• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Two Awesome Suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
I was browsing the PlayDotA forums yesterday and again saw this awesome thing there called tab.

Now to explain, tab is a bbcode function which creates separate tab windows within a single post.

To give an example of that, check this thread here (at the skill names)

As you can see the poster there have used this and menaged to create a single, simple and clean post about an entire hero using this AWESOME bbcode thing.

So I was wondering, if we could get this thing here as well?
Imagine how easy will be for everyone to post the information about their maps, spells and models instead of making those huge walls of text which, by the way, I'm sure nobody cares to read most of the time.

Now here it comes this second suggestion I saw at this same forum.
If you point over the skill icons near the "skills set" text, you will notice a text appears in a pop-up, that is called as I found in the bbcode list text note. Again an awesome thing for everyone as when we need to explain a specific ability for a hero in a thread, we no longer need to use those ugly hidden tags which again takes alot of space and rape the browser window literally.

Given those two, users of the Hive will have the possibility to create their threads even easier and cleaner, without the need of 1029839012831 hidden tags and someone complaning the text is too big or too long.

Please tell me if this is possible.
Thanks in advance.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Wow, that looks smart. Can you tell me the syntax they use for makings tabs on playdota? Is it something like:

Keeper of the Grove

Priestess of the Moon

Greedy creatures are on the way to rob the magic grove and you need to stop them. Grow unique nature defenders to keep the crystals from being stolen.

The fearless leaders of the Sentinel army, the Priestesses of the Moon epitomize the power and grace of their race's ancient Moon Goddess, Elune. The Priestesses, equipped with silvery, glowing armor, ride the fearless Frostsaber tigers of Winterspring into battle. Charged with the safekeeping of the night elf lands and armed with magical energy bows - the Priestesses will stop at nothing to rid their ancient land of evil.

Which then would create a tab bar with two tabs.

The pop-up thing is also a good idea.

Level 12
For the tab code, I think it would be better if it were more like the table BB-code.

Unexpected tab 1

[t]Tab 1[/t]
[ttx]Tab 1 Text[/ttx]
[t]Tab2[/t]
[ttx]Tab 2 Text[/ttx]
[/tab]

And a mouseover function would be great for cross-referencing.

Level 19
I really like the Ralle's one, seems much more understandable than the actual since the | might be quite confusing as a separator as it is being used at the moment.

About the second thing, as I was searching through the bbcodes here, I saw the Hive something similar to this. Its called Abbreviation and it looks like this:
Test
Although its quite different, it looks like the one I've suggested.

I really hope more peoples like the ideas since they seem quite nice and it will benefit everyone, not only the users of the Hive.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I'd use any form, Ralle's form is just more in line with the way most BBcodes work right now.

As for the suggestions themselves, great idea. Tabs seem to be the new fashion right now.
Also, why is no one dialogging about the second one? I think MortAr meant the text box that spawns when you hover your mouse over these icons:

entanglingroots.gif
thicons_9909_btn.jpg
(...)

In order to replace the [ hidden ]. I think it is a great idea, people really underestimate hovering text.

P.S. — Notice that the tab title text can be colored and you can use tables(?) inside the tabs.

There are two ways to make tooltips, you could go uber simple and have them formatted the default way, or you could make them support all sorts of bb code. However, making tooltips have buttons would be a nice trolling attempt, for example. As for width, could that be detected automatically? Like, having the script that adds line breaks and stuff.

Level 19
I really would prefer if they are using default ways, otherwise people might tend to exploit the option of declaring either width or height.

Pretty much it could be defaulted to the Warcraft 3 ability tooltips width.
I think the size is fine and would be enough to have all you need.

Also I wouldn't really mind if you'd be able to color the text inside the tooltip and be able to have icons inside as well.

Something like this would work fine I guess:

icon.gif

Troll Warlord is a pure fighter, able to attack
from a distance or close range, he comes stronger
overall and may also bash. He capitalizes on attack
speed, being able to strike and move quickly, as well
as enhance his allies to sometimes do the same thing.
Jah'rakal can also Blind his opponents, making it difficult
for them to land attacks. Additionally, successive attacks
landed on a target enable greater focus for Jah'rakal.
If he is able to acquire items and momentum soon
enough, there aren't many fighters who can best him.

Abilities: Berserker Rage, Whirling Axes, Fervor and Rampage.

Move Speed of 300
Attack Range of 500
This is just used for preview I randomally picked the hero and made the tooltip looks like it.

Other idea could be that people should be able to declare the size using constant numbers via a text. For an example, if you use [tooltip="3"] the size would be set at maximum, while [tooltip="1"] is the smallest. The example above with the box can used for 3.
Other thing is to allow people to create them at random size, example: [tooltip="w=1" "h=2"], would create a tooltip with minimum width and regular height.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Arr. Ahoy me maties. What do ye think 'bout tis?

Keeper of the Grove

Priestess of the Moon

Greedy creatures are on the way to rob the magic grove and you need to stop them. Grow unique nature defenders to keep the crystals from being stolen.
The fearless leaders of the Sentinel army, the Priestesses of the Moon epitomize the power and grace of their race's ancient Moon Goddess, Elune. The Priestesses, equipped with silvery, glowing armor, ride the fearless Frostsaber tigers of Winterspring into battle. Charged with the safekeeping of the night elf lands and armed with magical energy bows - the Priestesses will stop at nothing to rid their ancient land of evil.

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Th' tabs be not workin' for me, I be usin' th' Google Chrome.

Level 13
The tabs are really need :)
I tested them with some random generated text.

Flame Caller

Shadow Lich

Juggernaut

[reaction=http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/resource_images/16/icons_15678_btn.jpg]us, so ago It suddenly full of the partly robot's was for a spiral staircase, leading nowhere in the meaning now. The last a walk through three years, ever heard. I've heard of crossing my poetry first. - he day that the end third by asking Zaphod, by seven? - Seven particularly. Ford's finger, and his job. Arthur would be accepted role to assure you sure we might be prepared speech patterns in deep worry about it says, why's had the pavement as the enthusiasm crowd[/reaction]
[reaction=http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/resource_images/16/icons_15677_btn.jpg]intruders in the power Phil, but... - Don't Panic. It's a a terminal disease in such a five-pound I can keep us beat you who could be a corner measure of very carefully... The last planet to where fish in front people locked away himself. - or What were covered in large friendly letters on the best I think that because has gone Galactic of He wound his imagination could forbid her eyebrows and under man, sternly. - I'd consciously known creation had[/reaction]
[reaction=http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/resource_images/16/icons_15648_btn.jpg]live than down a huge worried him, he felt that in this merciless Ford that a particularly somewhere to my eyes flashing, his eyes to their dry lips. - He tried outcry. and the change. The PA died of cold The planet Earth, except the Earth. Ford Prefect is Prostetnic Vogon raised her microphone off down a limited amount you see? - Who... who would have been going to do you think? - said it must have normality. - and and a man looked [/reaction]

Flame Caller

Shadow Lich

Juggernaut

icons_15678_btn.jpg

us, so ago It suddenly full of the partly robot's was for a spiral staircase, leading nowhere in the meaning now. The last a walk through three years, ever heard. I've heard of crossing my poetry first. - he day that the end third by asking Zaphod, by seven? - Seven particularly. Ford's finger, and his job. Arthur would be accepted role to assure you sure we might be prepared speech patterns in deep worry about it says, why's had the pavement as the enthusiasm crowd
icons_15677_btn.jpg

intruders in the power Phil, but... - Don't Panic. It's a a terminal disease in such a five-pound I can keep us beat you who could be a corner measure of very carefully... The last planet to where fish in front people locked away himself. - or What were covered in large friendly letters on the best I think that because has gone Galactic of He wound his imagination could forbid her eyebrows and under man, sternly. - I'd consciously known creation had
icons_15648_btn.jpg

live than down a huge worried him, he felt that in this merciless Ford that a particularly somewhere to my eyes flashing, his eyes to their dry lips. - He tried outcry. and the change. The PA died of cold The planet Earth, except the Earth. Ford Prefect is Prostetnic Vogon raised her microphone off down a limited amount you see? - Who... who would have been going to do you think? - said it must have normality. - and and a man looked

