• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tropic Thunder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
TROPIC THUNDER
Putting the thunder in the tropics.

What is Tropic Thunder?

Tropic Thunder is a game based in Vietnam. There is no story or characters, just players killing their way to the top of the scoreboard.

How does Tropic Thunder look like?

Since it is based in Vietnam, Tropic Thunder is very green. Your soldier has a dark-green camouflage which makes it hard for you to find. For now, you could almost see half of the map (which is fairly small) in day and night will activate the fog. The gun bullets look interesting. They are fast decaying ribbons which look like most video games' projectiles.

Why play Tropic Thunder?

Most advanced shooter games in Warcraft offers you bullet projectiles in form of dummies. (Dummies are unselectable units) Now, I have nothing against that but I've always had lagger in those kinds of systems. That's why my gun system is different from any shooter.

How does your gun system work?

Glad you asked. I don't use any moving dummy unit for my projectile. I use Warcraft's traditional one. The one that seems so automatic and unrealistic for us shooters. So, why is my gun system different? Well, it's like this:

There will be soldier classes in my game. One of them is the Rifleman. The Rifleman uses an M16, which is best at long ranges. Another class is the Assault. He holds a shotgun, and that means he relies on close combat to eliminate his enemy.

All of the classes hold an ability called Aim. There are 100 levels of this Aim.

Perfect Aim 1 - 10
Good Aim 11 - 35
Bad Aim 36 - 80
Impossible Aim 81 - 100

The numbers after the Aim is the level and also the chance to miss.

If you have Good Aim 24, it would mean you have a 24% chance to miss.

How does the Aim change?

It depends on many factors. Distance, gun, duration are just some of it. If your target is sprinting, your Aim worsens.

Let's say the Rifleman sees the Assault 1800 px away. He can attack him from there, or go closer. Since the Assault is better off near, you decide to attack him from where you are. Once you click on him, the Aim changes. From my estimates, I'd say your Aim would be somewhere in the Bad Aim 40. But then again...

How does the Attack system work?

Hmm. The Attack system was based on the Peasant. The Peasant WILL not auto-attack. Which means that you'll have to click on the enemy to shoot. This is where I am going to have some time to explain it.

Your unit has mana. The mana is how much projectiles you can fire in a single click. A M16 is realistically 3 shot 1 click. The mana of that unit is 3. If you have an AK-47, you have 30 mana, and although you CAN waste 30 bullets in one click, you will suffer heavy recoil, thus it isn't recommended. What you can do about it is switch the Fire Mode.

What is the Fire Mode?

Almost any gun has that.

AK-47 has Automatic and Semi-Automatic

M16 has Burst and Semi-Automatic

Sniper is only semi-automatic

And etc. You can switch gun mode depending on the situation you are in.

For example, if you are in a close quarter combat, you can switch your AK-47 into an automatic. Although your Aim will get worse, it starts from a very low level. Like Perfect Aim 4. From there, it will rise, but not as much as being far ranged.

What camera view is this?

This is Third Person with 360 degree rotation. The view is very complex. You can use your mouse scroll to look up and down, use the left and right key to look left and right, and you can zoom in and out using up and down key.

These will help you in adapting in your surroundings. Nothing can block your view. Another thing that I noticed is facing up will give you a longer view while facing down will help you view your surroundings. Which is helpful if you're looking for someone hiding in the abundant bushes.

How do you revive?

There WILL be two kinds of revival systems. One is that they revive in a random location with a few seconds of invulnerability and no mana. The other one is that they don't revive for the whole match. They eliminate each other until they have one player standing. You can view other people's units while dead.

What game modes are there?

For now, it is only FREE-FOR-ALL. But, as the map progresses, I will surely add teams with different kinds of game modes like Capture the Flag, Decode, Team Death match and even Bomb Defuse.

What are the Air Strikes?

There are several available Air Strikes. Each of them have their own purpose. The ground will also shake if you're near the strike.

Is there rain?

Yes, and thunders too!

Cluster Bomb

Drops 15 bombs. Each bombs deal 100 damage.

Rocket Strike

Shoots 5 bombs. Each bomb deals 350 damage.

Agent Orange

Drops a poisonous gas which deals 50 damage per second.

AT-4 Gattling Strike

Shoots 50 bursts which deals 25 damage each.

Classes

Rifleman

Carries an M1.

Marine

Carries an M16.

Assault

Carries a shotgun.

Sniper

Carries a sniper.

Saboteur

Carries a sub-machine gun.

More to come!