• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ultimate Skyrim Theory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
So as you may or may not know Bethesda have announced that they're releasing an HD remake of Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. This has caused some outrage as people would rather see a remake of Morrowind or Oblivion, that however is not the topic for today, today I'll attempt to make the ultimate Skyrim theory to explain the truth behind all that's happening in Skyrim and what will happen after the game. First things first how did the dragonborn happen to be in such a convenient location as Helgen at the appearance of Alduin and how did our hero come to be a dragonborn? As for the later question how is a dragonborn formed, as you can imagine there are some rather absurd theories out there.

Now something you need to understand about the dragons is that they don't reproduce in the same way as the animalia kingdom. Dragons are immortals or at least consider themselves to be and to some stretch that is correct. While a dragon can physically die their soul forever lives on, this is how Alduin can resurrect dragons to become exactly as they were prior to their death. Because while their bodies may have decomposed their soul forever remains intact unlike the soul of a mortal. This is also what makes the dragonborn the ultimate dragon slayer, the dovahkin (dragonborn or dragonchild) is able to infuse the souls of the fallen dragons into their own being. Now back to the point, how is a dragonborn formed? I would assume that a dragonborn is formed when a dragon infuses its soul into the soul of a mortal creating a hybrid of sorts. Now the question is, "but Razosh where would the dragon soul be coming from, weren't dragons extinct?" Just wait I'll get to that.

First we need to deal with the story of Skyrim, Skyrim has one of the darkest and most depressing endings of any video game I've ever seen. "Wait, what?" You're saying. "Isn't this game the story of a brave mortal who charges into the realm of Sovngarde, slays the world eater and saves the world?" To that I say that's the vanilla experience but if you've played the dragonborn DLC you will know that that's not the case. In the DLC the dovahkin gets assaulted by followers of the first dragonborn Miraak. This takes the dragonborn to the island of Soulsteim where the dragonborn finds out that Miraak has been imprisoned by the deadric lord Hermaeus Mora. You see Miraak once swore to serve the daedric lord and in exchange he was given a shout that would allow him to bend the will of dragons. Miraak a former dragon priest used his newfound powers to rebel against the dragons but found his rebellion to have a short end as the dragons assaulted his seat at Soulsteim and Miraak would certainly have died had not Hermaeus Mora rescued him and granted him and his dragons refugee within the deadric lords realm. This is where the story turns dark, in order to slay Miraak the dragonborn has to make a pact with Hermaeus Mora to learn the power to bend the wills of others in order to succeed in defeating Miraak. After the dragonborn defeats Miraak within the realm of the deadric lord Hermaeus Mora simply lets the dragonborn out into the real world. But wait, why would the deadric lord ever do such a thing, throughout the entire game we learn that Hermaeus Mora has an obsession with dragonborns as he sees them as the ultimate source of power and knowledge. He has spent an immense amount of time protecting Miraak so why would he just let all his work go to waste right before Miraak is able to step into the world of man again and carry out his masters will? (The exact year that the dragons fell is unknown but it is during the late Merethic Era so that means that Miraak hid away for at least 4 254 years. (This is assuming that Miraak was taken to the Deadric realm at the absolute last year of the Merethic Era, although he was probably in there for longer as 4 254 is just the absolute minimum.)) Why would anyone throw away more than 4 thousand years of work? The simple answer is he didn't. Even though it wasn't portrayed crystal clear in the games the dragonborn has made some pact with Hermaeus Mora and promises to always serve him.

Don't believe me? First of all we have Hermaeus Mora who says to the dragonborn "Miraak harbored thoughts of rebellion against me, learn from his mistakes and you will continue to be richly rewarded." Furthermore when you return to the Skaal on Soulsteim you are told that the presence of Hermaeus Mora is clear. And even more upon his death Miraak tells Hermaeus Mora "May he be rewarded as I was." Why would all these statements be made unless Hermaeus Mora really had influence over the dragonborn. And most importantly why would he let the dragonborn out of his realm was he not sure that he could control the dragonborn? Still not convinced? Upon meeting Hermaeus Mora for the first time he says "Well done, my champion. Your journey towards enlightenment has finally led you here, to my realm, as I knew it would. And now, I find you here, following in my servant Miraak's footsteps." Lets break down that quote first we have "my champion" as if Hermaeus Mora knows and always has known that the dragonborn would come to serve him. Second "your journey towards enlightenment has finally led you here, to my realm, as I knew it would." Once again he speaks as though this was all an elaborate plan of his not to mention that he says "as I knew it would" which pretty unmistakably means that this indeed always was a plan of the deadric lord. Lastly we have the statement that you now follow in "Miraak's footsteps." Hermaeus Mora clearly reveals not only that this has been his plan all along but that he plans to make the dragonborn into his new servant.

