• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Acquisition Range changing Attack Range?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hi guys, I'm having a bit of an issue.

My ranged creeps have an Acquisition Range of 100 and an Attack Range of 500. This means the creeps won't chase people 500 units away, but will attack them at that distance should they be aggro'd. Weeks ago, this actually worked and there were no problems to fix about it.

Now, all of a sudden, my ranged creeps have a melee Attack Range and I quickly figured out it was Acquisition Range because it's the only Range set at 100. If I change my Acquisition Range to 500, they will again attack at a range of 500 units but also acquire targets at a range of 500 units.

Pretty frustrating. Even more so because I'm not an experienced WE user. I checked all of my triggers and none of them trigger with creeps besides my respawner, and the respawner doesn't touch any of the stats of creeps, only saving their position, where they're facing, and successfully respawning them after 30 seconds.

Does anyone know why this is happening? I could just set Acquisition Range to 500, but that means I'll have to reposition them and there's little room to do so.

Level 13
You can change a unit's acquisition range via triggers, so what you should do:
  1. Set your units attack range to 500 in the editor.
  2. Set its acqusition range to 500+ in the editor.
  3. Make a trigger. When it spawns/enters the map, set its acquisition range 100.
The unit will retain its 500 attack range, but will only acquire targets within 100 range. Many maps use this trick to stop long-ranged units from auto-attacking things automatically.

Do note that a human player can make this unit attack with a range of 500 if they order it manually (i.e with A or right-click).

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Weeks ago, this actually worked and there were no problems to fix about it.
It never worked. WC3 does not work like that.
Does anyone know why this is happening?
That is how WC3 works.

I suggest using pick-a-chew's work around. Give them 500 acquisition range and then use triggers to lower to 100 at map initialization/respawn.

Status
Not open for further replies.