• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ubuntu SWAP Partition screwed up my HDD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
Well, I once installed Ubuntu on my netbook. In the installation process, I've set my SWAP partition to 7 GB (Hell, I have 156 GB HDD) (I had no idea what that is!). After (I've got tired of Ubuntu) I put the Windows 7 Installation Stick into my netbook I formatted the HDD and I have noticed that the (only) partition I made has 149 GB of space. I have installed Windows 7 that way and ever since then I have tried anything I could think of to get back those 7 GB. (No, they're not much of a deal BUT STILL!)

Can anyone, please, help me?

I am also trying to install Ubuntu (desktop edition this time) again on my netbook (Windows Installer) and I booted it ONCE only. Second time, the Windows Boot Manager didn't even ask me for an OS to boot. I have tried to make another drive for Ubuntu (18 GB space, 17GB for Ubuntu), but I cannot do ANYTHING with my HDD! Every operation I do fails! (Acronis Disk Director)
(It worked here - on my Desktop!)

Please, tell me what to do!

A booted HDD wiping? - Preferably if there's no other way.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
You will need some prefessional tool that runs outside the opperating system to alter the partitions. Something windows fails at is providing you with decent maintence tools.

The cheapest way I can think of to get the 7 GB back would be to completly clean install the OS and when doing so delete all partitions and merge them into one. If you plan on using other opperating systems you should leave space unallocated for them as reallocating allocated space is very time consuming and not without its problems (data must be moved etc).

Level 21
You will need some prefessional tool that runs outside the opperating system to alter the partitions. Something windows fails at is providing you with decent maintence tools.

The cheapest way I can think of to get the 7 GB back would be to completly clean install the OS and when doing so delete all partitions and merge them into one. If you plan on using other opperating systems you should leave space unallocated for them as reallocating allocated space is very time consuming and not without its problems (data must be moved etc).

I must disagree about windows' maintenance tools. Windows 7 provides the best.

So, for "cheapest" - I'm not going to pay anything just to fix that anyway. I'd rather write my own HDD-wiper to fix that.

So putting a Ubuntu stick inside the netbook will let me format the HDD, including the SWAP partition?

you would need to clear the linux partition I guess...

but beware:

ubuntu creates a file in the computer which tells it where the linux file is, now if the computer cannot find that, somehow it could cause your computer to be unbootable... (happened to me when I installed it onto an external HDD, my comp wont boot if the external HDD isnt connected even if I have windows installed on the comp)

Level 21
you would need to clear the linux partition I guess...

but beware:

ubuntu creates a file in the computer which tells it where the linux file is, now if the computer cannot find that, somehow it could cause your computer to be unbootable... (happened to me when I installed it onto an external HDD, my comp wont boot if the external HDD isnt connected even if I have windows installed on the comp)

As a matter of fact, after a fatal kernel error on Ubuntu, my HDD was no longer bootable. The Caps Lock and Scroll Lock buttons kept flasing and the processor LED was not flickering (which means no processing).
That's why I have installed Windows.

You know... I'd get a 16GB Stick to put Ubuntu on it... It would be the ideal place to keep it... (Surprisingly, I can boot from USB! xD)

So, any way to fix this without erasing my current OS?
I have 60 GB of (network shared/common) data on my netbook that I cannot move anywhere else, and I really need it!

Shall I mention that my netbook cannot read CDs/DVDs? So I have to move the data from my phone memory card, insert the Ubuntu ISO files in it, write my boot sector and all that crap that I'd rather not go trough again?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
You should be able to atleast save your files via linux. I heard there are programs that let linux read windows formated partitions and thus you woulc be able to retreive crutial data off your system. As for fixing it without a reinstall, try googling it as I am sure you are not the only person who suffered from this. Infact there is bound to be dedicated sites out there with people who know everything about linux and who will probably be able to tell you exactly why it is unbootable and how to fix it.

Level 14
If you have an ubuntu cd you can boot into it and use it's tool called gparted which is the very best partitioning tool I've ever used, in it you can just remove the swap partition and then change the size on the windows partiton. If you don't have an ubuntu cd you can burn a gparted live cd (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php)

I can sadly not help you on your second issue, I had the same issue before. I encourage you in the future to just dualboot as installing ubuntu in windows is supposedly slower.

