• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Defense / Survival] Burning Skies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Burning Skies

Story
"After Arthas and Kel'thuzad manages to defeat Antonidas and stole the Book of Medivh, they prepared to summon Archimonde, but the Kirin Tor will not give up without a fight, so Arthas decides to protect Kel'thuzad while he breaks the chains between both worlds to summon the Demon Lord."

Unique Features
[1] Dalaran-ish Terrain
[2] More Variation of Troops for Both Sides
[3] Different Scales of Difficulty
[4] Additional Quests
[5] New Skills and Heroes
[6] 3 Players Gameplay
[7] Endless Mode, show your best abilities to fulfill the task from the great Lord Archimonde

Play-style
Same as original, the duration however, can be chosen by the player in the highest slot in slot order (from P4 to P5 to P6), same as difficulty.
Easy, Normal, and Hard Difficulty are now altered to fit the 3 player system.
There's also an Endless Mode to test your talent, care to survive for hours against the human resistance and keep defending Kel'thuzad?

On Progress
[1] New Atmosphere (Better Models, Better Icons, etc)
[2] New Resources
[3] New Heroes for Humans
[4] More Human and Undead Units
[5] QWER | ASDF | ZXCV Hotkey System

Undead AI Notes
[1] AI isn't really well made at the moment
[2] AI won't be much of help exceeding 30-45 minutes, they're mostly crippled by then
[3] AI don't use Heroes to Max, they did use them for bolstering defenses however.

I'm looking for someone who's willing enough to make a Jass scripted AI to improve the AI overall performance, while they don't have to cheat for money for doing their tasks.

Screenshot
"Let the images do the talks"

143508d1424333382-under-burning-sky-remake-war3-2015-02-19-21-01-39-40.jpg

143509d1424333382-under-burning-sky-remake-war3-2015-02-19-21-16-19-92.jpg

143510d1424333382-under-burning-sky-remake-war3-2015-02-19-21-16-24-31.jpg

143511d1424333382-under-burning-sky-remake-war3-2015-02-19-21-16-28-60.jpg

DOWNLOAD LATEST VERSION
Alpha 0.2.0

Last edited:
Level 30
It's really good to see you posting your project right now here.

Anyway, I once tested this map of yours and gave you some feedbacks. I really do hope this improved from the last I tested it and I also edited your post fixing some grammar errors, 2-4 errors if I may say.

Let's see how this project will turn out after some time...

Good luck and hope to see this map on the Map Sections soon enough.

Well... 60 Minutes!... oh.. but for me its ok since after i played this once i won't play this again..

But if you want this to be replayable... man 60 minutes is not a JOKE...

Let me ask you, is Gaia Retaliation is playable and finished with 45 minutes? Same for Sunken City.

If you want, I'll give an option to choose duration, as a plus, I can add no time limit this way.

Nice idea on remaking it. It's the best map on the campaign for me actually and
I hope this is better to make me play it and enjoy it.

Nice project tho. +rep.

Thanks, I'll keep up my work, pretty much still fixing on the terrain, will talk to Hell_Master if it's better than the last.

Wow! Good luck, and if you need some Dalaran stuff, like units, skin or until doodads, i may can help :)

Thanks a lot! I'll tell you via VM if I need them.

-------------------------

Everyone, thanks for the support!

Level 30
Since the time frame is quite long as what neo said, I would suggest placing some Special Events in those time. Like if 25 minutes passed, make enemies harder or add some stronger enemies then 50 minutes, a great Human Boss will spawn together with an army of strong human units.

It would make the game much more interesting and different but still maintaining the Blizzard quality in it. I would not prefer as a changes of making all things to custom for it removes the genuine feel in it.

But an option for the time frame would be great too.

That'll be my suggestion.

Alpha 1

Project Necromancy!

Well, after some self testing and help from some members from Garena (before they remove LAN), I manage to present an alpha edition of the map.

Be warned that there's an annoying lag sometimes, still attempting to resolve it.

You may open it in World Editor, but try to use UMSWE to be safe, because the map uses it to allow buildings to be placed.

Attachments

• Undead08R.w3x
    614.9 KB · Views: 277
Alpha 2

This new update features :
Virus Injection Upgrade, Rampage enemies with your Disease Cloud turning them into mindless zombies!
Also added new experimental Endless Mode, which is VERY difficult in Hard and quite challenging in Easy. So prepare yourself for the challenge!

What I expect from the update :
More Gameplay Experience
More Balanced Gameplay

Currently, for testers I need you to report :
Balance Issues
Bugs

also, I would like you to show your Endless Record for the [HALL OF FAME] (Replays Required).

Attachments

• Undead08R.w3x
    628 KB · Views: 348
Level 7
Look nice!
Actually, I can't complete 2p version of this (the remake by The Spoon) with my Cousin....(which makes my Cousin almost quit Warcraft 3...)

Yrk

Yrk

Level 6
Nice, I really love the idea, remaking it. Looking forward for the full release.

Level 7
Can I give suggestion?
If AI can't use hero, Can player use it temporary until you updated it? (until AI can use heroes)

Level 11
Well, here's my short review!

