• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Usernames question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
I implemented a kick command in my map, for a select few users. I got them to all make new accounts and claim them on all realms. But one of the accounts seems to be compromised.

The kick commands check ingame username to allow kicking. But is it possible to Spoof your username and get it exactly the same that it would match ingame?

Like for example

Bob is taken on all realms.

Map checks if the name = Bob give commands.

Could someone spoof their name to match 'Bob' exactly in a game?
I'm gonna remove the commands regardless but just wondering if it's only someone didn't claim their realm properly or if spoofing could be the issue. Thanks.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The kick commands check ingame username to allow kicking. But is it possible to Spoof your username and get it exactly the same that it would match ingame?
Could someone spoof their name to match 'Bob' exactly in a game?
One used to be able to spoof names due to the lobbies being peer hosted and using a similar system as used by LAN play. I thought one of the recent patches added protection against this however by having the lobbies hosted by Blizzard and automatically using the actual account names.

Status
Not open for further replies.