• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Upon the shores

Reactions: deepstrasz
Upon the shores

This is going to be my last "basic map". Next maps will be a more unique and innovative approach, really looking forward to it. I just wanted to have a solid foundation and feedback regarding more simple maps before i get into more unique stuff.

As always, any feedback or criticism is appreciated.

Map description: Chasing something that they will never obtain, countless wanderers travelled to this island on the cost of lordearon. The old temple has been gone for ages, but there is still something mystical about this place.

• 2 Players
  • 4 Expansions
  • 2 Golbin merchants
  • 2 Goblin Laboratorys
  • 2 Mercenary camps
Creeps

• 6 Green camps
  • 10 Orange camps
  • 2 Red camps
Changes
  • January 28th, 2018
    • Fixed creep aggro at top left shop
    • adjusted terrain to balance aow-creep options
    • Murloc spots
      • changed dropped item from lvl2 power up to lvl1 permanent item
    • Natural expansions
      • changed forest troll trapper with a forest troll berseker
      • chenges ogre mauler with a orge warrior
    • adjusted tavern placement slightly
    • removed some critters

greetings, vara
Previews
Contents

Upon the shores (Map)

Reviews
mafe
Looking at the map again, it doesnt have much "special" stuff indeed, but the basics are again solid, with the following exceptions: -The creep at the top left shop attack units that walk past them. -AoW creeping options are uneven: You can place an...
deepstrasz
Approved on behalf of @mafe's review after changes had been made.
WolfFarkas
Hello there Review: -Green creep looting a permanent level 2 is a bit too much, and because is near base a permanent level 1 is more ok. Perma level 2 is for level 10-13 orange creep aprox. you have the green creep orge warrior loting a permanent...

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
Looking at the map again, it doesnt have much "special" stuff indeed, but the basics are again solid, with the following exceptions:
-The creep at the top left shop attack units that walk past them.
-AoW creeping options are uneven: You can place an AoW near the left lab, but not near the right. Also you can place one near the bot right shop (though this is a rather unlikely position), but not near the top left. In general, nightelves wont like the ubuildable terrain terrain that you have near most creepspots (even the smaller ones).
-That murloc spot with the lvl 2 powerup: That is an absolute no-go. If you creep it and get a tome of experience, you are lvl 2, while in other situation you are not. Huge difference in particular in mirror matchups. On EI, the similar creepspot works because it is far away from the main base (I'm still not a fan however).
-The expansions: On any competitive map, there is a goldmine that is clearly closer to one play than the other. The logic is: In hu vs ud the hu must expand to have a chance to win, and to successfully expand, you need to be able to secure a temporary advantage in a position (since the enemy expects it and will try to harass you). So I think this can only happen if the goldmine is closer to the hu base than to the ud.

Some minor nitpickings: Near the tavern, there is a small gap between doodads where small units can pass though but bigger ones cant. Also, there are really many critters.

Level 4
@mafe, thanks for your feedback. I'm learning a lot here.

- made adjustments to the creepspots (aggro, murloc drop, aow-creepability)
- i changed the natural expansion to the same spots as the starting-positions on TR. My idea with the placement of the goldmines is to have a "difficult" but close natural and easier to take expansions that are far away from the main (like on TS, for example). Altough i don't quite know if this is the best situation, the fact that the distance from both mains to the outer expansions being somewhat the same is intentional. I wanted to try that and see how it works... However right now i think that the natural is somewhat safe to take as hu (tested instant expansion with am, 2 footies, 2 WE's and 7 militia, creepable without loss if not harassed). I kind of always worry if naturals are too "easy" to take. Seems to be a difficult thing to get just right ...

changelog added to the map description...

greetings, vara

Level 2
A decent melee map. I haven’t played the map in-game, but just viewed it using the World Editor.

Not really a reviewer, but I’d say this is a good start for me to give a comment.

Level 29
Hello there

Review:
-Green creep looting a permanent level 2 is a bit too much, and because is near base a permanent level 1 is more ok. Perma level 2 is for level 10-13 orange creep aprox. you have the green creep orge warrior loting a permanent level 2 and you have an orange creep the trolls level 10 near tavern looting a perma level 1, I sugest switch.
-If a goldmine is defended with an orange and other with a red, the goldmine defended with red should have more gold (a red defends something more important than an orange)
-You used the power up level 2 x3 times, is ok in the red creep, but there is a chance of glitch, two tomes of experience is = level up, and is very unbalance for competitive melee when that occurs by luck. Sugestion : for orange put the 3 books manually leave the power up level 2 random for red creeps.
-There are some gaps between trees and doodads, not tha many but like 5-6, always check path with P
-Since there are goblin shops, humans can land in those small island and build cannon towers that may hit the land, maybe add blockers
-Critters rule for competitive melee play: add them near creeps that not leave corpse, that balance the undead necromancer skill against ghost, skeletons, golems, banshee, air units. Don´t use them for decoration since gives advantage to the necromancers.

Rating 5/5 , I like your map, it can be improved, but is very atractive and solid in the basics. good design, tested and I have not agro.

Last edited by a moderator: