• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Unit max?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
I dont mean the pop cap. But what is the actual max amount of units on map?

Reason: Trying to make a dwarf fortress styled map, If theres a unit cap then project is going down the drain.

Note: Units only have 6 polies

Level 11
It depends from computer. My laptop lags if you create 100 units in second, while my desktop
can handle over 5000 units in seconds without lags.

PS. Why do you have to make 9k walls? Thats little too much?

I've tested the map and the first problem was that the starting area was in the out of bounds area, strange though when the fatal error came up that there was litruly nothing on the dialog! after moving the starting position i tested again and the fatal error came up with 'Not enough storage is avaliable to process this comans' so oviously after moving the starting point there is to many processes happening at once. If yo want me to over look the map properly just ask me to if you have problems.

lol its just simple your creating to many units in a short looping time. I dont see why you need that many "stones" so just reduce how many spawn because creating units does create a slight lag and youve created heaps! even when i changed the event for creating stones to every 10 seconds there is a slight lag and when more spawned the lag got worse (even though you fixed leaks xD). So if you realy need to spawn that mant units make a dlight delay indetween each one is created! That is the only problem to untis being made at once xD

edit: if my note pad cant handle it dont do it xD.

Level 7
hmm, i just made a junk trigger, my thoughts, it's in your trigger, i just did a trigger that spawned 100 of those units a second and it tells me my computer can take 6000units with a lag and 7800 untill freeze but still no error...............im gonna keep looking at it though....

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Although there is no real limit to the number of units. More than 100 per player is impractical.

The WC3 pathing system only can update the mini movements of 30-60 units a second odd per player and the mini moves generally are sort or interupted by a unit collision. This means that if you move 1000 units only 30 or less are moving at any time. The result is unplayable streams of units going very slowly everywhere around the map which is very bad map making.

SC2 does allow for fluid movement of hundreds of units but 1000s cause unplayable performance.

Level 12
Thanks DSG, but I still would like to know what is causing the crash; Thats why I thought there was a unit max. Im using these blocks as units because its easier to trigger and I can add several passive abillities to them. E.G (Reduce Damage to 1) So that these walls would behave like normal cavern walls.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
"ERROR NOT ENOUGH MEMORY SADFACE CRASH!"
Not enough memory errors only have 1 cause.

The program was unable to allocate the memory which it requires.

This is limited to 4 GB, or less in reality.
Creating units may cause a memory spike. Even if it drops to under 1 GB after it is done, it is possible that in the mean time it could exceede the maximum allocatable memory for the program and thus cause an out of memory crash.

Level 12
Not enough memory errors only have 1 cause.

The program was unable to allocate the memory which it requires.

This is limited to 4 GB, or less in reality.
Creating units may cause a memory spike. Even if it drops to under 1 GB after it is done, it is possible that in the mean time it could exceede the maximum allocatable memory for the program and thus cause an out of memory crash.

I've tried spawning it once every 20 seconds, still the same crash. It seems to happen when > 11*34 walls are created

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
WC3 was crashing for me when under 300 MB... I have seen WC3 reach 500 MB in some large RPGS and more in leaky maps. There is no way it can be out of memory so my only guess is that some system in the game allocates itself a finite amount of memeory after which it will crash even though it could continue working if it was able to allocate itself more memory.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
map object = 2 bytes of RAM
If only... That would be awesome. I could then fit google onto my phone and my Xbox could run SC2.

A single integer is 4 bytes (32 bits). The handle ID for an object on the map alone is 1 integer. The unit health and mana are floats of some kind so thats atleast 32 bits each. Armor likewise. Let us not forget movement speed.

By the time you sum all those, you will notice that each object is in the order of 100s of bytes atleast. A unit may infact be kilobytes as it has animation data as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.