• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Unit Attack Range: Melee change text

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello!

My problem is that I can't find a way to change the text Melee or Ranged in the Attack Description of a Unit to other text like Range: CloseCombat or else. I wasn't been able to find it in Advanced>Game Interface and to Google it for weeks now, all I found is people asking how to change the attack range of units. If someone couldn't understand my question because of my bad English I uploaded a picture that can help.

Damage.jpg

Level 28
Yes, you can do this by importing a custom file.
Since you may be using different Game Interface-values, I recommend you extract your war3mapSkin.txt first.

To do this, you must first get an MPQ Editor (Recommended).
With that tool, open the MPQ-file of your map (open the tool, click "Open MPQ and select your map).
A list of files will appear, in that list there should be a "war3mapSkin.txt". Open that file.

Search for the text "[FrameDef]" and place this right under it:
Code:
MELEE="Close Combat"
If there isn't already a category "[FrameDef]", then place it in there yourself (at the top of the file should work just fine).
Then it should look like this:
Code:
[FrameDef]
MELEE="Close Combat"

Save the file, close the MPQ editor and open the World Editor.
Open your map, go to the Import Manager and import the text-file ("war3mapSkin.txt").
Change the path so it is exactly "war3mapSkin.txt", nothing else.
Save the map and you're done.

Seems like a lot of work, but it's really easy.
I also recommend you get the file attached in this post, it contains way more stuff that you can change and has a little tutorial (it's not complete as there are more files you can import, but it'll do for now).

Edit: oh, the tutorial in that file says you need to create a new text-file. The best option is actually to extract it from your map and work with that one, so disregard that :).
And make sure there are no spaces in it, except for in the strings (so you can do "sp a a a a ce", but not "VALUE = "1"", it should be "VALUE="1"".

Status
Not open for further replies.