Last edited:
Level 21
If you have an ubuntu cd you can boot into it and use it's tool called gparted which is the very best partitioning tool I've ever used, in it you can just remove the swap partition and then change the size on the windows partiton. If you don't have an ubuntu cd you can burn a gparted live cd (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php)

I can sadly not help you on your second issue, I had the same issue before. I encourage you in the future to just dualboot as installing ubuntu in windows is supposedly slower.

Well I pointed out two posts above that my (generally, a) netbook does not have an optical drive! Additionally, the only other storage media I own which is big enough to hold Ubuntu is my phone's memory card (w/ USB Adapter).

So, to "boot" it I need to do the following:
  • Back up the current files.
  • Format the media.
  • Copy the Ubuntu files in the new drive w/ FAT32 FS. (Slow...)
  • Write a boot sector.
  • LALALA
  • Remove the files.
  • Remove the boot sector.
  • Restore my files.
  • And, because I have a goddamn fucked up phone, re-write my settings for most programs so that it stores, again, in the removable memory, and restore my background and the sounds.
I'd rather not...

I have an extra question:
What is network boot? Can I boot a HDD in my network? (Cable or Wireless?)
If so, I might solve a problem!

Anyway, I'll try the memory card...

Edit: The very best partitioning tool is Acronis Disk Director. You'll fall in love with it!

Level 14
Well I pointed out two posts above that my (generally, a) netbook does not have an optical drive! Additionally, the only other storage media I own which is big enough to hold Ubuntu is my phone's memory card (w/ USB Adapter).

So, to "boot" it I need to do the following:
  • Back up the current files.
  • Format the media.
  • Copy the Ubuntu files in the new drive w/ FAT32 FS. (Slow...)
  • Write a boot sector.
  • LALALA
  • Remove the files.
  • Remove the boot sector.
  • Restore my files.
  • And, because I have a goddamn fucked up phone, re-write my settings for most programs so that it stores, again, in the removable memory, and restore my background and the sounds.
I'd rather not...

I have an extra question:
What is network boot? Can I boot a HDD in my network? (Cable or Wireless?)
If so, I might solve a problem!

Anyway, I'll try the memory card...

Edit: The very best partitioning tool is Acronis Disk Director. You'll fall in love with it!

If I were you then I'd buy a usb and burn ubuntu on it and boot that way (assuming you atleast have a usb port).

About netbooting... http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Netbooting+ubuntu, it looked rather confusing.

Level 21
If I were you then I'd buy a usb and burn ubuntu on it and boot that way (assuming you atleast have a usb port).

About netbooting... http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Netbooting+ubuntu, it looked rather confusing.

Let me tell you a secret: I DID Google it!
Everything I have found was Windows 2000 related.

Well, I'd but a stick but at the moment I do not have any money at all...

Burn the Ubuntu 10.10 DVD. Boot it. Use the live OS to backup your data. Use GParted to erase all of your hdds data (this will take long).

There really is no other way. You simply can't install any other OS without knowing what you do.

Ubuntu is great, way better then windows! You have a lot of tools. And btw, its Windows that fucks up your hdd! It is unable to create a second bootmanager entry and its totally bad at doing partition stuff. I used windows for 14 years now (from 95 to win7 (still using it)) and linux for 4 years now.

If you can't buy a stick or a HDD drive for 90€, you can always ask a friend.
Last but not least, you could lease one.

Either way, I really highly recommend to erase all data after saving your backup files.
After that, you install Windows7 clean. Please notice that once you installed windows 7, you have to repear the boot manager if you install ubuntu after. You can do this alone or get help at ubuntuforums.org.

Good luck.

Level 21
Burn the Ubuntu 10.10 DVD. Boot it. Use the live OS to backup your data. Use GParted to erase all of your hdds data (this will take long).

There really is no other way. You simply can't install any other OS without knowing what you do.

Ubuntu is great, way better then windows! You have a lot of tools. And btw, its Windows that fucks up your hdd! It is unable to create a second bootmanager entry and its totally bad at doing partition stuff. I used windows for 14 years now (from 95 to win7 (still using it)) and linux for 4 years now.

If you can't buy a stick or a HDD drive for 90€, you can always ask a friend.
Last but not least, you could lease one.

Either way, I really highly recommend to erase all data after saving your backup files.
After that, you install Windows7 clean. Please notice that once you installed windows 7, you have to repear the boot manager if you install ubuntu after. You can do this alone or get help at ubuntuforums.org.

Good luck.