But now on to the question I posed in the beginning, how did the dragonborn become a dragonborn? As I said I believe that the soul of the mortal became fused with the soul of a dragon and hence created the dragonborn. But where would the dragonborn have come into contact with a dragons soul prior to the rise of Alduin? Miraak had taken several of his dragons with him into the realm of Hermaeus Mora and here's the big thing he had bent the will on all of them. Deadric lords are believed to have absolute power in within their own realm so Hermaeus Mora would easily have been able to bend the will of the dragons to that of his own. I believe that Hermaeus Mora made a deal with one of the dragons to be free from Miraak and in return become the harbinger of the deadric lord. (For some reason deadric lords don't like to take what they want but to trick people into doing what they want. That's why I'm assuming he made a deal and didn't force the dragon into anything.) After infusing the mortal with the soul of the dragon making the mortal into the dragonborn Hermaeus Mora started setting his plans into actions.

It is my belief that after the creation of the dragonborn Hermaeus Mora wanted the dragonborn to grow in power, but how could a dragonborn grow in power when there was no dragons? Simple, you unleash Alduin. "What?" You're asking "how could Hermaeus Mora possibly do that?" Lets take a look at what is said when Alduin is banished. "Hold, Alduin on the Wing! Sister Hawk, grant us your sacred breath to make this contract heard! Begone, World-Eater! By words with older bones than your own we break your perch on this age and send you out! You are banished! Alduin, we shout you out from all our endings unto the last! You are banished!" While the words "we break your perch on this age" does seem to indicate this only being a temporary solution nothing said links this with the return of Miraak, not to mention Miraak was already in the deadric realm when Alduin fell so it seems highly unlikely that he could in any way have affected the outcome. But you might say, maybe this was all a crazy coincidence of ludicrous proportions to which I will point to Arnegeir second in command of the greybeards, he says himself that the appearance of Alduin and a dragonborn at the same time is too much to be a coincidence and this is before Miraak is even added to the equation. What seems more likely, one, that even despite Bethesda outright acknowledging that this is too much to be a coincidence this is still all a crazy stroke of immense luck. Or two, that this was all the elaborate plan of something larger.

You might now say "alright I do believe that this is all part of something greater but how do I know that it's truly a deadric lord that's behind all these events and not some other force striding to be rid of all evil?" Well aside from the reasons I've already listed about the events on Soulsteim there is one final thread of information, in the original game you can receive a letter from a friend, these letters will keep coming despite whatever horrible deed you accomplish. You can join the Dark Brotherhood, kill Paarthurnax, assassinate the emperor, steal from children, kill innocents and much, much more and the letters just keep on coming. These letters reveal the locations of word walls where you can learn the secrets of the dragons so only someone with the knowledge of every word wall can send you there. But there's one HUGE thing that can't be overruled and that is the fact that this "friend" always needs to know when you're using shouts. And you can receive a letter about you using a shout in Azura's Star, the deadric realm. Who do we know that collects knowledge, who has acces to the Deadric realm and has followed the dragonborn all along. Only one Hermaeus Mora!

This brings me to the final piece of the puzzle, what will happen for the dragonborn in the future? The dragonborn is now under control of one of the most powerful deadric lords in time and whatever Hermaeus Mora has in store for the dragonborn we only know that it can't be good for the world of Tamriel. Who knows maybe the dragonborn will even be the villain of Elder Scrolls VI. This theory has been a blast to put together, so what do you think, is it the most logical solution, is there any flaw in my reasoning and is this a theory you like? Please post your opinion bellow.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
See, now I feel real bad; I've always wanted to be the Cool Guy with the Memes in the first post, but at what cost?...

You've typed an awful lot, and I respect that. Better, you've typed a lot about a subject your passionate about, trying to bring it to terms the layperson can understand, which is even better.

I love Skyrim & the whole "lore" thing they are building up behind the scenes, but to be honest it's always been a bit dense & difficult for me to get into. I wish I had right from the start, but c'est la vie.

