• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Vegan/Vegaterian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all who have entered this thread,

Iv recently become Vegan* and thought id share the reasons for the change and my first impressions of this lifestyle.
*Vegan:
Vegans endeavor not to use or consume animal products of any kind. So they do not eat meat or any other dairy product (like milk or eggs)

Reasons:
The main reason I became vegan was that I coulnt get the images out of my head of cows in cramped compartments, no natural light, no fresh air, unable to lie down, with metal suckers on them 24/7 just draining them of every ounce of milk. And chikens often live in even worse conditions... Hormone treatment, mutilation, unable to sleap, also stuck in tiny cages with other sick and dead chikens, just so we can get cheap eggs...
You didnt know that, go ahead and watch the movie.

WARNING! Grafic Content

A more suttle movie
First impressions;
Its soooo much easier than I thought it would be, but once you get started its actualy ok. Theres millions of vegan recepies on the I-net and theres a load of allternatives to milk and meat, like soya and tofu!
For all of those who say; "F**k it, meat is just 2 awsome!" just give it a try, its not that bad^^ honestly!

~Jacob~

Level 35
Cruelty to animals is unfortunate yes...But there is still a natural order that must be maintained and videos from peta (and the like) are not exactly the best source for anything in regards to completely altering your diet, lifestyle, and attitudes.

In today's society it near impossible to never consume anything with animal participation.

Even JELLO has animal products contained with in it, Geletin being made from animal bone. (last I checked)

Vegan lifestyles are far from healthy. Vegetarianism can be pulled off, and is honourable in my opinion...but Veganity is taking it to an extreme that will hurt more than your body.

You cannot shift from meat/veggies to a completely plant based diet, it is impossible, and will destroy your body. You have to WEEN yourself off of meat, and if you must ween yourself from eggs and milk.

Of course, eggs and milk are important, and you can't replace nature with vitamin pills, or soy.

Likewise, if you choose to be Vegan, DO NOT side yourself with PETA, or ALF, or anything even close on anything. They are just as cruel and sadistic towards animals as the most ruthless butcher, and they are three times as greedy. They care nothing for animals, they care only about the green in their salad, and the green in their pockets, and will scam anyone they see, and tear down anyone who so much as eats a bacon bit if they'll make money out of it.

Be careful is all I am saying, and remember also...

Humans suffer much the same in other areas of the world. Let us not forget their needs.

Level 35
That's one really damn shocking video indeed. One of the many.

Despite that, there are many reasons why people shouldn't switch to vegetarianism, I personally won't.

-Humans are not herbivores.
-We have a really large population to feed.
-Food industry offers a more jobs.
-One/ten/a hundred vegetarians won't stop capitalism.
-By not consuming any meat, you also loose a lot of vital minerals that can only be found in meat.
-Don't you do the same to plants too?

I'm not saying the conditions shouldn't be improved (hell, I could blame the recession), but you can't just abandon a necessary food type.

@ Elenai:
"In today's society it near impossible to never consume anything with animal participation."
>> Tru, it is very difficult. But in most major cities (I live in Berlin) there are many Vegan shops

"Even JELLO has animal products contained with in it""
>>Yup, JELLO is on my Banlist

""but Veganity is taking it to an extreme that will hurt more than your body.""
>>recent studies have shown that vegan/vegaterian diets reduce the rist of many heart disseases and increse your life span(!) info + Movie (German)

"DO NOT side yourself with PETA, or ALF"
>> Havnt realy joined any organisation, kinda pulling it off on my own^^

"Humans suffer much the same in other areas of the world:"
>> Tru! but... Billions of tons of wheat are farmed each year to feed dairy cows, pigs and chiken... If more people would go vegan, that wheat could be used to feed people.

Level 35
vegaterians live longer

They live longer in comparison to persons who eat high fat diets :p

The secret to living longer is a "balanced" diet. Which Vegan diets do not offer, but Vegitarian diets come close (eggs and milk being allowed)

>> Havnt realy joined any organisation, kinda pulling it off on my own^^

Good. And talk to your doctor, not a dietitian, or the internet. I'd rather not see you die of malnutrition (lack of proteins, etc)

If you are going to pull this off, do it right is all I say.

>> Tru! but... Billions of tons of wheat are farmed each year to feed dairy cows, pigs and chiken... If more people would go vegan, that wheat could be used to feed people.

Remember, that without hunting and etc...animals would crowd themselves out, and starve too. Or else kill people in loads of car accidents as with the case of deer, all the while expanding into human territory since over population causes their food to run out...and thus required hunting and all that...and I'd hate to see the meat wasted...

Also, the wheat would probably not be farmed at all since...well...they wouldn't need it and the prices would be driven up if less of it was farmed. (supply demand and all that)

Basically, both sides have their messy outcomes.