That's what I am doing... I am just having some difficulties booting from an adapter...
BTW, I am using Ubuntu too at the moment and I must tell you that each of the OSes has pros and cons. It is not fair to say "Ubuntu is better than Windows". I use Ubuntu to print/scan documents, because my printer has no driver for Windows 7. I also use Ubuntu to move the windows around (I <3 the effect! xD). Ubuntu cannot even render Flash properly (Including YouTube!). This is a MUST for today's computer users and I am one of them.
I must also remind you that Linux cannot run programs like WindowsNT (kernel, not OS) or Macintosh OS. Linux just integrates them in the OS.
So, if you cannot find a program in the Ubuntu Software Center, you cannot run it.
Now, who seems to be better? :ogre_icwydt:

BTW, I am using Ubuntu too at the moment and I must tell you that each of the OSes has pros and cons.
True.

It is not fair to say "Ubuntu is better than Windows". I use Ubuntu to print/scan documents, because my printer has no driver for Windows 7.
Yeah, and programming and gaming for me.

Ubuntu cannot even render Flash properly (Including YouTube!). This is a MUST for today's computer users and I am one of them.
Of course, the flash issue is adobes fault, not linux one. But somes intelligent people have written a flash addon that solves most issues. You can install it from the software center. Just look for flash.

I must also remind you that Linux cannot run programs like WindowsNT (kernel, not OS) or Macintosh OS.
It can run WindowsNT. However, it can't run MacOS. Remember: Windows and Mac both CAN NOT run other OS programs. So point for linux.

So, if you cannot find a program in the Ubuntu Software Center, you cannot run it.
Wrong. I got a lot of windows programs to work by emulating them into wine. And if you still need trouble, you can ask a great community for help.

Now, who seems to be better?
Windows is faster with gaming (however, wc3, cs and bioshock run smooth on linux too).

Level 21
It can run WindowsNT. However, it can't run MacOS. Remember: Windows and Mac both CAN NOT run other OS programs. So point for linux.

Wrong. I got a lot of windows programs to work by emulating them into wine. And if you still need trouble, you can ask a great community for help.

I meant Linux programs.

Wine just interprets WinNTx86 bytecode.

And about Linux tools, it's not true. Windows doesn't come with that many programs installed but most developers these days target for Windows, so most tools are, again, for Windows.

Except JNGP I got everything to work on ubuntu until yet.

They just target to windows because most users are to lazy to change their OS into something good. I am a big windows 7 fan, believe me, but still linux should be more supported.

And by the way, linux already has many programs, and I mean really much. It is just that the common programs you work with are mostly windows programs.

But you can even use those. In fact, I saw people using Adobe Suite, playing Bioshock 2, playing Starcraft 2 and managing their iPod (like I am) with ubuntu already.

Lets face it: No matter how you see it, linux is comming. The safety has proven that for servers its a must-have today. Its just a matter of time when private users need the safety they don't have with windows.

Level 21
Lets face it: No matter how you see it, linux is comming. The safety has proven that for servers its a must-have today. Its just a matter of time when private users need the safety they don't have with windows.

Here's the catch: If one doesn't act like a minge and downloads everything he/she sees, he/she will be safe.
The irony is that you don't have programs to download on Linux. :xxd:
I am running Windows (7) without an antivirus and I don't have any security issues, because I am careful about what I am doing. (I run periodic online scans to check for viruses too.)

Do you know Bill Gate's dream? "A computer in every house and every office running Microsoft software."
The man's dream came true for a reason. :wink:

Linux will never keep up with Microsoft in the PC line.
Windows will never keep up with Linux in the server line. (on safety, more precisely)
Macintosh will never keep up with any of them. :xxd:

Still, even the World Wide Web Consortium uses Windows servers. :grin:

What do you use Ubuntu for, anyway?
My Ubuntu is basically a 17.4 GB printer driver. :eekani:

Here's the catch: If one doesn't act like a minge and downloads everything he/she sees, he/she will be safe.
The irony is that you don't have programs to download on Linux.
46.000 programs that are up-to-date, free and fully supported by an world-wide-open-cummunity are nothing? Wow.

You would not have the money in your whole life which you would need to buy those programs if it would be windows. And all of them work pretty good.

I am running Windows (7) without an antivirus and I don't have any security issues, because I am careful about what I am doing. (I run periodic online scans to check for viruses too.)
Same for me.