I may get into it someday, but I just wanted to say "you're awexome".

I wouldn't put it past Hermaeus Mora to hatch a conspiracy of these proportions. It's an interesting link that you've created, and while there are some stretches here and there (like you say Hermaeus Mora created the Skyrim Dovahkiin by using the soul of one of Miraak's dragons), I quite like the overall theory you've constructed. This may or may not work depending on how Dragonborns come into existence, but seems pretty solid to me. We are told that the Thu'um was given to mortals by Paarthunax on Kyne's behalf and we also know that Dragonborns are able to master Thu'ums with little to no effort, so perhaps they do actually come into being when a dragon perishes - truly perishes. My guess is maybe Hermaeus Mora just took a dragon's soul from one of Miraak's dragons (or multiple souls, since the Last Dragonborn is so powerful) and implanted it into a mortal that he then manipulated to end up in Solstheim to kill Miraak and replace him as his servant.

Having the Dovahkiin as a villain in TES6 would be pretty cool.

Level 24
See, now I feel real bad;

Haha, no need to worry, you'll have to do far more than that to offend me. :D I'm just a jester, and a bad one at that. ;)

I love Skyrim & the whole "lore" thing they are building up behind the scenes, but to be honest it's always been a bit dense & difficult for me to get into. I wish I had right from the start, but c'est la vie.

I may get into it someday, but I just wanted to say "you're awexome".

Well thank you, that means a lot.

I wouldn't put it past Hermaeus Mora to hatch a conspiracy of these proportions.

Well he's the Deadric prince of knowledge.

It's an interesting link that you've created, and while there are some stretches here and there (like you say Hermaeus Mora created the Skyrim Dovahkiin by using the soul of one of Miraak's dragons),

Yeah, I agree with you, in the end I thought to myself "it makes the story better" so I kept it in. As the greybeards said however, the appearance of a dragonborn and Alduin at the same time is no coincidence, not to mention Miraak appearing again within such a short time after Alduin. I think it is wrong to assume that Hermaeus Mora had nothing to do with it all but he definitely manipulated some events it would seem. I've seen a few other quick theories on who could have put the events of the dragonborn into actions, the most likely I've seen aside from Hermaeus Mora would be Talos. It is possible that Alduin just happened to break free at this specific time, one of the gods (or all of them) decided to put the dragonborn on his/her path and sensing the presence of a strong dragonborn Hermaeus Mora decided to test the new dragonborn against his pet Miraak.

The second stretch I'd say that I did was the whole "a letter from a friend deal" in the end it was with most certainty just a gameplay feature that was never designed to be entangled with the lore at all, it's just my nature to find a lore explanation behind everything.

I quite like the overall theory you've constructed. This may or may not work depending on how Dragonborns come into existence, but seems pretty solid to me.

Well thank you, that's alway fun to hear. ^^

We are told that the Thu'um was given to mortals by Paarthunax on Kyne's behalf and we also know that Dragonborns are able to master Thu'ums with little to no effort, so perhaps they do actually come into being when a dragon perishes - truly perishes. My guess is maybe Hermaeus Mora just took a dragon's soul from one of Miraak's dragons (or multiple souls, since the Last Dragonborn is so powerful) and implanted it into a mortal that he then manipulated to end up in Solstheim to kill Miraak and replace him as his servant.

Yeah that was kind of my vibe too, Hermaeus Mora probably tricked the dragon to serve the deadric prince. (Seeing as that's how he likes to play.)

Having the Dovahkiin as a villain in TES6 would be pretty cool.

Yeah, it would be fun and turn everything players thought about the heroic dovahkin upside down. I do like plot twists, I like it when heroes are humanized and turned into villains, it shows that none are above irruption.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
and how did our hero come to be a dragonborn? As for the later question how is a dragonborn formed, as you can imagine there are some rather absurd theories out there.
As the in game lore clearly states Talos, the Dragon Born is formed by Akatosh bestowing dragon blood into a mortal. The reasons for this are varied and many but usually have to do with encouraging order or stopping destruction. For a long time the Septums were the only known Dragon Born who's job consisted entirely of ruling the Empire and keeping flames alight which kept the world from falling into Oblivion. Due to a plot they failed to do this resulting in a massive invasion from Oblivion. Eventually the last of the bloodline sacrificed themselves to channel Akatosh directly and stop the invasion.

