• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Uther the Lightbringer (Re-Classic)

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Uther the Lightbringer
258857-c228bc2d743e17f7d1c9a36b318a8cb4.png
878071.jpg
Base Model Credits
Unit Type
Melee Hero
Author's Notes
Visit Johnwar's Models Discussion for updates and links for my models. :smile:
Previews
Contents

Uther A (Model)

Uther B (Model)

Uther the Lightbringer (Model)

Reviews
ILH
ILH
Fair amount of edits for Uther. Works in-game. Approved!
How profoundly unique!
F warcraft for killing off both Uther and Grom tho :cry:
Actually, no. Blizzard's to blame for unnecessary retcons to the lore.
Shadowlands should never have been released because it's half-baked and focuses much on the Cosmology, which is also half-baked.
Also, IMO, Christie Golden shouldn't have written Sylvanas, if it retcons Edge of Night.

This model appears to suffer from the issue where the ribbon emitters on the weapon are perpendicular to the shaft of the weapon instead of parallel. My theory is that originally ribbon emitters on weapons were meant to be similar to when an artist draws cartoon lines behind a moving object to indicate the speed with which it was moving.

However, due to bugs and inconsistencies in model editor programs like War3ModelEditor or whatever, a lot of uploaded models to Hive inadvertently and accidentally flip the ribbon emitter so that it is perpendicular to the shaft of the weapon, which then presents itself like a magically induced width to the weapon or something else weird that we don't see in original Warcraft 3 classic models much at all. For many years we had no "View in 3D" on Hive and we had only programs like Magos that don't properly preview this so many models would be uploaded and the issue could only be verified ingame.

However, we live in the future now where we have epic, awesome technology like "View in 3D" and we can quickly see that the ribbon emitter on this model is bugged to be perpendicular versus if we look at the original paladin where the emitter is parallel as if to indicate fast motion.

So, can I ask to double check, as an artist @johnwar did you intend to flip the ribbon? Or maybe did you start from an Ujimasa Hojo resource that was likewise bugged or whatever?

I'm curious because this feels like a case where people making MDX software kind of failed the community because of all these tools that erroneously flip ribbons, so it seems like I might be benefiting society by pointing out the issue whenever I see it.

Level 58
This model appears to suffer from the issue where the ribbon emitters on the weapon are perpendicular to the shaft of the weapon instead of parallel. My theory is that originally ribbon emitters on weapons were meant to be similar to when an artist draws cartoon lines behind a moving object to indicate the speed with which it was moving.

However, due to bugs and inconsistencies in model editor programs like War3ModelEditor or whatever, a lot of uploaded models to Hive inadvertently and accidentally flip the ribbon emitter so that it is perpendicular to the shaft of the weapon, which then presents itself like a magically induced width to the weapon or something else weird that we don't see in original Warcraft 3 classic models much at all. For many years we had no "View in 3D" on Hive and we had only programs like Magos that don't properly preview this so many models would be uploaded and the issue could only be verified ingame.

However, we live in the future now where we have epic, awesome technology like "View in 3D" and we can quickly see that the ribbon emitter on this model is bugged to be perpendicular versus if we look at the original paladin where the emitter is parallel as if to indicate fast motion.

So, can I ask to double check, as an artist @johnwar did you intend to flip the ribbon? Or maybe did you start from an Ujimasa Hojo resource that was likewise bugged or whatever?

I'm curious because this feels like a case where people making MDX software kind of failed the community because of all these tools that erroneously flip ribbons, so it seems like I might be benefiting society by pointing out the issue whenever I see it.
I started on the model of Ujimasa Hojo.