• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Unique cast points/backswings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
I found issue with WC3's cast system.
apparently Blizzard's decided to optimize a bit and, instead of calling GetUnitCastpoint() everytime unit starts spell casting, they cache value somewhere inside spell's structure. Thats mean spell will keep this value until removed from hero.

Example: I created MyHero's dummy hero unit with all the same stats but backswing = 0.00. When player first time learns spell i want to remove backswing from, I do remove ability from unit, morph unit to dummy, add ability back, unmorph him back. Voila - now MyHero can use spell and wont suffer of backswing. Works for cast point as well.

Funny enough, its also affects unit's coloring if dummy has different settings there.

This thing will be tested, but i wonder, if someone already had experience with such abuses (morphing forth and back in order to derive some unit data into another)? Is there any side effect?

Level 12
Can you move the items to a different dummy unit before morphing and then move them back at the end? What other side effects happen from morphing heroes?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
As people mentioned, Chaos is broken and re-applies all modifications (items, tomes, stats etc) when it occurs. Other morphs are not so buggy.

Chaos was only ever meant to be used in the campaign (Chaos Orcs you use for a mission) and for some special unit (not hero) once-off morphs (Siege Engine?).

Status
Not open for further replies.