The Dragon Born appearance in Skyrim was the result of an impending catastrophic "world ending" event. Akatosh planned the whole thing so that you would be there to stop Alduin, one of his dragon creations, from ending the world. The reality though is that the world has to come to an end eventually and that all you succeeded was buying more time as the dragon will eventually return and will destroy the world as he was planned to do so by Akatosh.

This is also what makes the dragonborn the ultimate dragon slayer, the dovahkin (dragonborn or dragonchild) is able to infuse the souls of the fallen dragons into their own being.
Actually all dragons can permanently kill each other and in doing so absorb each others souls. It is just that only dragons can, or those infused with the power of a dragon. In theory what happens is that the dragon is simply unmade, the inverse of how they were made in the first place.

This is explained by the lich dragon in the soul realm place thing who states that he choose Necromancy due to continuous dragon fights ultimately leading to nothing but death as one dragon absorbs the other. He became an undead dragon because he cannot be killed then, as was proved by the player as his soul cannot be absorbed and he returned after the fight.

Daedric gods probably also have the power to manipulate Dragon Souls. However they will mostly choose not to as they are inherently incompatible with their constitution, instead bestowing the power to mortals of their choosing.

Now back to the point, how is a dragonborn formed? I would assume that a dragonborn is formed when a dragon infuses its soul into the soul of a mortal creating a hybrid of sorts. Now the question is, "but Razosh where would the dragon soul be coming from, weren't dragons extinct?" Just wait I'll get to that.
It comes from the place all dragon souls came from. Another dragon and ultimately Akatosh. In fact it is usually Akatosh who creates the Dragon Born, and as he created the other dragons it is hardly a problem.

Why would anyone throw away more than 4 thousand years of work? The simple answer is he didn't. Even though it wasn't portrayed crystal clear in the games the dragonborn has made some pact with Hermaeus Mora and promises to always serve him.
Because Mirak was a fake, and not a dragon born? It was only thanks to Hermaeus Mora in the first place that he could gain power from other dragons. Additionally Hermaeus Mora is a daedric god so is in some ways similar to a dragon.

Why would all these statements be made unless Hermaeus Mora really had influence over the dragonborn
Dadric gods have influence over mortals. This is how the Dragon Born can end up being the champion of all Dadric Gods. They only take interest in "special" mortals, which is why they all will accept the Dragon Born as a champion because he is inherently "special".

But now on to the question I posed in the beginning, how did the dragonborn become a dragonborn? As I said I believe that the soul of the mortal became fused with the soul of a dragon and hence created the dragonborn.
Akatosh imbued the power, probably on creation of the person. For all practical purposes the dragon born is a dragon, just in a mortal body as opposed to immortal body. The only reason one probably cannot transform into a full blown dragon (like happened in Oblivion) is that the dragon mechanic in the game is so poorly implemented and clunky it would be impossible to control. Instead you can adorn a set of enhanced dragon armor using the one shout Dragon Aspect which does not need special controls and show how badly dragons are implemented.

It is my belief that after the creation of the dragonborn Hermaeus Mora wanted the dragonborn to grow in power, but how could a dragonborn grow in power when there was no dragons? Simple, you unleash Alduin.
Alduin was banished to the "end of time", where he would be required to fulfil his destiny and destroy the world. He never stopped existing, he just instantly teleported in time to exist at the "end of time", which turns out to not be entirely what Akatosh wanted and hence he created a Dragon Born to fight for the mortals in a chance to change the outcome of the event.

Hermaeus Mora, being a daedric god, looks for champions. The Dragon Born was the obvious choice, seeing how all Daedric gods have no problem accepting him as their champion. Daaedric gods are not good or evil, they are just bound to do whatever it is they do. They commonly interact with Mortals, often to cause chaos or mischief due to their inherent purposes, however they do see the Dragon Born as someone worthy of that little something extra due to him being above all other mortals.

You can join the Dark Brotherhood, kill Paarthurnax, assassinate the emperor, steal from children, kill innocents and much, much more and the letters just keep on coming.
Game play mechanics. Stops spoiler free plays from being impossible.

what will happen for the dragonborn in the future?
He dies. He is mortal.