The main reason I became vegan was that I coulnt get the images out of my head of cows in cramped compartments, no natural light, no fresh air, unable to lie down, with metal suckers on them 24/7 just draining them of every ounce of milk. And chikens often live in even worse conditions... Hormone treatment, mutilation, unable to sleap, also stuck in tiny cages with other sick and dead chikens, just so we can get cheap eggs...

Then eat organic. Dunno how the situation is over there, but "organic" here means the animals aren't kept inside in little cages or anything.

Organic has nothing to do with mistreating animals.

Like I said, that's what it usually means here, in the UK. I don't know what "organic" specifically implies in other countries.

Also, communist_orc, those videos show the extremes. Very few farms are completely like that.

Level 34
Is it so hard not to live in a city and move into a village? I got an apple farm down the levee (apples, it's a natural thing) and chickens in the back garden who shit eggs at free will. Though it's hard to peel a fresh boiled egg..

Screw the minds of the eaters, I eat my meat and vegetables that get at least a sun and air.

Last edited:
Level 35
Is it so hard not to live in a city and move into a village? I got an apple farm down the levee (apples, it's a natural thing) and chickens in the back garden who shit eggs at free will. Though it's hard to peel a fresh boiled egg..

Screw the minds of the eaters, I eat my meat and vegetables that get at least a sun and air.

The way life should be :)

Level 30
An friend of mine, i call him A. here, eats nothing for what an animal died.
No meat, no normal eggs ( he just eats unfertilized eggs), no fish, etc.
His whole family, except his father, follow this view.
But A. has, in my opinion, a problem. He dislikes vegetables.
So what can he eat?

They found a good solution.
In fact, there's a lot you can eat then.
Potatoes, milk, bread, soy, a lot more, and all the things based on them (which is, honestly, really much).
Everytime i am there at the lunch, i get something else, new, which does not include anything of the denied food, and it still contains nearly everything what the human body needs, and tastes delicious.
A. still has a hight of nearly two metres and is completely fit.
It seems to work without meat as well.

Level 34
There is a funny fact about food:

If you eat nothing but rabbit, you die. It's full of proteins and vitamins yes, but err, you'll die from malnutrition strangly. It has happend often that trappers died from eating nothing but rabbits.

Level 24
At the end of the movie they said "Do it for your health" I lol'd

Well we all already knew that animals aren't treated well before they are killed. Why would you waste money for painkillers that will be given to animals just before they die? Waste of money I say. Seen these movies before and never even considered giving up on meat or any other animal product really, cause I simply don't care about the animals.

P.S The pig part made me a little bit sad just cause pigs are cute :S

Level 27
I care about the animals, but... just you not eating them doesn't rly make you better than others (Or change anything about it, lot's of people will not stop eating meat they are to used to it and humans are carnivors by nature!!!). Just eat them because that way their death would actually have a purpose we always say here...

This is just a pile of bull (no pun intended). Focusing on only one type of food is bad for you, whether is it veggies or meat. Always try to have a decent mix of everything. Also, people who mix stuff well end up to see their late nineties.
lol stfu.
Being veggie is harmless for your body if you eat wide variety of vegetables.
I have proof on official paper.

@communist_orc: I watched movies.
I guess they shown the worst of the worst.
Very incitative, didn't liked how the narrator try to induce you.He could stfu the image speaks for itself.
If I'd were one of those pig I'd so fucking want to gtfo of that hell.
Well if you eat in a fast food compagny (KFC,McDonald...) it sure come from there; since they have a huge need of meat with maximized productivity.That's the reason it's so cheap.
But not every farms threaten animals like that.

Level 15
Personally, I might survive being a normal vegetarian, but a vegan? No. I would surely waste away. I run 10-15km a week and work out regularly, and the amount of protein required to keep up such activity far surpasses what I could reasonably consume in a vegan diet.

Your choice though. Glad you have found a diet with which you are happy and content. :smile:

Level 45
I think its stupid and ignorant, you have to accept life and all of its cruelties/causalities. There is no point to suffer/damage your body because of other person or "life form" in this case.
I will eat meat regardless of its sources suffering, because to stop a tradition that has been going on ever since the dawn of life, is stupid.

Lions and other predators usually cause more suffering to their prey than what a farmer does to their finest sheep. Clawing of the back, biting their stomachs and tearing it open as the predator feasts and pulls out all the entrails while its still standing, taking of their childrenn and hearing its shrilled screams of pain as a predator clamps its sharp claws over its frail legs, shoving giant fangs through their necks as they suffocate and bleed to death.

Alot of diary cows iv come across are very happy, content and playful creatures aswell. Infact, they enjoy being milked as they are rewarded with extra feed and plentiful amounts of water. Cows in this area literally walk up to the milking stations without being called by the farmer.

