• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Valkyrie

As many people asked me about this and with Reforged making all my model creations kind of outdated anyway, I decided to upload my latest hero model for Gaias Retaliation to the public.

Maybe someone who doesn't want to switch to the new art style of Reforged can make good use of this.
Enjoy! :)

Features:
- team colored hair
- two sets of completely custom made animations; a 1-handed sword attacking style and a lance type weapon style using the "defend" animation tag
- comes in two versions: one with a swappable armor texture (uses replacable texture id 31 to swap out body textures) as I use in Gaias Retaliation and one with the armor texture baked into the model as a non-swappable texture
- "stand victory" is riding animation that can be used to attach different mounts underneath the hero; it also moves the right hand attachment point to the backside of the model so that any attached weapons will be attached to the character's back when riding a mount
- a high resolution face with extra detail for good looking portrait animations

EDIT: I also added a basic lance model to the downloads for use with the "defend" animations so you have something to experiment with.
Previews
Contents

Alternate Skin 1 (Texture)

Alternate Skin 2 (Texture)

Lance (Model)

Valkyrie (non-swappable armor texture) (Model)

Valkyrie (with swappable armor texture) (Model)

Reviews
General Frank
A nice model that is probably useful for my RPG type maps. Works in-game and performs well. Approved.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
This is just because the texture I used from my selection of armor textures is pretty low resolution around the hands. It's a tradeoff I had to do to make it fit the 512x512 texture limit.

I will probably try to upscale the model in reforged, increasing the poly count and detail on the armor and making new highres textures.

EDIT: I also added a lance model to the downloads because there aren't any on hive and you probably want a basic model to test this unit with.

EDIT2: And two of my swappable armor texture variants so you can test out that feature.

texture_swap.jpg

Last edited:

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
I have over 20 alternate skins for this, but I can't upload them all simply because I paid money for them and wouldn't want to spread them around for free for obvious reasons.
It's easy to create your own skins, though. The texture mapping is done in a way that makes it very convenient to copy and paste stuff in with slight modifications.
I can probably share the "naked" texture I used as a base template if someone wants to paint their own armor designs.

Wow really effective armor :|
It's skimpy armor in a fantasy game. Get over it.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
They removed the 512x512 texture limit in on of the resent updates.
I know. But this model was created long before the file size limits and texture size limits got removed.

I will create a high resolution version of this with new textures and increased polygon count and more attack styles when the Reforged tools become available.

Looks like somebody had a bit too much fun while animating :grin:
What can I say? Gravity is a wonderful thing... :ogre_hurrhurr:

That's the absurdity of animating: making boob physics is very easy. Yet nobody ever compliments you on correct physics of hair and cloth parts, which is much much harder to get right and took me DAYS to make.

Last edited:
Level 14
I compliment you for the hair and cloth animation effort. The attack animation movements look very fluid and good. I don't like the emphasis on boobs physics simulation throughout the sequences. I think there's something off with the walk cycle I can't really put my finger on, but it could use a review. Finally, a model with this amount of quality and attention to detail should move its face more during Portrait Talk - for starters, it could move its eyebrows.
Overall excellent product. Would you be okay if I used its animations (in part or full, or even just as a reference) for some of my character models?

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
I compliment you for the hair and cloth animation effort. The attack animation movements look very fluid and good. I don't like the emphasis on boobs physics simulation throughout the sequences. I think there's something off with the walk cycle I can't really put my finger on, but it could use a review. Finally, a model with this amount of quality and attention to detail should move its face more during Portrait Talk - for starters, it could move its eyebrows.
Overall excellent product. Would you be okay if I used its animations (in part or full, or even just as a reference) for some of my character models?
Sure, you can use these animations for something else.
I can't guarantee it translates well to other models, though, as there are many "special" bones for the cloth and hair parts that most models will not have.

About the walk cycle: It looks exagerated in the previewer, yes, but I don't think it looks off ingame. I think the previewer kinda messes up some animations by linearizing them.
The model was designed to look good from birdseye perspective, hence why the walk cycle looks so jumpy.

Also, the talk animation looks pretty good ingame. The previewer doesn't do it justice.

Level 4
Sorry for the late rate. This model is gorgeous. And come to handy, especially if you want to make an adventure or rpg maps and those items can be attached when in the inventory. Also it is a good model as a range hero. Nice one :)

Level 1
I'm sorry to ask this, seeing as nobody else seems to have any issues, but I can't seem to get the replaceable model's base textures working.

First, I attempted to do the simple texture replace according to this guide: How to: Import a Skin -- and only got blank, white textures over the character model below the head.

Second, I tried this method, thinking that perhaps the word "replaceable" meant to try this: How To Make One Model Use Many Skins and got the same error.

The ReadMe file mentions that it uses "uses replacable texture id 31 to swap out body textures" and after a great deal of searching for what that means, I found nothing save for how to replace textures on doodads which didn't seem to work for this model as it isn't a doodad. Unless I'm misinterpreting all of this.

Deciding I was probably too quick to jump to something that advanced, I decided to just try the base model just to see if it worked unedited and I still got the exact same problem: a blank, white texture below the head.

Can anyone help me get the textures to work? Thanks.

Last edited:

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
I'm sorry to ask this, seeing as nobody else seems to have any issues, but I can't seem to get the replaceable model's base textures working.

First, I attempted to do the simple texture replace according to this guide: How to: Import a Skin -- and only got blank, white textures over the character model below the head.

Second, I tried this method, thinking that perhaps the word "replaceable" meant to try this: How To Make One Model Use Many Skins and got the same error.

The ReadMe file mentions that it uses "uses replacable texture id 31 to swap out body textures" and after a great deal of searching for what that means, I found nothing save for how to replace textures on doodads which didn't seem to work for this model as it isn't a doodad. Unless I'm misinterpreting all of this.

Deciding I was probably too quick to jump to something that advanced, I decided to just try the base model just to see if it worked unedited and I still got the exact same problem: a blank, white texture below the head.

Can anyone help me get the textures to work? Thanks.
You used the swappable texture version then.
Maybe you accidentally downloaded the same model twice?

The reason the model appears white ingame is because of the "alpha" texture. Its the trick used to swap textures ingame via the warclub ability.

To remove the white texture, simply remove the "alpha" texture in material layers.