• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Turn war3 map into money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
We used to be interested in making maps, but now there are not many people who touch war3. If you can use war3 map editor to make maps, please join us, because I will turn Warcraft map into money. If you have this intention, please contact me! e-mail address: <removed>

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 1
I am a Chinese war3 game player, if your map is interesting and interesting enough, money will be more, if you want to know more details, please contact my email

Let's face it, your NetEase DZ platform is not beneficial to the development of the community and Warcraft.

You steal the elements and ideas of open source maps in the community and commercialize it. You use the ridiculous paid posters of unified speech to post fake commercial map play experience in the Warcraft forum.

Anyone who realizes that you are just speculative swindlers full of thefts and lies should condemn you and refuse to cooperate with you.

The open source of the community and the love of games gave birth to projects such as W3C, CSW, and Quenching mod, rather than money and capital operations.

Citing W3C, CSW, and Quenching as what's good about War3.

THIS is 2021. THIS is the hour of the Scourge!

Suck it, Project Revolution. Suck it, Real Life [for Morons]! Suck it, Spidering Willcage! Suck it, Death for the Masses! Suck it, Curse of Time! Suck it, Civilization Wars! Suck it, Imagica! Suck it, MtG TD! Suck it Wintermaul! Suck it, Jurassic Park survival with that realistic happy meal icon! Suck it WoW Burning Crusade leveling RPG remake! Suck it Binders! Suck it Spellcraft! Suck it Return of the Dragon! Suck it World of Rosaria! Suck it Keys of Sealing! Suck it Aeon of Magic the Gathering! Suck it Element TD! Suck it, Angel Arena! Suck it Pyramid Escape! Suck it Sunken City! Suck it Uther Party! Suck it Life of a Peasant! Suck it Snowball Fight Mod! Suck it The Tales of Raviganion! Suck it Zelda Open RPG! Suck it Four Empires! Suck it JNGP! Suck it Magos! Suck it TESH! Suck it SFmpq.dll!

Level 50

Suck it, Project Revolution. Suck it, Real Life [for Morons]! Suck it, Spidering Willcage! Suck it, Death for the Masses! Suck it, Curse of Time! Suck it, Civilization Wars! Suck it, Imagica! Suck it, MtG TD! Suck it Wintermaul! Suck it, Jurassic Park survival with that realistic happy meal icon! Suck it WoW Burning Crusade leveling RPG remake! Suck it Binders! Suck it Spellcraft! Suck it Return of the Dragon! Suck it World of Rosaria! Suck it Keys of Sealing! Suck it Aeon of Magic the Gathering! Suck it Element TD! Suck it, Angel Arena! Suck it Pyramid Escape! Suck it Sunken City! Suck it Uther Party! Suck it Life of a Peasant! Suck it Snowball Fight Mod! Suck it The Tales of Raviganion! Suck it Zelda Open RPG! Suck it Four Empires! Suck it JNGP! Suck it Magos! Suck it TESH! Suck it SFmpq.dll!
You forgot @tomoraider 's campaigns.

You forgot @tomoraider 's campaigns.
Yeah, I started off putting some of the older and goofier ones. It's almost like, if someone actually spent time making a decent list instead of just all the first things that came to their mind, maybe that list would be a lot, lot longer. It's funny how that works xD

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
hqdefault.jpg

Zorrot

Hosted Project: QM
Level 16

You forget warsmash and rms :grin:

Level 13
I'm a Chinese player and I choose to make free models here! For lovely people who inspired me long ago by their talents! Shame on you for trying to bring NetEase’s junky business model to this open source community.
The funny thing is that we aren't really some absolutist OS community. Many people obfuscate their map's code, decline to allow others to fix bugs in our maps, etc etc.

More on topic though, something I read from this blog rings really true:
"Do what you love and the money will follow" is an irresponsible lie, a denial of the deep opposition between money and love. The real rule is: "If you're doing what you love, you won't care if you never make a cent from it, because that's what love means -- but you still need money!"

And many of us DO need money. Some of us have been laid off more than once since the pandemic kicked in. I'm sure for the most part, we can agree that mtx to circumvent intentional inconveniences is scummy, but how different is it from needing to invest 10s, 100s of hours into a game before you can try the endgame content? Player accounts that get XP every time you play, for incentive to stick around and grind out a cool bonus?

To be clear, there is obviously a distinction. But when the incentives become the core of what players are chasing after, real world money will inevitably find its way in. Buying leveled accounts/gold/whatever to circumvent time investment. A friend told me annis are selling for $8000 on diablo 2 ressurected atm.

The crux of what I'm trying to say is that, I don't find it unreasonable to try to garner funding for the service you provide by creating and maintaining a WC3 map. The responsible action is to look at each instance of monetization and speak our truth about what we find distasteful about it, if anything.

Thanks for coming to my tedtalk.

Last edited:
The funny thing is that we aren't really some absolutist OS community. Many people obfuscate their map's code, decline to allow others to fix bugs in our maps, etc etc.

More on topic though, something I read from this blog rings really true:
"Do what you love and the money will follow" is an irresponsible lie, a denial of the deep opposition between money and love. The real rule is: "If you're doing what you love, you won't care if you never make a cent from it, because that's what love means -- but you still need money!"
Yeah, I’m not saying hive is haven, but at least the editors here is willing to obey some basic rules. On netease platform, they could sell stolen models as skins in their trash map, never give credits to the real author cause most of players live behind that “wall”, that money is not decent.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
TEDx
This thread isn't about cutting slack to people who legally (through donations and such) make money from gaming. It's about stolen content being sold. It's about intellectual property infringement.
Being under a pandemic does not give you any legal or moral right to leech people of money with unlawful means or content.