Instead of watching retarded videos that have recorded what rarely happens, go visit your local diary farm or slaughter house. Dont like what you see, then I beleive you have the proper observation skills to make a more claritive decision.

The videos you have been shown by the eco-terrorists/animal killers named Peta exagerate systems that do the bad thing, there is only a small odd that go through such cruel systems. Peta uses fear and shock methods to get people to change their natural way of life (and to get them money in return for it). Heck, the leader of Peta supports the testing of drugs on pigs, due to the fact she take insulin and supports it for her benefit. The stupid bitch even thinks all dogs/pets should die since they cant be released in the wild and are put as slaves to humans.

If you have some thing agaisnt the cruelty of animals in terms the rare cases being evident in slaughter houses, then thats your thing. But you are clearly being twisted by a form of exageration and need to learn you have to accept things in life, the good and the bad and move on, in order to survive you have to be selfish, its a human instinct. You can either seek medical help or take your possibly life risky and rough road of self starvation of a natural diet.

Personally i wont hold it agaisnt you, but i think its pretty retarded and a waste of time, effort and possibly money.

Goodluck with whatever choice you make, as long as you are/become healthy in both body and mind regardless of the choice you take, ill support you.

Level 12
If you had lived in Tillamook Oregon, you would think this video is bullshit. I lived there for 8 years, this video is bullshit. Those are probably farms in China since they don't even give a shit for their own babies.

Butchering usually consists of the animal being stunned with electricity and then its throat slit. I don't know if they feel any pain, but honestly, what are they supposed to do? Guillotine it? They can't shoot it for obvious reasons. You must really hate hunters since when they shoot a deer or w/e it can take up to an hour for it to die.

I personally don't like the taste of meat that much, but I don't really see anything wrong with it. I've been in a chicken coop before (I recommend a gas mask) and it was 1 chicken per cage with decent room. Japanese are notorious for their steroid cows so just don't eat any beef made by them. You need to eat American beef! "It's good for you" - Bush

*OFF TOPIC* For a while I thought Bush said the worst line ever, "They are inventing ever new ways of killing Americans, and so are we". But then I remember Bill Clinton's, "I smoked pot but I didn't inhale" XD

Whoa, loads of opinions! I wasnt aware of some things sayed; cause like I sayed, I just recently stoped eating meat and changed to soya milk & veggies (and fruit, yum^^).

A few of u guys mentioned that humans are 'natural' meateaters... Are they realy? They are not built like mosts predators; e.g. run fast, sharp teath or claws... The only reason we can catch a lot of animals is that we use tools (spears, guns, traps) which have only been developed recently in the human history.

RenegadeMushroom

R

RenegadeMushroom

Ugh, the pigs being killed in the first video was disgusting.....I stopped watching there...

A few of u guys mentioned that humans are 'natural' meateaters... Are they realy? They are not built like mosts predators; e.g. run fast, sharp teath or claws... The only reason we can catch a lot of animals is that we use tools (spears, guns, traps) which have only been developed recently in the human history.

You know those pointy teeth you have in your mouth? Those are for meat.
And yeah, we use our brains rather than our brawn to catch prey.

Level 27
If you are doing it because you oppose the way some people are treating animals, I can assure you that your efforts are entirely in vain. Aside from what many before me have said about the misleading properties of the video, you will not cripple the organizations doing these things to animals by not buying their products. You see, our population is increasing. As long as there is a single mouth to feed that will eat animals treated in ways you dislike, there will be this treatment that you dislike. That is, if you do nothing about the actual issue. However, there are levels of corruption far deeper and significant than mistreatment of animals, and fixing those could easily stop this treatment as a side effect.

Level 8
There is a funny fact about food:

If you eat nothing but rabbit, you die. It's full of proteins and vitamins yes, but err, you'll die from malnutrition strangly. It has happend often that trappers died from eating nothing but rabbits.
protein poisoning, rabbit meat is pretty much only proteins.

@ communist_orc

we probably haven't evolved like most other predators i think is because we ould use tools during our evolution, therefore the need for fangs, claws and the like was eliminated, and you should probably know that the ancient neanderthal used spears and traps, so they weren't developed recently
these videos capture the worst of the worst animal treatment on farms, and they were made that way by PETA and other organizations of the sort to make a profit by exploiting the shock they cause.

And about pets being released in the wild, i have a guinea pig, sure it lives in an aquarium, but it gets fed regularly, and there are no natural predators lurking around my apartment, if i was to release it into say... a park, i think it wouldn't be too happy, since it'll probably end up catfood within the hour.

Level 34
I live in a very rural area, we have a large number of dairy farms here, and there is no cruelty to animals. As people have stated, animal cruelty happens, and is unfortunate, but I see no reason to change my diet because of it. Besides, there are other ways to fight against it.

I also would like to restate what Elenai said. There are millions of humans starving around the world, and being treated just as poorly. This concerns me far more.

Level 9
Being vegan doesn't matter, the animal still gets killed and ends up lying as a peace of meat in a store, with just an increase of change for it not to be sold.. which would be a waste.

I do not eat plants, tigers don't eat plants hummies don't eat plants

Meat and especcially fishies contain plenty of energy, and usefull stuf tofu and soja lacks. not consuming any dairy is always a bad idea, (plus i can't see why you shouldn't as a veggie)

Meat is yummy... the animals need better threatment though, but beware, the movie shows the worst of the worst, its not really representative.

Level 5
By the way, the grain that is fed to animals is low-grade, even if we stopped butchering animals for food to obtain that grain, the only people that would purchase it would be primarily in third-world contries, which results in the need to ship it there.

Level 35
Meat is the primary reason we as a civilization are able to advance. Since it is meat that provides much of our brain power (fish mostly).

Agriculture is two pronged, veggies, AND domesticated animals that we use, and consume. Without the second part of agriculture we as a civilization would not advance.

(yet another reason I don't support "en masse vegan conversion" like the kind Peta wants to uphold)

Individuals should have the right to consume meat if they wish, or, limit their diets to plant life. But videos like this only serve to 'troll' someone into giving up a primary need (meat) and it hurts their bodies, and minds, far more than it will ever help the animals in those cages.

To leave meat requires 'weening' and substitution, so your body can get used to the change gradually. Don't shock it with a sudden diet change, because your body is used to digesting, and processing foods that you put into it on a daily basis (like meat). And do the research from unbiased sources, like your doctor. Peta, and vegan diet books, ARE NOT good sources. Ingrid New'quirk' is a nut, and she would have you destroy your own body permanently, rather than see a pig suffer to watch a boring movie. (unless it was her causing the suffering, and she got paid for it)

Remember, if you want to stop cruelty, you need to begin not with cutting business out of your lifestyle. But by coercing the business to alter their methods towards yours. "I will buy your meat, but you must not use these cruel methods" will work better than "I'm boycotting you", because with the former method, you can get others behind you. Even the meat marketeers, instead of alienating, and ultimately isolating yourself from them.

Level 34
Agriculture is two pronged, veggies, AND domesticated animals that we use, and consume. Without the second part of agriculture we as a civilization would not advance.

Dear brother Elenai, did you know that the first animals to be herded for food were snails in the year 10,700 BC?

Level 12
Omg, I am very hungry now, and I am lazy to go to kitchen to eat. What should I do?

Ofc humans are meat-eaters. For what other purpose for the hell do we have eyes close to each other (unlike above mentioned rabbits, they have bigger angle of view, with eyes on the side of head). Thats couse we see 3D, thats good to calculate distance etc. etc. of the animal_going_to_be_eaten. No need to see many thing, but less things, but better. quality>quantity

So Oddysea by Homer is one big bullshit, couse cyclops cannot be predators, ergo that cyclop didnt eat oddyseus's men.

Dreadnought[dA];1057206 said:
Why is it humans crave fatty things? O SNAP!

Because in prehistoric times, fatty foods were hard to come by and provided a good source of energy. Fat is broken down slowly, so someone could eat some fat and then use it over several days.

The problem nowadays is that most people don't do enough exercise to burn off that fat. That and fatty foods are much easier to obtain, at least in developed countries.

thick vegitable soup and boiled egg. i just had that.
the vegitable soup was very filling and its nice and warm too. better than meat soup
i just had normal eggs(judging from taste) but you can get free range eggs if they sell them at the supermarket. they taste better and are free range meaning the hens laying the eggs are not cruelly locked up.
or if you could just have a hen in your backyard and eat those eggs. i used to have chickens. but they poo anywhere so you gotta clean those up. but the eggs are so much better than anyting on the market, its worth the trouble

Level 34
thick vegitable soup and boiled egg. i just had that.
the vegitable soup was very filling and its nice and warm too. better than meat soup
i just had normal eggs(judging from taste) but you can get free range eggs if they sell them at the supermarket. they taste better and are free range meaning the hens laying the eggs are not cruelly locked up.
or if you could just have a hen in your backyard and eat those eggs. i used to have chickens. but they poo anywhere so you gotta clean those up. but the eggs are so much better than anyting on the market, its worth the trouble

Everytime I let the chickens out, they reduce the garden to something horrifying, they eat all the pretty flowers. That's why we don't let them every single time out, it ruins the grass too.

Status
Not open for further replies.