• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Use of Hiveworkshop Assests Outside Warcraft 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I advise asking the creators of custom content before porting it if you can. Many of them may have, for some reason, only wanted to model used in WC3 and might take great offense if you use it for other purposes. Generally however people should be fine with it (they want their models used after all).

Level 22
I used AfroNight's MegaMan model to create sprites (a combination of pictures) for a 2D fighting engine called Mugen. I dont think he'd sue me for creating pictures in different poses. Ofc if those sprites went public which never happened, credit for where this sprites material comes from. So if you're gonna use them like that, I don't think it's a deal. If you use the texture directly as a texture for another game, it may matter since it's direct use, so the creator should be asked I think.

So do I, but I remember quite a few people complaining when someone used their model in a different map than the one they made it for (even though they correctly gave credits) and this was within WC3 let alone another game.

I'm pretty sure those models weren't "assets on this site", rather ripped models from a map.

Level 19
At this point, who's really going to care? The game's been out for nearly as long as Starcraft 1, and I doubt Blizzard would mind seeing a model with one of their textures used in a mod for another game. They have other things to do with their time other than get after modders who are just interested in the same business that they are.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
At this point, who's really going to care? The game's been out for nearly as long as Starcraft 1, and I doubt Blizzard would mind seeing a model with one of their textures used in a mod for another game. They have other things to do with their time other than get after modders who are just interested in the same business that they are.
Learn busniess...

With that logic Disney would not care if people pirated their old films, which is clearly not the case where they instead sue people who do and demand outrageous copy protection be put in every device from an Ipod to the PS3.

In the case of blizzard, yes the employees do not care but the laywers of Activision Blizzard do.

Level 19
Learn busniess...

With that logic Disney would not care if people pirated their old films, which is clearly not the case where they instead sue people who do and demand outrageous copy protection be put in every device from an Ipod to the PS3.

In the case of blizzard, yes the employees do not care but the laywers of Activision Blizzard do.

Building up a case against a guy who used a 2d piece of art in his mod would be pretty pitiful coming from a company of that nature, and would probably arise negative attention for them that they would otherwise want to avoid.

But I see your point.

Status
Not open for further replies.