• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Viewing a custom model in Retara Model Studio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hi, i have recently started using Retaras Model Studio for making icons and other such things. I have no problem opening of the normal WC3 units using the drop down list on the right on the application however i cant seem to mange to open up any custom models and view them in the studio. I am trying to view models i have downloaded from this site in the studio. When i open the MDX file in Retaras Model studio nothing shows on the viewing screen. Any help appreciated

One possible cause for this issue in newer versions of Retera Model Studio is that the newer camera manager system handles the "FarZ" clipping of models differently, so in certain cases it is possible for the default view for a model to be too far away so that you cannot see the model. If this happens, you can hold down CTRL and then Scroll Down on the Mouse Wheel and it will zoom the "FarZ" further away, possibly making it easier to see models that might not have been showing in the view.

Other than that issue, I usually use "File -> Open" without much issue, so I haven't figured yet what kind of problem you might be hitting.

If the CTRL+Scroll Down solution does not work for you, try saving a normal WC3 unit model that you can open to some arbitrary file, then close Retera Model Studio and open it again, then use "File -> Open" on the unit you saved. If that much still works, the issue might be with the specific custom model you are interested in, in some way.

Glad it worked! Thanks!
slaps forhead thanks a lot !
No slapping necessary. In one of the newer versions I replaced the 3D camera angle pipeline with a different one, and you were not the first person who had this issue. Maybe at some point I can increase the default FarZ back to whatever it was before people started reporting this issue. In theory the computer only has a set amount of imaginary 3D space and having FarZ further away reduces model quality, but in practice probably no one cares versus when they can't see a model which is a bad user experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.