Flame Caller

Shadow Lich

Juggernaut

icons_15678_btn.jpg
us, so ago It suddenly full of the partly robot's was for a spiral staircase, leading nowhere in the meaning now. The last a walk through three years, ever heard. I've heard of crossing my poetry first. - he day that the end third by asking Zaphod, by seven? - Seven particularly. Ford's finger, and his job. Arthur would be accepted role to assure you sure we might be prepared speech patterns in deep worry about it says, why's had the pavement as the enthusiasm crowd
icons_15677_btn.jpg
intruders in the power Phil, but... - Don't Panic. It's a a terminal disease in such a five-pound I can keep us beat you who could be a corner measure of very carefully... The last planet to where fish in front people locked away himself. - or What were covered in large friendly letters on the best I think that because has gone Galactic of He wound his imagination could forbid her eyebrows and under man, sternly. - I'd consciously known creation had
icons_15648_btn.jpg
live than down a huge worried him, he felt that in this merciless Ford that a particularly somewhere to my eyes flashing, his eyes to their dry lips. - He tried outcry. and the change. The PA died of cold The planet Earth, except the Earth. Ford Prefect is Prostetnic Vogon raised her microphone off down a limited amount you see? - Who... who would have been going to do you think? - said it must have normality. - and and a man looked

Unfortunately [box=xxx]xxx[/box] does not work with the tabs. If one ads something like this
Story
The Story
this happens:
(fixed)

Flame Caller

Shadow Lich

Juggernaut

[reaction=http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/resource_images/16/icons_15678_btn.jpg]us, so ago It suddenly full of the partly robot's was for a spiral staircase, leading nowhere in the meaning now. The last a walk through three years, ever heard. I've heard of crossing my poetry first. - he day that the end third by asking Zaphod, by seven? - Seven particularly. Ford's finger, and his job. Arthur would be accepted role to assure you sure we might be prepared speech patterns in deep worry about it says, why's had the pavement as the enthusiasm crowd[/reaction]
Story
The Story
[reaction=http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/resource_images/16/icons_15677_btn.jpg]intruders in the power Phil, but... - Don't Panic. It's a a terminal disease in such a five-pound I can keep us beat you who could be a corner measure of very carefully... The last planet to where fish in front people locked away himself. - or What were covered in large friendly letters on the best I think that because has gone Galactic of He wound his imagination could forbid her eyebrows and under man, sternly. - I'd consciously known creation had[/reaction]
[reaction=http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/resource_images/16/icons_15648_btn.jpg]live than down a huge worried him, he felt that in this merciless Ford that a particularly somewhere to my eyes flashing, his eyes to their dry lips. - He tried outcry. and the change. The PA died of cold The planet Earth, except the Earth. Ford Prefect is Prostetnic Vogon raised her microphone off down a limited amount you see? - Who... who would have been going to do you think? - said it must have normality. - and and a man looked [/reaction]

Outside the tabs the box works again.
Outside

Flame Caller

Shadow Lich

Juggernaut

icons_15678_btn.jpg
icons_15677_btn.jpg
icons_15648_btn.jpg
Outside
And tabs in tabs does not work (fixed)

Flame Caller

Unexpected tab 2

Unexpected tab 3

Shadow Lich

Juggernaut

Long Sword

icons_15630_btn.jpg
It is long!

Forbidden Magic

Watery Blade

Mummy

icons_15644_btn.jpg
Forbidden, what else?
icons_15634_btn.jpg
Wet as hell
icons_15664_btn.jpg
Is it you Mommy?
[/tab]

And adding pictures to the tab title is not possible :-/

rating_p.gif
Flame Caller

Shadow Lich

Juggernaut

icons_15678_btn.jpg
icons_15677_btn.jpg
icons_15648_btn.jpg

Last edited:

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
No, that's terrible, make it be dependant on px, so that it works the same with all browsers (except for IE *sigh*). Make it so you define width by px and height gets defined automatically according to the field with the most rows.

IE supports 100% width just fine.
I guess we could make it 100% but if you give [tabs=#px] you can set the width. There should be a max though.

IE supports 100% width just fine.
I guess we could make it 100% but if you give [tabs=#px] you can set the width. There should be a max though.

Now, that'd be a nice solution.

As for IE, I meant that, if you make something and it works on everything BUT it doesn't work on IE, just ignore it, people who use IE deserve to suffer anyway xD

Status
Not open for further replies.