Who knows maybe the dragonborn will even be the villain of Elder Scrolls VI. This theory has been a blast to put together, so what do you think, is it the most logical solution, is there any flaw in my reasoning and is this a theory you like? Please post your opinion bellow.
He will long be dead by then. His power comes from being a mortal, so if he was to become immortal he would be a lot weaker and suffer the exact problems the lesser dragons do.

On a lesser note the entire "kill Paarthurnax" thing was likely added just so players can kill lots of dragons. It makes absolutely no sense otherwise.

Level 24
As the in game lore clearly states Talos, the Dragon Born is formed by Akatosh bestowing dragon blood into a mortal. The reasons for this are varied and many but usually have to do with encouraging order or stopping destruction. For a long time the Septums were the only known Dragon Born who's job consisted entirely of ruling the Empire and keeping flames alight which kept the world from falling into Oblivion. Due to a plot they failed to do this resulting in a massive invasion from Oblivion. Eventually the last of the bloodline sacrificed themselves to channel Akatosh directly and stop the invasion.

The Dragon Born appearance in Skyrim was the result of an impending catastrophic "world ending" event. Akatosh planned the whole thing so that you would be there to stop Alduin, one of his dragon creations, from ending the world. The reality though is that the world has to come to an end eventually and that all you succeeded was buying more time as the dragon will eventually return and will destroy the world as he was planned to do so by Akatosh.

Well I didn't go into depth about explaining the dragonborns "birth" seeing as the post was already getting rather long and if I were to go in depth about every side story that could contribute then the post would probably have gotten three times as big and kept a very low level of relevance to the main topic. And as for the statement "as you can imagine there are some rather absurd theories out there." I did that mainly to set up the "mature content" video, I mean I couldn't have a thread without a joke or two in it, heads would roll.

And your statement "Akatosh planned the whole thing so that you would be there to stop Alduin, one of his dragon creations" is kind of over-shadowed by this:

As High Priest of the Akatosh Chantry, I have dedicated my life to the service of the Great Dragon. He who was first at the Beginning. He who is greatest and most powerful of all the Divines. He who is the very embodiment of infinity.

I am, quite obviously, a man of deep and unwavering faith. But not blind faith, for I am also a man of scholarly endeavors, and have always valued education and the pursuit of truth, in all its forms. And so, I have had the honor and privilege of making it my life's work to discover the truth about Akatosh, in all of our beloved Divine's incarnations.

Throughout the civilized world (and I refer not only to the Empire, but to every nation on great Nirn that has embraced the virtues of learning and letters), the Great Dragon is worshipped. Usually, the highest of Divines is referred to as Akatosh. But what some may not be aware of is that he is occasionally referred to by two other names as well.

The Aldmer refer to Akatosh as Auri-El. The Nords call him Alduin. These names come up repeatedly in certain ancient texts, and in each one, it is clear that the deity in question is none other than he whom we call Akatosh.

Yet there are those who believe, even in this enlightened age, that this is not so. That the regional interpretations of Akatosh are not interpretations of Akatosh at all. Rather, they are references to altogether different deities, deities who may or may not share the same aspects or be the Great Dragon at all.

Many Altmer of Summerset Isle worship Auri-El, who is the soul of Anui-El, who in turn is the soul of Anu the Everything. But if you ask the high elves themselves (as I did, when I traveled to Summerset Isle to continue my research), the majority will concede that Auri-El is but Akatosh with a different name, colored by their own cultural beliefs.

So maybe it comes as no surprise that the real theological dissention lies in Skyrim, among the Nord people - renowned as much for their stubbornness as they are their hardiness and prowess on the fields of valor. When I journeyed to the stark white province, I was surprised to find a people whoe views on Akatosh are almost diametrically opposed to those of the Altmer. The majority of Nord people seem to believe that their Alduin of legend is not Akatosh, but another deity entirely. A great dragon, yes, but not the Great Dragon.

Determined to get to the deart of this matter, I consulted with several Nords, chief among them an old and respected clan chief by the name of Bjorn Much-Bloodied. And what surprised me most about those I talked to was not that they believed in Alduin instead of Akatosh, but that they recognized Alduin in addition to Akatosh. In fact, most children of Skyrim seem to view Akatosh in much the same way I do - he is, in fact, the Great Dragon. First among the Divines, preserverance personified and, more than anything, a force of supreme good in the world.

Alduin, they claim, is something altogether different.

Whether or not he is actually a deity remains in question, but the Alduin of Nord folklore is in fact a dragon, but one so ancient, and so powerful, he was dubbed the "World Eater," and some accounts even have him devouring the souls of the dead to maintain his own power. Other stories revolve around Alduin acting as some sort of dragon king, uniting the other dragons in a war against mankind, until he was eventually defeated at the hands of one or more brave heroes.

It is hard to deny that such legends are compelling. But as both High Priest and scholar, I am forced to ask the most important of questions - where is the evidence?

The Nords of Skyrim place a high value on their oral traditions, but such is the core of their unreliability. A rumor passed around the Wayrest market square can change so dramatically in the course of a few simple hours, that by the end of the day, one might believe half the city's residents were involved in any number of scandalous activities. How then is an educated, enlightened person possibly supposed to believe a legend that has been passed down, by word of mouth only, for hundreds, or even thousands of years?

The answer to such a question is simple - he cannot.

And so, it is my conclusion that the Alduin of Nord legend is in fact mighty Akatosh, whose story grew twisted and deformed through centuries of retelling and embellishment. Through no real fault of their own, the primitive peoples of Skyrim failed to understand the goodness and greatness of the Great Dragon, and it was this lack of understanding that formed the basis of what became, ironically, their most impressive creative achievement - "Alduin," the World Eater, phantom of bedtime stories and justification for ancient (if imagined) deeds.

And that texts is as far as we've seen is only really disputed by this:

As my da used to say - Imperials are idiutts!

That is why I am riting this book. I ent never rote a book before, and I do not reckon to rite one agenn, but sometimes a man must do what a man must do. And what I must do is set the recerd strate about the god called Akatosh and the dragon called Alduin. They ent the same thing, no matter what them Imperials mite say, or how thay mite wish it to be so.

My da was never one for the gods, but my mother was. She wershipped all the Divines, and tot me lots of things. So I noe a thing or two about Akatosh. Just as much as any Imperial. I noe he was the first of all the gods to take shape in the Beginning Place. And I noe he has the shape of a dragon.

My da even told me the story of Martyn Septim, and the things what happened when the gates to Oblivion opened. Septim turned into the spirit of Akatosh and killed Mehrunes Dagon. Now I don't noe about you, but any dragon that fites the Prince of Destruction is okay by me.

Now I hope you understand the problim. Akatosh is good. Everyone, from Nord to Imperial noes that. But Alduin? He ent good! He's the oposit of good! That Alduin is evil thrue and thrue. So you see, Akatosh and Alduin cant be one and the same.

Growing up as a lad in Skyrim, I herd all the stories. Told to me by me da, who was told by his da, who was told by his da, and so on. And one of those stories was about Alduin. But see, he was not Akatosh. He was another dragon and a real wun at that.

Akatosh is some kind of spirit dragon I think, wen he bothers to be a dragon at all (and not a god livin in sum kind of god plac like Obliviun). But Alduin is a real dragon, with flesh and teeth and a mean streak longer than the White River. And there was a time when Alduin tried to rool over all of Skyrim with his other dragons. In the end, it took sum mitey strong heroes to finally kill Alduin and be dun with his holy sorry story. So I got to ask - does that sound like Akatosh to you? No, friend. No it does not.

And so I, Thromgar Iron-Head do firmly say, with the utmost connvicshun, that Alduin is real, and he ent Akatosh!

Now, whether or not Alduin and Akatosh are really one and the same, we will never know, they may be, they may not be.

Actually all dragons can permanently kill each other and in doing so absorb each others souls. It is just that only dragons can, or those infused with the power of a dragon. In theory what happens is that the dragon is simply unmade, the inverse of how they were made in the first place.

This is explained by the lich dragon in the soul realm place thing who states that he choose Necromancy due to continuous dragon fights ultimately leading to nothing but death as one dragon absorbs the other. He became an undead dragon because he cannot be killed then, as was proved by the player as his soul cannot be absorbed and he returned after the fight.

I'm starting to get the feeling that you're not really trying to desspute my theory but rather add to it as I've never said anything to dispute that dragons can absorb the souls of one another, I just said that the dragonborn is able to do it.

Daedric gods probably also have the power to manipulate Dragon Souls. However they will mostly choose not to as they are inherently incompatible with their constitution, instead bestowing the power to mortals of their choosing.

