• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Units Damage

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Introduction
When setting the damage of a unit, there are three values which makes peoples mad cause they don't understand. Or atleast I didn't understand them when I started making maps. These three values are called: Base Damage, Number of Dice and Sides per Die.

Example one
If you want to set the damage of a unit, let's say we want to set the damage to:
Minimum Damage: 5
Maximum Damage: 50

Then you will need to edit the Base Damage, Number of Dice and the Sides per Die.
The values will be:
Damage Base = 4
Damage Number of Dice = 1
Damage Sides per Die = 45

There are always different ways of setting the damage. You can also do this:
Damage Base = 0
Damage Number of Dice = 5
Damage Sides per Die = 10

This gives the same result as the first example.

The formula
Minimum Damage = Damage Base + Damage Number of Dice
Maximum Damage = Damage Base + (Damage Number of Dice x Damage Sides per Die)

Note
I am not exactely sure what the Number of Dice do, but letting it be 1 all the time will not hurt you.
If your World Editor can't set the damage to a value high enough, use World Editor Unlimited, you can get it in the Download Section.

Level 1
Number of Dice determines the number of hypothetical die. In order to incorporate this feature, one uses the formula:

Maximum Damage = Base Damage + (Sides per Die x Number of Die)

and

Minimum Damage = Base Damage + Number of Die

Level 5
Its pretty easy, base damage is damage without dice.
Number of dice is the number of dice that will be thrown, and sides per dice are the number of sides each dice will have. Number of dice can be used for not lineair damage lines. For example throwing with 2 six-sided dices have a small chance on a 2 or a 12 but a big chance on 7. 3 eight-sided dices have a small change on 3 or 24 but a big chance of throwing 10 or 11.
Which can be used to have a random damage around a certain amount. (damn math terms in dutch are different from english)

Level 7
Did you ever played D&D?
Well it don't really matter but if you did you may be sure to know that there are Dice with more or less than 6 faces.
Now the equation as I see it:

Damage = (Damage Base) + (Number of Dice*Sides per Dice)
Sides per Die = Random(Number of Face)

So... If I do that:

Damage Base = 49
Number of Dice = 1
Sides per Die = 6
My damage will be 50-55

Damage Base = 95
Number of Dice = 5
Sides per Die = 11
My damage will be 100-150

Damage Base = 24
Number of Dice = 1
Sides per Die = 1
My damage will be 25-25

You understand?

Level 20
Hello. I'm sorry for necroposting.
I'd like to deeper explore the formula of damage in warcraft 3 because it seems I didn't get it quite enough.
I was going to update my campaign and rework some damage stats.
I was testing around with a couple of units. They are the same unit but one deals double the damage stats of the other.

Original
Damage Base = 4
Number of Dice = 2
Sides per Die = 4
My damage will be 6-12

Doubled
Damage Base = 10
Number of Dice = 2
Sides per Die = 7
My damage will be 12-24

While testing it out, though, I found out that the one with increased damage seems to inflict way more damage than expected. Is it because of the Damage Base of 10? Because I found out that the same final number may come by different data imput.
For example this
Damage Base = 8
Number of Dice = 4
Sides per Die = 4
My damage will still be 12-24

I was watching the latest @Jayborino playthrough video about my Wc2 remake and I found out that Balistas with 1 upgrade can mow down a Cannon Tower in 3, maybe 2 shots. I can't frankly recall if it was the same in the original game. Seemed such only with a full 2 times upgrade.
If that's the case then how can I exactly calculate and recreate the same damage of the original Warcraft 2 units into Warcraft 3? This has always been an aspect which I kinda overlooked, because all I originally did in Warcraft 1 was to test "how many hits it takes with unit X to kill unit Y" and so on. Something which I did too during Warcraft 2 remake development. But what if I can improve that even more?
At this time I feel I haven't really understood how Warcraft 3 damage system works.