• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

~, Unnamed RPG '~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Untitled-1.jpg

Hey guys, long time no see! :pal:

I have begun working on Unnamed RPG again, as many of the game's fans want it back, and I am feeling creative again.

I'd like to go into a bit of detail on the game for those who have never heard of it or tried it... (and I'll try to get some new screen shots soon)

OVERVIEW / FEATURES

- There are a variety of classes, some very cliche and others being a bit less common than normal for ORPG maps. These include Guardian, Crusader, Minstrel, Creature Handler, Ranger, Arcanist, Shadowknight, and Assassin.

- Each class has 11 unique abilities, most being scripted, which scale with your level as you progress. You gain a new ability at 5 level increments (5/10/15/etc), and every 10 levels after you gain a spell, it unlocks additional power/bonuses to it besides the regular scaling. Many abilities are based off your character's attributes, meaning different attribute specs will have a direct increase on your performance, and allow for greater diversity.

- A one-of-its-kind item system. Each class has proficiencies, allowing it to use certain types of armor and weapons. When you attempt to pick up an item, the game checks 1] if you are proficient (able to equip that kind of item), 2] if you are already wearing that kind of item-class (helmet, weapon, etc), 3] if you meet the level requirements for the item, 4] is the item already soulbound to someone? If you can get past those 4 checks, then you will be able to use the item. Items have very detailed tooltips to allow you to look before you leap. ;)

- The game is based off of the feel of an open-ended massively multiplayer online role playing game (mmorpg) - It incorporates certain elements from many different popular mmorpg games to date.

- Notice how I said open-ended up there? That is the reason for how and why the terrain seems so open. It is NOT linear and will never be designed that way. Forests are open, not a maze of trees that twist and wind, forcing you to go a certain way.

- I have put a huge amount of attention to detail into the game. Each quest has an actual story and dialog, and the main quest line has an actual plot. The attempt is to immerse the player into the world and the story, like any good game should.

- The game has a realistic feel to it. This means that you are not able to see your allies' vision, or have full vision of the map besides what is in your immediate area. The game uses a chat system similar to the ones found in games like Defiance (this may be changed at a later date pending more comments). While you are not able to see your allies' vision directly, there are commands in game that can ping the location of your allies to give you a general feel for where they are.

- Instances/dungeons are completely scripted, and often provide unique and challenging boss fights. I am still debating whether to stick to regular mmorpg looting (bosses will always drop some kind of rare item, but it is random which it will be) or if I want to go the "loot room" way.

- QUESTS. If you want to simply grind your heart out, you can. However, a huge focus of this game is the quests. There is a main quest storyline that leads through the entire game, currently over 15 quests long at the moment. There are also dozens of optional quests to do. All of these have rewards such as gold, items, and reputation. The system is completely made in JASS, and every person gets their own quest log with up to 5 quests at a time. All quests are unique to a player, however, killing quest mobs will provide credit to everyone that has the quest and is in the area - Teamwork is often a good idea!

- The game is polished. You will scarcely find any typos, glitches, exploits, or anything of the sort, which is pretty remarkable for being in an open beta "updated as you go" sort of game. The UI is clean, the in game Manual is easy to use should you take the time to look it over, and everything works.

KNOWN CONCERNS/ISSUES

- The terrain. As you can see from the posts up top, people had been hating on the terrain job. I will explain this again -- Until I get a broad terrain layout done of the entire map, I am not going to cram it with alot of detail on the terrain so as to not hit a premature size limit. First comes the meat of the game, then the graphics. In addition, if you really love the tight, blocked in, feel of most ORPG's, you aren't going to find that here. It is an open world, able to be freely explored in all areas.

- Balancing. This is the real biggy for the time being. Some classes are very weak, while some are overpowered. Balancing 8 classes with 11 abilities and special roles each is, well, it's not going to be done in a day. All I will say is that any class IS playable right now, and though some might have it a little better off than others, all are competent for now. There will be a major class balance review coming with Publish III, which is being worked on at the moment. Play whatever class sounds suited to you, and know that when the class balance comes, you will already be ahead of the game with your character.