Sylvie's Short Review
Map: Under the Burning Sky Remake
Type: Defense/Survival
Author: Daffa the Mage
I really liked the changes you made in the terrain, now it fells like we are inside the city, instead of be in the outside.
The parachute thing was really creative, I personally liked this, it makes the map kinda of unique and enjoyable.
The portal in that lake was a nice idea, and I also liked the fact that the units will spam more and more from there, and it start to spam two units after a certain time. Great work!
The AI is good, and the heroes are great, both models and stats, one thing that bothers me is the fact that Arthas is still the same, maybe you could give him some kinda of custom ability?
Also, the units have better models, I liked it, but I think that the footman could use some work, make it more "dalaran-ish", maybe a tabard would work, I don't know...
Also, might be a good idead to rename some of the human heroes, put the member of The Six in this, it would make some lore sense, I think.
Well, there's no much to say, the changes that you made are all great, and you can still change some things, but this is an anpha version anyway.
4/5, vote for Approval

Thanks for the review! Though the link in the tabard doesn't work(?), anyway, I'm glad that you enjoy it! Also, I'll consider reading the lore again and insert The Six for hero names, as well planning to replace their ability to add more horrorchallenge for players.

Also, I intend to replace Arthas abilities, but I don't wanna to use DotA's skill set as a base, I'll think of new spells for him.

Level 23
I'm not really good with review, but I really liked the map, just think that the waves should be more difficult, I was holding in the hard mode just with my hero (Norn) then I got a bit tired, and attack the humans, I kill them all just with the hero and his raise dead, yeah, the 3 bases. lol. Also, that research that when a unit dies become zombie, should not work with buildings. For Nurn model, uses Kel'thuzad living model, the one has hero glow.

But overall, I liked! Good job! xD

The Kel'thuzad Lich Model?
Anyway, I'm thinking Norn needs a big nerf, his skills kinda overpowers compared to the rest of the team, even Falric's Ultimate isn't a big pain compared to his spammable powers, main reason why I discard Necromancer for his forces.

I'll fix the Virus Infection issue.
I'll let easy and normal be, but I'm sure I'll nerf Hard to the skies for the limited time duration (and I intend to make the time selectable, from short to a long one), endless simple, you stall them like no tomorrow for big records, I'll also modify the buildings to become invulnerable in endless to make them unfinishable.

EDIT :
I manages to make some changes for the difficulties, mostly now Endless isn't the same as the original, as Endless is intended to be "survive as long as you can" while Original is more like "survive till the end or wipe them out" game style. Hard difficulty (not the endless) also modified to offers a better challenge, mainly in crippling Necromancer/Norn + Skeleton rush and higher the troops powers, making defenders have harder times in defending. I hope this can satisfied for those who are hunger for challenge (90 minute + hard, are you brave enough?)
Norn now uses a new model, which is Kel'thuzad as a Necromancer.
I gave option for survival time, from 15 to 90 minutes, go try your skills (and of course, the final rush always triggers).

Expect updates around this weekend, hopefully.

Last edited:
Level 23
Did played this, and I must say its a Great remake though it is still in the alpha stage. I played it only in easy mode (yeah, I did). The terrain was a bit empty, don't you think? And the virus infection was kinda overpowered,I managed to clean how many human bases because of that virus infection. I played as Arthas. And it's great. Maybe add custom spells for him too? Anyway ill give it 4/5. Keep it up! And Good luck! :D

I have lowered the Virus Injection upgrade a lot, it was kinda high because it was for a last resort, but I discover that you can access it like in the first 5 minutes if you're fast enough. For the terrain, I though of it too, but I'm pretty bad myself with terrains. I made new spells for Arthas in the next release.

Though I improve many aspect of this game, the main concern is still Balance, it's very difficult to make all sides have equal level of enemies to their potential of armies, not to mention some specific exclusion for each side of defenders. I know it's a cooperation survival map but sometime I feel balance is WAY of, I would like to see how I can make it as balanced as possible while keep creating unique units for each champion.

Here's the new version!

CHANGELOG :
MAJOR FIX : Player 10 (Paradrops and Footman Rush) are now attacking Kel'thuzad
Modifies Virus Injection (reduces minimal health from 200 to 25)
Improves Hard Mode significantly
Improves Easy and Normal Modes by a little bit
Fix Endless Mode to become truly Endless
Destruction Shield [Falric] Mana Cost increased from 100 to 200
Added Skeleton Hall
Increase Summon Skeleton [Norn] Cooldown from 9/7.2/6.48 to 15/13.5/12.15
Reduces Cursed Staff [Norn] Mana Bonus from 10/20/30 to 1/2/3 per attack
Increases Cursed Staff [Norn] Health Bonus from 0.01/0.02/0.03% to 1/2/3% of Norn's Health
Increase Falric and Norn start level from 7 to 8
Fixed Norn and Falric Spell X/Y Position
Death Coil [Arthas] can be used on self
Death Pact [Arthas] is removed and replaced with a buffing skill named Empower the Scourge [Arthas]
Death Coil [Arthas] heal (damage) value changed from 200/400/600 (100/200/300) to 250/500/1000 (125/250/500), mana cost from 75/75/75 to 75/82/90, cooldown from 6/6/6 to 6/7/8 seconds and cast range 800/800/800 to 800/900/1000
Soul Hunger [Arthas] now adds additional 5 health and mana, fixed tooltip description to explain the effects more properly
Increased SideQuest GoblinLandMine Timer from 30 second to 120 second to trigger
Changes Reinforcement Arrival duration to fit each timer value to arrive at different times to allow maximum reinforcement usage in each timer value
Improves the timer, now it begans after the opening cinematic ends
Fix the Fel Stalker Demon Gate Purchase
Increase Generator Health from 1000 to 1500
Increase Portal Health from 400 to 1750
Corruption Strike [Falric] now adds extra max health of 1/2/3 per attack

Due to the new units and some changes to the spells, I hope for some feedback concerning balance.
I'll plan to replace some models, I need a good Footman and Knight models to reflect more dalaran/kirin tor element.

Attachments

• Undead08R.w3x
    639 KB · Views: 175
Level 6
After a test I run last night, it seems Easy Mode is too easy (though I think it's fine) with two AI. And I notice Falric's Max health can get over 3K with level 1/2 Power of the Scourge. Also,the ending cinematic still bugged like hell.

I'll prepare for an update soon.

Uh... Hard (endless) mode also too easy with those over powered AI and those
too (sorry)
weak enemy. I just standing there watching my tactic work.

It was easy enough? I'll take that into my notes for the next release. Forget that AI was so over powered because they're buffed to compromise their lack of ability to properly defend themselves naturally. And the endless has no rush, but I'm thinking of inserting more powerful attack waves to Endless Mode to compensate for it.
Anyway, what did you think about the other modes, I was hoping the timed Hard was really that hard.

Alright, some Screenshot for people to look at :)
Version 0.1.1 is coming soon! :)

EDIT :
I have been thinking, should I rename the map? If so, any recommendations?

EDIT 2 :
So, I have spiked the challenge in Endless Modes in all difficulty, maybe a little too much, and weakens Undead AI (means it's more likely to overrun sooner than later.
Also, I found some quite annoying bugs, mainly with Hotkeys, I might go directly into the QWER (AZER for French Keyboard, which will be available as separated download, unless there's a way to detect language of Warcraft).

Attachments

• war3 2015-02-19 21-01-39-40.jpg
    war3 2015-02-19 21-01-39-40.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 949
  • war3 2015-02-19 21-16-19-92.jpg
    war3 2015-02-19 21-16-19-92.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 883
  • war3 2015-02-19 21-16-24-31.jpg
    war3 2015-02-19 21-16-24-31.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 968
  • war3 2015-02-19 21-16-28-60.jpg
    war3 2015-02-19 21-16-28-60.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 946
Last edited:
Level 7
@New Name:
Maybe just add something on it like:

-Under the New Burning Sky
-Under the Burning Sky: INFERNO

Anything like that...

@New Name:
Maybe just add something on it like:

-Under the New Burning Sky
-Under the Burning Sky: INFERNO

Anything like that...

Well, I think it's kinda similar to the old name, but it's a nice one :)
Especially the latter, I might consider it =)

Anyway, I haven't found any major bugs except the ending cinematic Archimonde is bugged up, else everything seems okay, anyone spots something major in Version 0.1.0?

Update - version 0.1.1

MAJOR FIX : Endless Mode now run opening cinematic properly, also no longer spawns reinforcement during cinematic
MAJOR FIX : Hopefully for real, fixed Archimonde during the appearance when summoned, where he was moving to an odd direction for some reason
MAJOR FIX : Hotkeys for Hero Spell are now QWERT based
Endless Mode reinforcement now comes on 5, 10, 15, and 30 minutes of the game
Fixed the Ending Cinematic
Wave of Death Coil now has proper debuff
Corruption Strike [Falric] now increases max health upon deathblow and increased from 1/2/3 to 5/5/5
Cursed Staff [Norn] now increases max mana per attack by 1/2/3
Added Skeleton Warrior as trained unit in Skeleton Hall
Skeleton Hall now provides 15 foods from 11 foods, and health reduced from 600 to 575
Hasten the rush timer from (e/n/i) 150/150/300 to 200/200/400
Weakens Hard Difficulty Riflemans
Added 1 Skeleton Champion on Falric's Initial Base
Rename Dalaran Ambush to Dalaran Defenders
Added 1 Barrack for Dalaran Defenders
Increase Endless Handicap Bonus from 2.5/2.5/2.5% to 3/4/5% (e/n/i)
Fixed Norn's Mana Bonus from his Cursed Staff ability
Changed Norn's Icon
Creates a dummy ability to show Corruption Strike effects
Weakens Undead AI
Added Skeletal Mage to Skeleton Hall
Skeleton Warriors from Skeleton Hall no longer cost food
Fixed several minor errors with Virus Injection
Improves Rush Paradrop for Easy and Normal
Weakens Rush Paradrop for Hard
Add more Barracks for spawning

Attachments

• Undead08R.w3x