continued to develop our concept art, and we added TC runes: we needed that team color that doesn't get covered by a hat.

This looks... kind of good, but the connections between the textures are quite rough. We can clearly see this Icecrown Obelisk stone cracks.

Let's create a few layers for the hat and try to use some wrapping techniques to make things look cool:
RuneHatLayers.png

Here we added and then cut things into several separate geosets so it's easier now to manipulate the textures.

Now let's connect our geosets to see what we get:
RuneEnt4.gif
Снимок экрана 2024-04-01 220615.png

Hmm, this looks fine. Kung Lao must be proud of him now!

We can further simplify the hat so that the edges of geosets blend and become one whole thing:
RuneEnt6.gif

We carefully matched the dark edges of the textures and dark spots to each other to make a smooth transition between textures. Nice!

Oh, do you remember the initial shroom model by Blizzard? It has a cool shine made via texture animations. Let's make our Ent shine as well:
Platform.gif

We just used Magos to make the same thing work for us, easy.

You can also see the portrait and how glowing the eys are now:
RuneEntSanityPortrait.gif

That's because we didn't touch the eyes and let them stay in their own geoset. We also wrapped the face the way as if our Ent has a semblance of a nose and eyebrows, and then our brain itself will draw the rest 👍

Personally, I like the look of this Ent, it is one of my favorites, for me it is very laconic and bright. I love its simplicity and uniqueness.

Time to let this Ent have a walk with his fellow brothers and meet new friends:
RuneEntInGame1.gif

From now on he will never feel alone!

(I can also make some alternate animation when he transforms into a mushroom and can pop up back to become a Shrooment again. But for the map it's redundant. Maybe when I upload the model 🤔)

Last edited: