• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Request for a hiveworkshop policy on models:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

Im a StarCraft 2 modeler that has gained a fair share of success in a few maps by porting over WarCraft 3 assets to use.

There are a lot of great models on hiveworkshop that, with a fair number of alterations, can be used in StarCraft 2.

The question is do I have to contact every single maker of a model posted on hiveworkshop just to use what is essentially the same thing for StarCraft 2?

Here is what I'm thinking:

It is ok to port a model that was posted on HiveWorkShop without the maker's permission provided that:

1. The porter credits the maker of the WarCraft 3 version in his map.
2. The porter posts the ported model (and textures) in the StarCraft 2 Assets portion of HiveWorkShop with credit to the original maker. This posted name may claim no credit for the model on behalf of the person who ported it. So say a certain "bob" made a few boat models models. I cannot post them in the StarCraft 2 section saying "Focke's Carrack" or something that attempts to steal the main credit.
3. The porter may not post the ported model on any other website without the original creator's permission.

What do you guys think?

I'm going to be making guides on how to do this over at BrokenAlliances.com but any non-Blizzard assets will most likely come from here. It would be nice not having to wait on PMs from people who haven't been seen in 3 years.

The content made here is not owned by Hiveworkshop, so we can't make a policy for it.
All the content is owned by the users who made it, so before you alter it and upload it, you should ask for the permission of the author.

It would be nice not having to wait on PMs from people who haven't been seen in 3 years.

In cases like this, it's totally fine if you don't ask for permission but remember to give credits because you have no other choice.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
WarCraft III models look very bad in StarCraft II due to the lack of detail for the game engine. However nothing stops you from porting and using the models from the WarCraft III section in StarCraft II maps as they are in the public domain and cannot be removed by Blizzard from BattleNet.

I'm not too worried about detail..

The SC2 Engine is a piece of crap first of all,

And second of all on maps where you have hundres of units in more of a broad-strategy style game (say a diplomacy) warcraft 3 models have the added advantage of not taxing the player's computers nearly as badly. I've been playing with the idea for a while and the units models are really too small on the map for the player to really notice the difference.

The Sc2 engine isn't crap. Seriously, I will be making a horror game after 1.5 and art tools are out, and i've already shown how awesome the engine can be.
Terrain%20001.jpg
Terrain%20002.jpg
Terrain%20003.jpg
Terrain%20004.jpg
Terrain%20005.jpg

And just for the epicness, ONLY 290KB COMPRESSED!

Level 22
^ Usually the ones who tell it are those who have wooden pcs, I also can't play properly even on High and I like seeing the water reflective and the units burning but I had to go Medium, for which I am considering of replacing the video card with new one or doing cross-fire if I can. Yeah the tools, will be great when released.

Yes the StarCraft 2 engine is a piece of crap.

First of all I am not lacking on hardware. I have a pair of 6950's in cross fire, a 3ghz quad core and 8GB of RAM.

The reason I saw its crap is because I HAVE ALREADY MADE MODELS FROM SCRATCH FOR IT.

One of the things I discovered is that overlapping meshes, especialy ones that are animated can cause memory leaks because the effective poly count gets multipled far higher than it should when they overlap and doesn't get unloaded from memory. A simple issue that good coding would have prevented.

I have a guide on SC2mapster on what to avoid.

Simply: No overlapping meshes. Integrate or space whenever possible.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Can't Blizzard fix that issue? They just have to be made aware of it. If you post in the EU battle.net forums, I can bump it if it falls down.

As for the models, most submissions here are based on Blizzard models and 99% have Blizzard animations. The freehand stuff isn't copyrighted by default, but in case the author doesn't permit it, we can always remove the model later. I'd be happy with any medieval themed ports =)

Status
Not open for further replies.