Do you know Bill Gate's dream? "A computer in every house and every office running Microsoft software."
The man's dream came true for a reason.
Yes, because he stole an idea from linux. Good job.

Linux will never keep up with Microsoft in the PC line.
Just wait.

Still, even the World Wide Web Consortium uses Windows servers.
That does not mean that windows is better, but easier for beginners.

What do you use Ubuntu for, anyway?
My Ubuntu is basically a 17.4 GB printer driver.
Managing my 450gb files (movies, songs, documents), my games (which all work on linux until yet) (Except JNGP >.<), my printers, basically I do everything with linux right now, except buying stuff on iTunes, which I do in the iTunes App or in the emulated windows7. As soon as iTunes10 is fixed for linux (which people are working on) I will not use windows anymore if I don't have to.

Lets face it once again: Linux is world-wide-open and has an active community with hundreds of thousands of users.

Windows is closed and is developed by a team of 50 programms. Now tell me, which will take longer, to make Windows able to run all linux stuff or other way around?

Level 21
Windows is closed and is developed by a team of 50 programms. Now tell me, which will take longer, to make Windows able to run all linux stuff or other way around?

Windows is not closed and the development team has much more programmers.
And Windows doesn't have to be able to run Linux programs, because for every Linux program, there's an equivalent Windows Solution.
(Equivalent does not mean exactly the same. Just doing the same task.)
(F.E.: Disk Utility -> Acronis Disk Director)
(A.D.D. is much better! Check it out! (now seriously))

I must point out that I am not trying to convince you to drop Linux. I am just trying to open your eyes. I've opened mine when I've got my first kernel error on Ubuntu.

Oh and about paying for Windows Programs and Linux being free, it's just some buddies that are afraid of taking the responsibility to acquire money. Anyway, there are hackers and torrents.

Hey! There is a BitTorrent client for Linux but no useful torrents! :xxd: (Seriously!)
(Just movies and pictures, not programs.)

Are we speaking about the same OS?
It seems like we are totally not having it.

For me Ubuntu runs perfect, smoothly and it fits all my needs. Of course there are windows equivalents, but for both OS, there are things that are just unmakeable in the other os. Like how linux has GRUB2.

Actually, the whole idea of linux is to be open and free, that is why they don't ask for money. You are still allowed to give money to them.

Seriously, if things cost money, you say : Oh no, make it cost less!
If it doesn't cost money, you say: Omg, that hast to be bad.

And about torrents: You could just make legal stuff, you know. If you really want to do illegal stuff, you can still download windows stuff and make them run.

I think you totally espected Ubuntu as "Everything-Works-On-It-OS". In fact, some things just can't be done atm. Like iTunes. Apple forbids non-payers from using it currently. (Because they are stupid) That is why there is only limited Ubuntu support available.

About the other stuff: I don't miss windows. Just get used to it, you will like it.
I boot my system up in 10 seconds, and down in 4-5.

I make a complete 25gb backup in less then 1 hour.
If you want, stay at windows 7. I agree that is way better then XP and Vista, but its not as well made as ubuntu. (And probably never will)

Level 21
Are we speaking about the same OS?
It seems like we are totally not having it.

For me Ubuntu runs perfect, smoothly and it fits all my needs. Of course there are windows equivalents, but for both OS, there are things that are just unmakeable in the other os. Like how linux has GRUB2.

Actually, the whole idea of linux is to be open and free, that is why they don't ask for money. You are still allowed to give money to them.

Seriously, if things cost money, you say : Oh no, make it cost less!
If it doesn't cost money, you say: Omg, that hast to be bad.

And about torrents: You could just make legal stuff, you know. If you really want to do illegal stuff, you can still download windows stuff and make them run.

I think you totally espected Ubuntu as "Everything-Works-On-It-OS". In fact, some things just can't be done atm. Like iTunes. Apple forbids non-payers from using it currently. (Because they are stupid) That is why there is only limited Ubuntu support available.

About the other stuff: I don't miss windows. Just get used to it, you will like it.
I boot my system up in 10 seconds, and down in 4-5.

I make a complete 25gb backup in less then 1 hour.
If you want, stay at windows 7. I agree that is way better then XP and Vista, but its not as well made as ubuntu. (And probably never will)

For my needs, there is no Linux equivalent. Not even my sound card driver.
(So no music, no movies?) (I don't blame Linux.) (I hardly found a driver for Windows.)
F.E. .NET Framework? Microsoft's done an amazing job with this. It's part of my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.