• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Viking Invasion

Reactions: deepstrasz
VIKING INVASION

Description:
The map is set in the viking age (870-1066). The Anglo-Saxons battle each other often. The player can choose either Norway or Denmark. You can raid the coasts of Britain, weakened them or pile them. The Norway's goal is to defeat Ireland and create Dublin, Denmark's goal is to defeat Northumbria and create York. Though these towns are not mentioned in game. If Ireland is captured, Norwegian vikings can dominate the Celtic sea and send armies to Britain. When Anglo-Saxons are defeated, England will be unified, if Wessex takes over. So to win the game, Norway must defeat the Celts and Denmark must defeat Anglo-Saxons. If Wessex defeats other Anglo-Saxons, England will emerge. I removed Dublin and York because of a glitch. Orkney is a Norwegian colony, while Danelaw is a Danish colony. Historically, When Danelaw was defeated, Denmark took England. To defeat a player, you need to destroy all enemy buildings.

Features:
-12 players
-Viking hero and viking units
-Custom AI
-Ships (only for vikings)
-Custom tileset

Pictures:
ifc3ty.jpg

w1pbes.jpg

2irp7q1.jpg

21nl1xl.jpg

2a78kcy.jpg

17r9mf.jpg

Credits:
Icons
-EvilShade (Hill Giant)
-Norinrad (Thane)
-olofmoleman (Viking Longhouse)
-olofmoleman (Viking House)
Models
-Wandering Soul (Mounted Bandit Spearthrower, Human Berserker and Spearman)
-Mr. Bob (Medieval Buildings)
-RetroSexual (Arthas Axeman)
-Alastor (Viking Hero)
-Kitabatake (Crossbowman and Human Ballista)
-paulH (Dark Iron Clansman)
-HappyTauren (Human Archer)
-Tranquil (Human Pikeman, Dwarven Berserker and Dwarven Phalanx)
-olofmoleman (Viking Longhouse and house)
-Kuhnegetz (Mounted Arthas with hammer)
-Vermillion Edict (Norse Pillager)
-Radagast (Monk)
-Mechanical Man (Round hut)

Keywords:
Viking, Celtic, Anglo-Saxon, Invasion, Raid, Britain, Insular, Christianity, Norse, Nordic, Ships, Naval, North, Pirate, Wales, War, Axe
Contents

Viking Invasion (Map)

Reviews
Vengeancekael: Private Message Date: 2012/Feb/11 09:40:50 Reasons: Lacking Description: Template Missing custom preview image: To add a preview image, resize the image to 256x256 or 128x128 using gimp and save it as .tga. Import the image and...

M

Vengeancekael: Private Message
Date: 2012/Feb/11 09:40:50

Reasons:
Lacking Description: Template
Missing custom preview image: To add a preview image, resize the image to 256x256 or 128x128 using gimp and save it as .tga. Import the image and change its path to 'war3mapPreview.tga'.
Poor Gameplay, not a lot of originality or fun: General Mapping Tutorials

Other:
Check out the tutorials section: Tutorials
Check out the Map Development Section: Map Development Section
Check out the World Editor Help Zone (Trigger issues, object editor, overall WE issues): WE Help Zone

Comment: *Pink is very weak compared to yellow and yellow instantly attacks pink, while pink has no chances of defense
*No spells for your hero :/ Makes heroes actually more useless and not needed
*Add some quests with different commands like camera height commands, etc.
*Add some more grass around the environment (without collision of course)

The map lacks originality and some actual systems/features, since this is basically a melee map with functioning AI, however it's passable, but I'm expecting more.
Admin Contact - Resource Moderation - Rules

*Pink is very weak compared to yellow and yellow instantly attacks pink, while pink has no chances of defense

The map lacks originality and some actual systems/features, since this is basically a melee map with functioning AI, however it's passable, but I'm expecting more.

Rating: 2/5

Level 6
Can i join?
You know, Viking are a civil from Iceland, and goes to find New foundland.
They captaint is Erik.
Using longboat to traveling the seas.

Last edited:
Level 12
*Pink is very weak compared to yellow and yellow instantly attacks pink, while pink has no chances of defense

Rating: 2/5

The pink is the Danelaw, historically when Danelaw (pink) was defeated, England was made, then Denmark ruled it. I intentionally made Danelaw weak, so England can be formed. I deleted the quests due to my bad knowledge in variables and some glitch. Well, I thought of the strategic abilities, but there is no magic in this game, I do not know what can I add, what is your suggestion? I think the map has original terrain, units and buildings, I do not see what is not original. Well, I do not know what systems to implement.

Can i join?
You know, Viking are a civil from Iceland, and goes to find New foundland.
They captaint is Erik.
Using longboat to traveling the seas.

Join what? The map was made with the highest 450x450. Then it was with Iceland, Sweden, Finland, Faroe, Shetland, Halogaland, Francia but no Newfoundland. Then I found that including these areas are useless and I shortened the map drastically.

Any suggestions?

Level 15
i am more interested in the French and Germans honestly. vikings pretty much ended when guns were made, and they pretty much were nuts.
and maybe a siege system??
also vikings should have poor resource gathering abilities(they WERE raiders after all) and rely mostly on pillaging(with resource gathering abilities good enough to atleast provide a good sized weak raid force).
and vengencekael, in AOE 2 heroes were simply upgraded versions of there non-unit peers(mostly with icons, very few having custom units for themselves.). though it would also be odd for a viking to have spells no?
i mean in a game that is like AOE(age of empires if anyones wondering) it would be odd to see a viking captain who can throw fireballs.

Level 12
i am more interested in the French and Germans honestly. vikings pretty much ended when guns were made, and they pretty much were nuts.
and maybe a siege system??
also vikings should have poor resource gathering abilities(they WERE raiders after all) and rely mostly on pillaging(with resource gathering abilities good enough to atleast provide a good sized weak raid force).
and vengencekael, in AOE 2 heroes were simply upgraded versions of there non-unit peers(mostly with icons, very few having custom units for themselves.). though it would also be odd for a viking to have spells no?
i mean in a game that is like AOE(age of empires if anyones wondering) it would be odd to see a viking captain who can throw fireballs.

Vikings did not end when guns were made. They were Christianised in the 12th century, Christianity does not allow piracy, though Norman crusaders were pirates. If you played this game, you can see that there is a pillage upgrade icon, when you upgrade that, you gain money by destroying enemy buildings. In the Viking age the Franks had the largest empire in that time, and they created the Holy Roman Empire which is today Germany. The map was big, it had Germany and France, but I shortened it. I wanted also to make a Dark Age project, like 6th century, it is mainly around Anglo-Saxons and Franks, the Franks war with Bavarians, Frisians, Visigoths, Swabs, Saxons, Burgundians and others.

In age of empires there is no siege system. I think you mean the siege system like in Total War, where you can destroy walls and that.
I think in Viking times there were no viking rams, siege towers, catapults. And the walls in viking age were mostly palisades and the stone walls, the exception are the Franks, they were the first to upgrade walls and create castles, then the Normans under the influence of Franks perfected the construction of castles and walls.

Level 15
age of empires had walls i believe, also i would like to play total war but can't...i am too cheap to buy XD
and i didn't know that, thanks for the tidbits of history.
srsly thanks!
also i'm talking bad harvesting(like 2 gold or 4 lumber harvested per worker). To encourage players to make use of pillage.

Level 6
Nice jobs :D
Cool
And just need to be smoothing that edges on beach.
Make the grass near sea is sand. :/ 4/5