• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Urgent: is there any map compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Vexorian's optimizer is about the best you can do. Do be warned that this compression will render the map unable to be opened by World Edit so you are strongly advised to make multiple backups before applying it. If that fails to compress the map sufficiently you will need to delete some imported assets.

Level 16
I'm guessing you've bypassed the 8MB limit, that's why your urgently need to decrease the map size? If this is the case, the map size is likely due to having a large number of imports, such as music, sounds, models and textures. Compressing the map like mentioned above will do little to solve the problem in this case.

Compress your files in your map to reduce the map size. Compression is a method used to usually decrease
the quality and file size of a file. Your map can be compressed and the files (imports) inside your map can
also be compressed.

There is not much you can do to compress model files.

I don't normally mention that program because it has personally offered me no results in the past. Perhaps all the models I've downloaded have already been optimized before they were published. Anyway, its worth mentioning I suppose.

It doesn't change the file size directly. You'll only notice the difference once you import it into your map.

For example, a model that is 300 kb might still be 300 kb after it is squished. Let's say the map takes up 400 kb with the normal model. With the squished model, the map might take up ~150-300 kb.

There are actually a decent amount of ways to compress models (weld vertices, remove useless keyframes, convert hermite/bezier animations to linear--this affects animation quality but it is unnoticeable in some cases). MDX Squisher zeroes out the least useful bytes--causing some imprecision but it is *usually* not noticeable. Since this is just changing the bits (not removing them), it doesn't do anything to the direct file size. However, maps are actually sorta like *.zip archives--they run compression algorithms on your imports! While the algorithms are pretty complex, the main idea is to find patterns and take advantage of the fact that there are patterns. So when the map sees a bunch of zero-bits in your model, it'll be able to express that compactly, saving a lot of space. :)

GhostWolf posted a tool that does squishing as well as the animation compression mentioned above:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/tools-560/mdx-m3-optimizer-243674/

Status
Not open for further replies.