For all other Deadric lords I would say that this statement is with most certainty true, with Hermaeus Mora however one can never know, he's quite an odd one even by Deadric standards. He on top of that has several dragons locked up inside his domains and seeing how he loves to "experiment" and find knowledge I wouldn't put it past him.

It comes from the place all dragon souls came from. Another dragon and ultimately Akatosh. In fact it is usually Akatosh who creates the Dragon Born, and as he created the other dragons it is hardly a problem.

Well that fact has been disputed a lot and even though many if not most people state that Akatosh gifts mortals with the power of a dovah I've still not found a single reliable source claiming that is the case.

But lets say for arguments sake that I am wrong and that Akatosh made the dragonborn, which is a real possibility. Even if that is true, that still leaves a lot of unanswered question such as why did Miraak apear just now? Isn't it rather convenient that both vanished at least 4 254years ago and then both re-appeared within 1 year of one another?

You could question or disprove certain parts of my theory but that doesn't force the whole thing to come crumbling down. It is only reasonable that some parts be wrong as I did make a few stretches here and there.

Because Mirak was a fake, and not a dragon born? It was only thanks to Hermaeus Mora in the first place that he could gain power from other dragons. Additionally Hermaeus Mora is a daedric god so is in some ways similar to a dragon.

Was he a fake? He was most certainly taught at least one shout by Hermaeus Mora that however does not make him into a fake. He is also able to absorb the soul of a dragon, as can clearly be seen on Soulsteim. And to quote yourself: "It is just that only dragons can, or those infused with the power of a dragon." This makes Hermaeus Mora into a dragonborn regardless of whom blessed him. ;)

Dadric gods have influence over mortals. This is how the Dragon Born can end up being the champion of all Dadric Gods. They only take interest in "special" mortals, which is why they all will accept the Dragon Born as a champion because he is inherently "special".

Yes, but I argued that Hermaeus Mora had a deeper level of influence over the dragonborn, higher than that which is "normal".

Alduin was banished to the "end of time", where he would be required to fulfil his destiny and destroy the world. He never stopped existing, he just instantly teleported in time to exist at the "end of time", which turns out to not be entirely what Akatosh wanted and hence he created a Dragon Born to fight for the mortals in a chance to change the outcome of the event.

You do make some really solid points and you make them more clear than need be as you've posted several points about 4 or 5 times now. :D Anyhow as I said you have some solid points and if you can share with me a solid source that states that the dragonborn was created by Akatosh then that would alter my theory a bit, though not break it. It would simply mean that Akatosh probably knew the dragonborn would become a servant of Hermaeus Mora but made the dragonborn anyhow as he saw that as preferable to letting Alduin devour the world.

Hermaeus Mora, being a daedric god, looks for champions. The Dragon Born was the obvious choice, seeing how all Daedric gods have no problem accepting him as their champion. Daaedric gods are not good or evil, they are just bound to do whatever it is they do. They commonly interact with Mortals, often to cause chaos or mischief due to their inherent purposes, however they do see the Dragon Born as someone worthy of that little something extra due to him being above all other mortals.

Only with Hermaeus Mora it is a bit bigger than just a passing fancy. Once again he kept Miraak for at the absolute minimum 4 254 years. He certainly has a grander scheme that does involve the dragonborn.

Game play mechanics. Stops spoiler free plays from being impossible.

Yep, as I said, it most likely is just a gameplay mechanic that I'm reading too much into. I just included it a bit more like a fun bit to try to find a lore reason behind everything. Still if we were to assume that every single aspect of the game that was not confirmed by the devs to be canon lore never existed than that would rule out pretty much everything. I haven't made an in depth research on every character but I'd say most characters in the game such as Aela, Ysolda or Jorlund Graymane have probably none ever been confirmed to be canon hence they never existed.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying that the letters and the existence of Aela are the same thing I'm just saying that even though it is most likely just a game mechanic don't see it as carved in stone that it is. It most likely is, but it's not for certain.

He dies. He is mortal.

He will long be dead by then. His power comes from being a mortal, so if he was to become immortal he would be a lot weaker and suffer the exact problems the lesser dragons do.

You mean like Miraak died of old age? Seeing as Miraak was at least, what 4,300 years old I wouldn't put it past the dragonborn to still be alive for quite some time.

