• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Using Garena for Warcraft 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hey all,

I've recently heard alot of people say I should use garena to play warcraft 3 instead through battlenet.
I've downloaded it, but have no idea how to add warcraft 3 to it or something?

Or am I totally missunderstanding them o_O?

Level 20
What they have failed to tell you is that Garena removed LAN feature few months ago, and only some countries can still use it (I only know so far that Bulgarians can). If there is a trick to still use it I don't know. Since you can play on battlenet why not play there, it can't be that bad.

Level 21
There is indeed lots of dota on gameranger too, but some of it is categorized separately from other custom maps.
Also, unlike with garena, bots don't appear to harm actual players, because there is no way a bot can stop you from hosting.

Level 3
There is indeed lots of dota on gameranger too, but some of it is categorized separately from other custom maps.
Also, unlike with garena, bots don't appear to harm actual players, because there is no way a bot can stop you from hosting.

Mmmh. It seems the problem with gameranger with me is I constantly get the error "No late joining" on 90% of the games..

Thing is, After that error - the game doesn't disappear from the list either, it just stays there... If that game already started, shouldn't it be removed from the list normally...?

Level 21
Gameranger is designed for many kinds of games, not just warcraft III. Some allow late joining, but not warcraft. You can find open games by looking at those that don't have the green circle next to them. You can even sort them based on that I suppose.

Level 2
Although there was no official word for Garena's LAN restrictions I would say it's something to do with copyright infringement (it certainly breaks War3's EULA). The country's that have been prohibited frequently have more mature IP laws, ergo, pose a greater legal threat to the company.

For example, compare a few countries (these are just off the top of my head which come from testing a lot of proxies (one way to still access the LAN feature from a banned country))

Banned: Australia, United States, United Kingdom, Sweden, Germany, China
Allowed: Russia, Ukraine, Iran, Pakistan, Uganda, Brazil

Interesting to note however that the rooms of banned countries are still visible (and accessible) and, unsurprisingly, are occupied by a handful of 'hostbots'

Status
Not open for further replies.