• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Village Stronghold - Singleplayer Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
Village Stronghold
BETA released!
vikingart.JPG

In Village Stronghold your goal is to increase the prosperity of your Viking village to 10.000 gold coins, while protecting it from The Roman Legion and fearsome Giants. In Village Stronghold you need to find balance between your gold income and your amount of military troops & defenses to complete the goal of raising the prosperity of your village to 10.000 gold coins.

The whole map is still WIP and more info is coiming soon. Also note that the current map as seen in the screenshot below is a placeholder map and will be replaced with a larger and more interesting map when Village Stronghold is out of beta. For the beta I only still need edit some minor things and add the enemy waves.

Prosperity increases overtime for:
- each Farm you got (max 5 Farms).
- each cattle you got (trained at Farms).
- selling items at the Village Square.
- killing enemies (Giants give the most cash).
- getting the Looting and/or the Mercantile hero abilities for your Lord.

This map makes usage of a simple yet effective unit-counter system. There are 3 types of damage and 4 types of armor.

*The 3 types of damage:
- Piercing damage (mostly delivered by archers), deals more damage to Medium armor but less against Small- , Heavy- (many Roman units), and Fortified (buildings) armor.
- Normal damage (mostly delivered by anti-archer units), deals more damage to Small armor but less against Medium-, Heavy- and Fortified armor.
- Blunt damage (delivered by units that wear blunt weapons, like maces and hammers), deals more damage to Heavy armor but less against Small-, Medium- and Fortified armor.

More damage against = +40%, while less damage against =-20%, except for Fortified armor is explained below.

Fortified armor is somewhat different, is very resistant against other attacks. Piercing damage deals only 15% damage to buildings, while Normal Damage deals 25% damage to buildings and last Blunt damage, which is best used against structures, deals 50% damage to buildings.

Stronghold, trains: Builders, Ulfsarks and Trowing Axeman & researches Builder and structure upgrades.

Hill Fort, trains: all Viking military units & researches soldier upgrades.

Builder, creates Viking buildings and can lay traps.

Throwing Axeman, can lay Beartraps.

Upgrade order towers:
Lookout Tower -> Watch Tower
Watch Tower -> Sentry Tower or Guard Tower
Guard Tower -> Ballista Tower

In Village Stronghold, you play as Thane the Upriser, lord and master of this village Viking Village. Thane is a warrior lord, wears heavy plate armor and carries a large hammer which he uses to crush his opponents. Thane can learn 5 Hero abilities, each very different and can change the way you want to play this map.

Credits (if I am missing something, please say so):

VillageSquare
by MassiveMaster

7 Tier House
by Kitabatake

Orc Scout Tower
by Dark Hunter1357

Beartrap
by Pyramidhe@d

Dwarven Statue
by DarkChaplain

VikingLongHouse
by olofmoleman

Norse Hall
by Mr. Bob

Norse Stronghold
by Mr. Bob

Farm
by Kitabatake

Dwarven Thane
By Norinrad

Dwarven warrior
By General Frank

Orc Sentury Tower
by Beepo

7 Tier House
By Kitabatake

Dwarven Battlepriest
By Tranquil

Dwarven Berserker
By Tranquil

Villager Dwarf 2.1
By Just_Spectating

Dwarven axe thrower
by General Frank

Beartrap
By Pyramidhe@d

VillageSquare
By MassiveMaster

NorseBuilding
By Mr. Bob

Norse Stronghold
By Mr. Bob

Rostrodle Cavalier
by Cavman

Rostrodle Skirmisher
by Cavman

Rostrodle Javeliner
by Cavman

Rostrodle Legionary
by Cavman

OgreOneHeaded
by EvilShade

Auras
by JetFangInferno

BETA has been released which will give you a basic impression what the full version will look like. I will release updates overtime; balancing, fixing bugs and adding units (more to play with and more different type to fight against), items will be added, more traps will be added, more buildings will be added etc.

Hope you guys (/girls/shemales) have fun playing it!

Attachments

• Village Stronghold placeholder map.jpg
    Village Stronghold placeholder map.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 714
  • VillageStrongholdBETA.w3x
    2.7 MB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Level 17
Merry christmas all!

vikingsanta.jpg

sounds good I can't wait for the beta version to be released.
, thanks :)

is it possible to make this more than 1 player?
i think this would do well as a Player vs ai map
, possible, but the map has a large filesize (many custom models/skins, even the tilesets are custom). However, maybe when I replaced the placeholder map with a larger one, I might add an additional player slot which will be AI controlled if not used by another player (so that would make it a 1 or 2 player map).

But Vikings didn't exist at roman ages, at least Romans had little influence in those northern lands.
, giants also didn't exist :p

Interesting,do Stronghold Crusader or Stronghold 2 inspired you :) ?
, actually no, never played the Stronghold games. This maybe sounds weird, but I got inspired by Mount & Blade (M&B). In M&B you can somewhat increase the prosperity of your fiefs by stopping bandits/enemies from plundering it and you can upgrade your village (and some other things), but it is very limited in M&B and it isn't M&B's focus point (more something extra). So I decided to make a map purely on improving your village to a mighty and rich stronghold.

You are very right lol, but it doesn't matter in a map, or maybe it does?
, that depends on your opnion I quess ;)

What happened to Augumentation(Spelling?) warfare?
, I am somewhat less interested in wcr3 editing than before, so progress on older maps is slower (<- read this as 'alot slower').

Level 17
BETA has been released which will give you a basic impression what the full version will look like. I will release updates overtime; balancing, fixing bugs and adding units (more to play with and more different type to fight against), items will be added, more traps will be added, more buildings will be added etc.

Level 13
Once you release the next version let me know cause like I said the revive cost is too high so if the hero dies before the first "giant" attack from the north than you can't get any further.

Status
Not open for further replies.