• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • ✅ The POLL for Hive's Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Vote for the TOP 3 SKINS! 🔗Click here to cast your vote!

unit limit exists?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 37
Yes, there is some kind of limit, it is not set to stone however.

I added ~600 footmen (=109 food) into a map and ordered them to move simultaneously. I experienced no lag or other issues. However older, less powerfult computers might have problem with that.

I know that if an AI player has too many units (over 100) then the pathing algorithm starts to fail.

Yes, there is some kind of limit, it is not set to stone however.

I added ~600 footmen (=109 food) into a map and ordered them to move simultaneously. I experienced no lag or other issues. However older, less powerfult computers might have problem with that.

I know that if an AI player has too many units (over 100) then the pathing algorithm starts to fail.

once I made a game with leak clean but had massive ammount of units, the game lagged till it crushed , wanted to know if its the reason, thanks.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The limit is somewhere between 20,000 and 40,000 past which the game will crash with a memory allocation error (not dependant on amount of RAM system has).

They will not cause performance issues as long as they are ont all carrying out expensive opperations such as attacking. A situation where units will lag is if you have 200 odd units in range of 200 odd allied units and you go hostile with that player and vica versa as the targeting routein is quite computationally expensive.

Level 23
Having more than 4000 Units on a map is bad in any way.
Not even does it cause lag, but the Engine also cant handle the orders that quickly, not can players.
Also there occur some graphic errors if too many Units are on map and near to each other.
As long as your whole map isnt full of small units you shouldnt have to worry about a limit.

Having more than 4000 Units on a map is bad in any way.
Not even does it cause lag, but the Engine also cant handle the orders that quickly, not can players.
Also there occur some graphic errors if too many Units are on map and near to each other.
As long as your whole map isnt full of small units you shouldnt have to worry about a limit.

My map has 4000 units but I changed it - each time player enter a sector I summon 100 enemy units - one by one and adds timer to the unit death, so there wont be more than 100 units on the same time, and they all ordered to attack, when I did it , i had no more lag / crush ishue.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
comming to think of it... 50 necro (100 upkeep) that can raise 2*2*50 skeletons in 2 casts for 12 players involved will couse (50+2*2*50)*12 units which is 250*12 =3000 without netural units, conclution: DONT PLAY 12 players ONLY UD!!!.

If you assume they stop mining resources and decide to camp around large numbers of graveyards. They can also raise skeltons more than once.

The fact is though that no one will ever reach that so the game is not designed for those levels.

If you assume they stop mining resources and decide to camp around large numbers of graveyards. They can also raise skeltons more than once.

The fact is though that no one will ever reach that so the game is not designed for those levels.

in other words - when you play in 12 players of ud and about to lose - tell everyone to make Hero crypt lord and mass skeletons / beetles, since u lose anyway who cares if it crushes.:goblin_boom:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
It will not crash as the limit is near about 20000-40000. You will be long dead before you can crash the game if you can ever crash the game. Frame rate might start to be a problem though but that is totally unrelated.

It is like in SC2 in a 12 player match (SC2 supports these) having everyone 200 out carriers and going into a free for all. The engine will handle it fine but performance will be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.