EDIT: ah, the main post has been edited. An exploitatory Chinese internet platform was advertised. It's a place of full fledged scamming.

Level 13
On netease platform, they could sell stolen models as skins in their trash map, never give credits to the real author cause most of players live behind that “wall”, that money is not decent.
In my opinion, this is more an issue of the state of copyright law. Small scale cases of this sort of thing should really not necessitate a court, unless there is enough muddled waters as to not make it an open and shut case. A government-run website where you reference where your IP is being mishandled, and what type of resolution you would like would be pretty straightforward, am I right? Iirc, Chinese citizens need to use a government ID code to login anyways, so finding the source of who uploaded the map would be trivial.

This thread isn't ... It's about stolen content being sold. It's about intellectual property infringement.
Being under a pandemic does not give you any legal or moral right to leech people of money with unlawful means or content.
Based on what assertion? That Chinese mappers have made no IP of their own, and only profit from stolen IP?

edit: lol you edited your post, that makes sense. But I am skeptical as to your new statement that the web service is just scamming?

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
A government-run website where you reference where your IP is being mishandled, and what type of resolution you would like would be pretty straightforward, am I right? Iirc, Chinese citizens need to use a government ID code to login anyways, so the source of who uploaded the map would be trivial.
Yes but the Chinese government doesn't care about stolen material outside their country, maybe not even inside (a huge number of people live in China) as it would be wasted resources to hunt all illegalities down.

EDIT: and there's also the issue of the money you make being taxed.

Level 13
I said it would be trivial because it would take very little effort to make a pipeline that takes map -> uploader -> automated email stating they rectify the issue as requested by the claimant -> resolution/contest the issue.

Getting kinda off-topic now, but why are taxes an issue??

Yes but the Chinese government doesn't care about stolen material outside their country, maybe not even inside (a huge number of people live in China) as it would be wasted resources to hunt all illegalities down.

EDIT: and there's also the issue of the money you make being taxed.
And this leads to the situation that very rare Chinese would do some creative and original works(in wc3 maps and many other fields), many “editors” are just focusing on turning everything they can get from anywhere into money due to this environment(funny bunch of commies would care money so much more than the west haha).

Zorrot, author of the Quenching Mod is Chinese too, guys like him is hard to find in this land now. As far as I know, seldom do great map, model, campaign editors in China make profits from their works, money all went to thieves and merchants.

I already made my point in the past on the matter.

So please, it's not a healthy way for the community to thrive. I don't mind people giving services for money, but I think it is a bad idea to turn the warcraft 3 map into a money fest and cause a massive deterioration in the community at the same time. You can use donations and such, but please, stay those dangerous microtransaction schemes away.

Level 13
My main gripe with mtx is when they are used in kids games, and especially so with the "loot boxes" meme, throwing money at a chance of a very valuable commodity, only to be disappointed you got rocks. For adults, gambling is legal so the onus is really on players to be responsible with their money. To be frank, gambling money is probably better in an indie developer's hands over a corporation's. No mtx in a Warcraft III map's lifetime would rake in what Candy Crush nets in an HOUR, which according to last years revenue would be $147,569/hr.

At the end of the day people like having money printers, and most of us need to earn a living. Youtubers and Twitch Streamers leverage your attention and time for ad revenue, while mtx leverages your dopamine against you. At face value, one is more annoying and one is more sinister. But this is kind of just the world we live in. The bubble we have atm in the Western WCIII community is nice, but I wouldn't find it productive to necessarily fight the flow of things. Besides, if mtx in any non-encrypted map was enough of a hassle, someone would just remove it. That's not to say there's no use in complaining about it though. I'm sure most mappers would be receptive to feedback considering the aforementioned.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
But I am skeptical as to your new statement that the web service is just scamming?
Ah, no, don't get it the wrong way. The platform is not only used for that but the fact that it hosts illegal stuff with little to no care is disturbing.
(funny bunch of commies would care money so much more than the west haha
Yeah, because when a government pushes policies that make most people poor, the people will try to make money by any means necessary.
Getting kinda off-topic now, but why are taxes an issue??
I'm saying fiscal evasion should be taken into consideration.
I said it would be trivial because it would take very little effort to make a pipeline that takes map -> uploader -> automated email stating they rectify the issue as requested by the claimant -> resolution/contest the issue.
It all sounds simple but in a place like China, not really, especially when the claimant comes from outside the country.
To be frank, gambling
should be greatly taxed :D

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
how come these guys can still make money off of wc3, but to blizzard it is an unprofitable dead weight (and therefore shoved under the rug in terms of development)?
Because, Blizzard would need to hire people to check on these monetized maps to ensure everything is legal and respecting their values.

@loakangtou if you want to turn Warcraft III into money, sell your CDs, man.

Level 21
Because, Blizzard would need to hire people to check on these monetized maps to ensure everything is legal and respecting their values.

I don't mean by doing the exact same thing. I mean that if there is still something people are willing to pay for involving wc3 - blizzard could be supplying that demand.

maybe I don't really understand the nature of the services this guy is trying to make money off of.

@loakangtou if you want to turn Warcraft III into money, sell your CDs, man.
lol

Status
Not open for further replies.