• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tutorial: The oyster effect

Level 16
Part 1: What is the oyster effect?
I will demonstrate this effect using by Sheerton Lizard skin, and a dummy scale done in photoshop.
1103255250hlisk.jpg

The oyster effect uses overlapping dodge and burn of two colors, over a darker usually bluish background. In my skin, this used the effect of teal and a dark indigo.

The effect is noticeable on small areas of the belly, the top scale of the head wrap, and the top scale of the neck wrap.

Part 2: How to do the oyster effect

1- Start with a dark color on the skin, I am using a dummy scale.
10jd.png

2- Using a fairly large brush, dodge white in a lighter version of the color, but also towards another color. Ie blue means use teal, and red means use orange. I am using a 200x200 image, and will use a 20 brush at 15%. Create a rib-like wave of dodging
10ii.png

3-Now, and what you want at the brightest side, dodge a bunch of more 'ribs' and overlay them. Next, move on to the darker side, to blend them together
10jh.png

4-Now, use white at 15%, and brush over the ligthest area, create a kind of shine to it, and move down to the darker area, using less concentration
14qk.png

5-Now, the effect on the main part is complete. Simply shade out and fix up the effect as you please
10vf.png

NOTE: I don't want this stickied here, but posted in the tutorial forum, so other people can also post how to do their other effects

Level 32
While Tutorial: The oyster effect may be marginally useful it is far too brief in regards to its subject matter.

Tutorials at the The Hive Workshop must have all images attached to the .php itself.

I'm certain that this document was submitted to another Warcraft III site; Eusira if you ever visit THW you must update this tutorial for it to be accepted under our present site rules.

~ Thread moved to graveyard.