Not to mention Miraak wasn't exactly a push over, we're debating someone with the power to bend the will of dragons.

On a lesser note the entire "kill Paarthurnax" thing was likely added just so players can kill lots of dragons. It makes absolutely no sense otherwise.

Or it could be to give players the sense of choosing the path of their character. Seeing as dragons are spawning in endless numbers you view seems, according to me at least, less likely.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
And your statement "Akatosh planned the whole thing so that you would be there to stop Alduin, one of his dragon creations" is kind of over-shadowed by this:
The avatar of Akatosh is a flaming dragon of sorts. This was shown in Oblivion during the fight with Dagon where the Dragon Born (the last of the Septium bloodline) transformed.

Alduin is the world eater. He exists to end the world so it can be created anew. The problem was that he decided against that and instead seized power over the world for him and all his created kin. This was in direct conflict with his purpose, and as such a Dragon Born was created (how the blades started) to fight him. The problem was that they only managed to banish Alduin to the "end of time" which ultimately is the time period when Skyrim takes place. Once again a Dragon Born was created to stop/change this as it was not the time for the world to end. Alduin is defeated with him being banished only temporarily. He will ultimately return to fulfil his destiny and unmake the world (as opposed to trying to seize control of it).

such as why did Miraak apear just now
Due to reappearance of Alduin and the Dragon Flight. There were only 1-2 dragon souls left to absorb/control before as opposed to the broken game mechanics of infinite souls.

Was he a fake? He was most certainly taught at least one shout by Hermaeus Mora that however does not make him into a fake. He is also able to absorb the soul of a dragon, as can clearly be seen on Soulsteim. And to quote yourself: "It is just that only dragons can, or those infused with the power of a dragon." This makes Hermaeus Mora into a dragonborn regardless of whom blessed him.
Hermaeus Mora is a Daedric god, as I mentioned they are very similar to dragons in that they are immortal and have purposes and were created by divine beings. All it would need is for him to bestow enough power to Mirak and he could absorb the souls, especially since the only Dragon souls that can be absorbed are nothing more than lesser dragons. Souls like Alduin cannot be absorbed and instead are sent away to eventually reconstitute like the souls of Daedric Gods.

Yes, but I argued that Hermaeus Mora had a deeper level of influence over the dragonborn, higher than that which is "normal".
Only due to the DLC. If they added DLC for other Daedric Gods the same could be said about them.

Only with Hermaeus Mora it is a bit bigger than just a passing fancy. Once again he kept Miraak for at the absolute minimum 4 254 years. He certainly has a grander scheme that does involve the dragonborn.
So do all Daedric Gods. Just most of them have no need at the Skyrim point of time for the Dragon Born. They all can be made to claim that the Dragon Born is their champion. Hermaeus Mora is only special because they made a DLC that revolves around him which padded out the interactions. This is similar to Oblivion where you had extensive interaction with Dagon (main story) and the god of Order/Madness (DLC).

Miraak was inherently immortal and very powerful before Hermaeus Mora interacted with him. This is because Miraak was a Dragon Priest, similar to the dozen odd Dragon Priest you have to destroy. The Dragon Born is not inherently immortal as he is not a Dragon Priest/Lich.

You mean like Miraak died of old age? Seeing as Miraak was at least, what 4,300 years old I wouldn't put it past the dragonborn to still be alive for quite some time.
He was alive for the same reason all Dragon Priests were still alive as he was originally a Dragon Priest. Hence why he was chosen by Hermaeus Mora because he was more special than anyone else at the time (but not as special as the Dragon Born at the time of Skyrim).

Or it could be to give players the sense of choosing the path of their character. Seeing as dragons are spawning in endless numbers you view seems, according to me at least, less likely.
The reality is that the Blades are meant to serve the Dragon Born. Instead they bitch at you and refuse to follow you unless you do it. Let us not forget that by doing it you are also following the destructive path of the Dragons, which is a huge oxymoron and the whole reason the grey beards exist.

Combine it with the fact that the only missions Blades offer are dragon killing it is pretty obvious. It was only added so you can kill more dragons. Which fits in line with the entire poorly implemented and clunky dragon mechanics in the game. If anything there should have been a counter mission where you abolish the Blades as obsolete. However I guess most people just like killing more dragons so they could not be bothered. Worse is they keep most Blade people essential so you cannot even murder them for being traitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.