• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Two "tiny building" abilities in the same unit {a tunnel using tiny building ability}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
I have a unit that digs tunnels. I want him to be able to summon one "entrance" and one "exit" unit. But I want the summons to work like the "tiny barracks" item abilities so they construct slowly over time and the enemy has a chance to kill them (i.e. like the Nydus Canals of Starcraft).

I gave the digger two abilities and changed the base order of one to flamestrike so they didn't have the same base order (I also tried others). Regardless, he only casts one of the abilities and both icons light up when I give the order.

Is there some way to get a single unit to have two such abilities? I tried a work around whereby I summon an invisible unit that is then told (via trigger) to give the build command, but then I lose the pathing and half the time it doesn't work because the digger is in the way so the invisible unit cannot put the building down.

Level 11
Try using an item ability that allows the caster to build something. Then give the building that it builds a similar ability that can make the second tunnel. See if you can make the casting range 9999999 so it can make anywhere on the map. It might work. Im assuming that you know how to teleport a unit from one to another.

Level 14
I have the teleport working already. I would rather not have the "entrance tunnel" create the "exit tunnel" because I want the player to have to physically go to the exit location to create it. It would be too overpowered in my map if you could just port yourself to the enemy's location.

Are there any other abilities that allow you to set a building to create itself?

Level 11
Oh, well cant you just base it off items? When the hero uses entrance item give it the exit item. Or i suppose you can do the same but with abilities. If it uses entrance, remove entrance and add exit.

Level 14
Oh, well cant you just base it off items? When the hero uses entrance item give it the exit item. Or i suppose you can do the same but with abilities. If it uses entrance, remove entrance and add exit.

It's not a hero, it's a regular unit. There may be more than one. I suppose I could give the entrance and exit separately, but I'd rather have it so 2 units could be active...one drills the entrance and the other the exit, etc. Also, if you place the entrance wrong it would be nice to be able to move it without having to replace the exit, etc.

I can't change the order strings somehow? I thought that would work but obviously it didn't.

Level 9
I would give hzim only the abilty to make the entrace and give the entrace the abilty to make the exit :thumbs_up:
Is nearly the same effekt but without problems.
Or maybe you give him the ebtrace build abilty and after he made the entrace you remove the abilty and at the abilty to make the exit. After he made the exit he gain the build entrace abilty again and the build exit abilty is removed ... etc...

:thumbs_up:

Level 8
If I were you I would rework the abilities into a build menu for the unit. Make the cost 0 gold and wood and trigger a mana cost if you need it.

It does seem like all those item abilities to build buildings share the same base order ID and they can't be changed.

Level 14
If I were you I would rework the abilities into a build menu for the unit. Make the cost 0 gold and wood and trigger a mana cost if you need it.

It does seem like all those item abilities to build buildings share the same base order ID and they can't be changed.

I think this may be the best idea for my map. I don't want the entrance to build the exit because then you could port to areas the digger has never been to. Besides, it's very powerful, it might be good to charge a little gold and lumber.

I haven't tested this so please don't go through any work to test it, but if you know, can I base it on an undead building so it builds itself? If it needs blight it's no good.

{EDIT}
This is officially solved. How do I change the "unsolved" in the title? I don't want to waste anyone's time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.