CHECK IT OUT FOR YOURSELF!

unnamedmapIII.jpg

ss2.jpg

ss3.jpg

ss5.jpg

ss1.jpg

ss4.jpg

ss7.jpg

Before you post a comment based on the screenshots or whatever, I'd really advise you try the map and see if it's your cup of tea. I will tell you right now, the game is going to cater to the more mature players who have a shred more intelligence and patience than the typical WC3 players these days (eg: "omfg i died *leaves*"). It is designed to be very similar to a mmorpg and as such you will need skill and time to develop your character.

The official website for the map, which contains links to the forums, the latest version, and the latest news on the game can be found at:

Unnamed RPG

So check it out, leave comments here, the game's website/blog, the game's forums, or feel free to send me a message on Bnet (the_big_s@USWest).

If you read all of this, thank you for your time, and I hope you'll try the game out and be impressed. I've put my all into it! :infl_thumbs_up:

- S

Last edited:
Level 6
I played this RPG many times, it's pretty nice and fun, but... only two areas and one instance is sad =\

Level 4
Thanks for the comment.

We actually got a full house together and vigorously tested *ahem played* Unnamed RPG Publish III (it has about half of the third zone's quests, as well as the new instance, The Arena) and we only found a few bugs.

I should have Publish III v1.1 out in just a few hours with all the hotfixes and optimizations, so be on the look out for that. Also, on the website, I have a gallery of images up now! :)

Level 6
I have to say, this RPG is very good. I just played it for about an hour, but what impressed me was the difficulty and the polished feel of it. I really like the simpleness of it and how easy it was to pick up. I can tell it would be fun with more people. Obviously the whole thing isn't complete yet, but I would really love to see it all finished. The only thing I can really complain on is the terrain, and even that is way better than most. It just needs more hills, mounds and dips and I think it would be better, oh and some more doodads. Good job and keep up the work.

Level 4
Thanks for the comments guys. I'll see what I can do about some screenshots here, maybe even some youtube videos of gameplay.

I've never prided myself on being a good or even great terrainer, but I just tried to make it feel like an actual forest. As for the doodads, I'm trying to keep every place relatively sparce, as I'm already at about a fourth of the limit on 'em. When I get every place terrained, then I can work on making everywhere beautiful. :p

Level 4
Hehe well originally I just had it called "Unnamed" because I hadn't thought of a good name for it...However, eventually I just decided to keep it hehe. It's easy to say, no egotistical names in it, no flashy stuff like you said, no leet speak....it has a certain mysterious sounding to it.

Level 4
Thanks for the comment :)

As I said, I know the terrain isn't gorgeous, but for now I'm keeping it simple like it is and focusing more on the gameplay -- That's where the fun is! :) I should have the latest version out later this morning (2 am here atm).

Level 4
This was so far back I don't know whether to classify it as a long time content bump or a necro o_O.

Anyway, the game has been much improved over the last time I posted here; lots of new features, and right now I've been working on the "meat and bones" of the classes, with an update specifically for each class' full skillset along with gameplay fixes/bugs, and a few additions.

Also, one of the (my favorite at least) changes I implimented for this upcoming version was a third-person camera. Now, it doesn't use the arrowkeys for movement, but rather to rotate the camera smoothly to a view you like, whether it is real close behind your character, or to the right above him, or whatever. I must say though, that with this camera as an option (you are never forced to play in a certain camera mode) the game looks both larger and more stunning.

If you'd like to see some of the beauty of the map from this perspective, check out this Photobucket gallery of 23 images taken by a player of Unnamed RPG. Note that he did turn his environmental fog off because he likes a darker contrast when he plays:

Pictures by undynesoul - Photobucket

I also have a YouTube video of a raid in the game. This was before the boss was custom scripted so it appears a "tank 'n spank" in this movie. [For some ghetto reason, you need to click at around :05 seconds in on the trackbar or else the movie will just stop at around :02 in.]

YouTube - Unnamed RPG - Raid 1

-----

The game is getting better and more unique every day, so if you haven't tried it yet, now is as good a time as ever. Additionally if you want to follow the project more closely, or just really like the game, feel free to sign up on our community forums which can be accessed from Unnamed RPG!

Status
Not open for further replies.