• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

TrollBattleTurtle

As promised in the Troll Shark Rider Threads, my next model was going to be an amphibic Troll unit. So, here it is: the mighty Troll Battle Turtle. Unlike the shark riders, in this case the turtle is the main source damage. The tattooed and war-painted Troll on its back is only commanding it. Only the best hunters among the Troll tribes are allowed to become the ''Mahuds'' of these mighty Dragon Turtles! This unit isn't only a mighty, living tank with devastating strength, it's also a status symbol among Tribal Chieftains. Only the mightiest ones can afford having such units among their rows, do to their need of much space and even more food. But if they are used, then they stand in the first row, stomping, terryfying and sometimes even repelling enemy footmen. This turtle can also devour small units! It's mighty jaws cause massive injuries and its hard shell protects it from almost any damage. Its only drawback is that it can't fight off enemy airborn units, but considering its armor and health points, this is just a minor loss. It's main purpose is to prevent enemy cavalry from stomping down allied infantry and to break through enemy defense lines without suffering much damage. Despite that, the hardened shell spikes and tusks cause damage to any enemy foolish enough to attack it from close by! The other big advantage of this unit is the ability to move at land as well as in water, which allows use of both infantry destroyer and ship sinker! I hope you like it as much as the shark riders! Feel free to use it in any way you want (incl. editing)! Have fun with it!

EDIT 1: my thanks for this update go to: Misha, JesusHipster, -Grendel, Sin'dorei300 and PROXY for their good advice of animating the Troll-Mahud a bit more and re-taking a look at the model (a closer one this time). I also fixed the rope, after comparing it now with the old version i must say the old rope was an abomination! The new one fits better the model. There still are a few minor flaws with which has to be lived with (trust me, i tried everything i could all afternoon, but everything that fixed them, opened a new problem). They aren't much noticeable ingames anyway. Thanks to the guys mentioned above, the quality of this model could be further improved (don't forget that if you intend to give credits)!

Keywords:
Troll, battle turtle, dragon turtle, Dragonturtle Rider, sea unit, land unit, living tank, organic tank, rider, sea cavalry, land cavalry, tribal beas
Contents

TrollBattleTurtle (Model)

TrollBattleTurtle (Model)

Reviews
21:48, 2nd Jan 2013 -Grendel: meh, could've received a higher rating if you worked more on those anims. and if you wrapped the face like what i did using the DH texture. but still, that doesn't hinder this model for getting approved.

M

21:48, 2nd Jan 2013
-Grendel: meh, could've received a higher rating if you worked more on those anims. and if you wrapped the face like what i did using the DH texture. but still, that doesn't hinder this model for getting approved.

Level 8
though turtles are slow on the ground, both the troll and turtle can attack the enemies trying to attack them and when it comes to defence, there are spikes to block attacks from ranged enemies, if there are impossible enemies, the battle turtle will go to the water leaving he troll on the surface of the water.

A Very Nice model!

..something doesn't exactly fit with that model.. and i'm lazy to download and check, lol... does he always stand? you can't really balance that much on a back of a giant dragon turtle.. thus, i don't really see it as an effective unit.

as for vanity part, maybe you could tie up somefink like an orc watchtower and have the troll sit there.. could feel lill more stable than just standing on a turtle

EDIT: you could make the troll a tiny bit smaller, since it's a giant turtle we're talkin' about

Level 5
Well, i suggest you should put a properly troll body instead of Demon hunter body! The skinn color just didn't fit into each other!

This is very cool, but you should have used a normal "dark troll" head, not a troll trapper head, would fit the body more.

Still, the concept is really cool and the result looks awesome. Your models are developing a unique style and I'm loving them.

4/5. I'll check the animations later, rating might change. Just woke up at 4:20 in the morning, and figured while I was awake I might as well check this, but I'm not staying up.

This is a really great idea and I do like the troll riding on the turtle.
thx :ogre_hurrhurr:

ha it explaine all awsome :) !!
:wink:

though turtles are slow on the ground, both the troll and turtle can attack the enemies trying to attack them and when it comes to defence, there are spikes to block attacks from ranged enemies, if there are impossible enemies, the battle turtle will go to the water leaving he troll on the surface of the water.

A Very Nice model!
ty :ogre_haosis:

Uncle :D your models are cool as usual 5/5 because I really like waiting for more models trolls :D
thx dear neffew :ogre_hurrhurr:

Your works are so cool and useful, I want to marry you :ogre_hurrhurr:
:vw_love:

..something doesn't exactly fit with that model.. and i'm lazy to download and check, lol... does he always stand? you can't really balance that much on a back of a giant dragon turtle.. thus, i don't really see it as an effective unit.

as for vanity part, maybe you could tie up somefink like an orc watchtower and have the troll sit there.. could feel lill more stable than just standing on a turtle

EDIT: you could make the troll a tiny bit smaller, since it's a giant turtle we're talkin' about
yeah, i checked the other commends as well, it definitly needs a change....

Well, i suggest you should put a properly troll body instead of Demon hunter body! The skinn color just didn't fit into each other!
:fp: the discription says it all :wink:

Somehow, everytime you upload new models, it becomes better and better on both the execution and the idea. Great job.
thx my good friend :ogre_haosis:

thats is good model,trolls on a turtle,it could make an excellent unit,especially on ambushes by water XD this is an good idea
lol, it's actually a bit to slow for ambushes. It rather fits for blocking the path of boats and enemy cavalry :wink:

Very Very Good My Unlce :X 5/5
thx a lot dear neffew :ogre_hurrhurr:

This is very cool, but you should have used a normal "dark troll" head, not a troll trapper head, would fit the body more.

Still, the concept is really cool and the result looks awesome. Your models are developing a unique style and I'm loving them.

4/5. I'll check the animations later, rating might change. Just woke up at 4:20 in the morning, and figured while I was awake I might as well check this, but I'm not staying up.
lol, it's the troll berserker's head (Orc race not creeps). The discription says it all, the demonhunter's body is supposed to be his regular colored and the head has war-paintings. Thx for your words about my models, i appreciate your feedback. :ogre_haosis:

Dude... his body.. and his head... Is he supposed to be an abomitation with a small head and elfven body?? And what's wrong, i bet he is not meant to be a stone..
:fp: discription: the body is the regular color and the head is (war-)painted. :wink: yeah, i think i should animate the body as well. :vw_sad:

This is epic. Everything matches perfectly. Illidan's body fit with Troll's head and the turtle is epic with its "attachments". Good Job!!
5/5:goblin_good_job:
thx a lot for your feedback :ogre_haosis:

ok the previous shark riders are awesome but this..he is not moving all the time. he's just like an additional mesh there. i'm not approving this until you animate that rider.
thx for giving me extra time. Yes, i certainly will animate the rider. I was tired while making the model, so i didn't bothered with animating the rider. I thought it's good enough as is, but after taking another look today i came to the same conclusion: it doesn't fit the shark riders from quality! It must be animated! You and the others demanding an animated rider are absolutely right about this! :ogre_icwydt:

Level 51
Dude, you totally have to experiment with the bodys of your trolls, they look way to generic and just put together from existing, default blizz models. The idea is great and stuff, but check out other troll models, give them tribe like armor, different colours (there are douzends of cool textures that can be experimented with), just do anything that I don't have to see those standard wc3 models.

yes you have to. i mean, it just looks weird during the death animation. animate it and you'll get another five stars from me.
yeah, the bad look is the main reason why i'd animate it. :wink:

Looks great, but i'd suggest u to change troll's head skin to dark troll one! ;)
Btw reminds me of ur haradrim models, dunno why! :D
how much darker? Like DarkTroll? :vw_wtf:

Dude, you totally have to experiment with the bodys of your trolls, they look way to generic and just put together from existing, default blizz models. The idea is great and stuff, but check out other troll models, give them tribe like armor, different colours (there are douzends of cool textures that can be experimented with), just do anything that I don't have to see those standard wc3 models.
lol, i just want to make new models from existing stuff so that there's a bigger variety among troll units, i don't necessarely want to create new Troll races. :eekani:

the trick with these is to find all the good textures, without making the model too cluttered, i think :3 and tribal armor and voodoo jujus do that sometimes
yeah, but i didn't want to add so many new stuff. Each of my Troll Models has a few different features. The problem with many custom made stuff is the filesize that can be easily propelled upwards. :vw_sad:

Level 7
Thx a lot, dear neffew. :ogre_hurrhurr: lol, why exactly an acolyte :vw_wtf:?? There are so many other nice undead units for such a purpose, why exactly the cheapest one? :wink:

Well i was just thinking like an undead rider type model. Ive tried an failed, but i used the acolyte since it was cheap an easy. So it was more of an example model.
But ive been trying to find an undead scorpion riding unit. Something better than "horses" pretty much.

Here are my 2 feeble attempts:
attachment.php

Attachments

• Sporp.jpg
    Sporp.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 310
Well i was just thinking like an undead rider type model. Ive tried an failed, but i used the acolyte since it was cheap an easy. So it was more of an example model.
But ive been trying to find an undead scorpion riding unit. Something better than "horses" pretty much.

Here are my 2 feeble attempts:
attachment.php
lol, how about an undead scorpion man? You know, like in the Egyptian Scorpionman in Age of Mythology? :wink:

cool

although you could still have that troll fall and smash down like a ragdoll/splash in water on those deaths

also stand anims could have at least his head periodically looking left/right.. maybe up.. you know global anims? maybe if you make one eeeextra long one for the head, which includes all 3 ways it'll look... or maybe i'm over-complicating :xxd:

Level 49
anyway...
i admit its much better now with animations, but you still have to make him fall out of the turtle during the death anim.
just a suggestion for the body. if you want to keep the warpaint concept...
-use the troll headhunter texture.
-duplicate the body mesh and separate it to a different geoset.
-make the duplicate body use a texture..lets say.. an aura texture. then set it to blend/additive and wrap the dupe body mesh to the texture you chose.

OR if you want to do it the easy way, with no mesh edits, you can just tweak it via geoset tinting.

there you have it. i've tried that before with my naga stealth viper model(the back uses a duplicate mesh with the serpent ward texture, and the rune on his shoulder uses the devotion aura texture.)

EDIT: you might wanna add a few more polies for his legs. just take a look at his knees. his thigh is waaaay to long and his lower leg is too short.

Last edited:
cool

although you could still have that troll fall and smash down like a ragdoll/splash in water on those deaths

also stand anims could have at least his head periodically looking left/right.. maybe up.. you know global anims? maybe if you make one eeeextra long one for the head, which includes all 3 ways it'll look... or maybe i'm over-complicating :xxd:
the head is animated , but yes, not rly specially. I had little space for changes in the head as it would otherwise stick into the banner on its back :vw_sad: global anim? Hm, sounds pretty interesting, though i've never bothered in messing around with global anims. :vw_sad:

Nice.. But please change the rider's texture to a troll, cause Demon Hunter doesn't fit into a mass of trolls.
lol, it's supposed to be his regular skin.....the head is supposed to be painted (i think i mentioned that again somewhere.....

I realy like that rope and sorta like it's mesh, but troll is just a pile of shit. Battle paint is too cheap exuse, he is still not animated propertly, his head totaly needs a rescale and the fuck his body stretches like he is ade of gum, come on.
lol, same as above for Misha

okay we get it, the texture of the body and the head don't fit very well. you don't have to call it a pile of shit though. that's not a proper way to give a critique by the way.

anyway...
i admit its much better now with animations, but you still have to make him fall out of the turtle during the death anim.
just a suggestion for the body. if you want to keep the warpaint concept...
-use the troll headhunter texture.
-duplicate the body mesh and separate it to a different geoset.
-make the duplicate body use a texture..lets say.. an aura texture. then set it to blend/additive and wrap the dupe body mesh to the texture you chose.

OR if you want to do it the easy way, with no mesh edits, you can just tweak it via geoset tinting.

there you have it. i've tried that before with my naga stealth viper model(the back uses a duplicate mesh with the serpent ward texture, and the rune on his shoulder uses the devotion aura texture.)

EDIT: you might wanna add a few more polies for his legs. just take a look at his knees. his thigh is waaaay to long and his lower leg is too short.
making him fall of the turtle aint that easy, trust i tried it before.....it would make the turtles back to stretch while he's falling :vw_sad: Geoset merging it that way would just tell me that it's best done in Vertex Modify (you can geomerge there as well, but the merged geoset will be one with a selected geoset), where i could make him use his actual body (troll berserker's). This way the head and a part of the arms would have the same geoset and not a new one, if it should be merged with the Berserker's. :wink:

Dear Uncle Fester,

Your Model is nice and I love it.

your nephew,
doomhammer99
thx a lot, dear neffew :ogre_hurrhurr:

Or u can try to use the body texture for the head too! ^^
nia, that would make him look too much like the Tigershark rider :vw_sad:

2in1.jpg

ok so i managed to somehow make the troll head 'fit' with the rest of the body.
hm, looks pretty nice idd. Though i think i'll leave the model as is. The difference between the textures isn't much noticeable in the model. But thanks for the idea. :thumbs_up:

Not bad, but I didn't dl it yet, so is the troll sitting on something or is he standing?
he's sitting. There's something like a ''seat'' on the turtle shell's first spike (which is slightly modified). :wink:

I didn't say you have to make a new troll race, but bring in more variaton for the existing ones.
i'll try some things on my next troll models. :wink: Dunno why, but i just love making troll models recently. :vw_love:

Level 12
Great job! This one were a unique one! ^^
Will Definitaly use this as a Hero in my map!

And i also tok a good time of mine to look at your resources. I most say im quite jaelous of you, for making so much cool and good ones! Wish i could know how to use a model editor [cant even paste a complete done model.]

And also im not giving +Rep to any one, but since its you i give you ;)
Dunno how much rep you will get but =D
Continue with your work and live the life :thumbs_up:

Great job! This one were a unique one! ^^
Will Definitaly use this as a Hero in my map!

And i also tok a good time of mine to look at your resources. I most say im quite jaelous of you, for making so much cool and good ones! Wish i could know how to use a model editor [cant even paste a complete done model.]

And also im not giving +Rep to any one, but since its you i give you ;)
Dunno how much rep you will get but =D
Continue with your work and live the life :thumbs_up:
hehe, thx a lot.
It's actually a unit and has neither a hero glow nor a scorescreen icon, but the choice is yours. :wink:

Thank you. :ogre_hurrhurr: Paste a model where? You just open it in the editor and there are many tutorials that teach modelling step-by-step, but it isn't that easy. It took me more than a year of practice until i had my first model approved. The best models for the beginning are attachments, like weapons, since they don't move during their one and only animation. My first approved model was also an attachment. :wink:

Hehe, thx a lot. :ogre_hurrhurr:
Sure i will do both. :wink: I'm aiming to make more models in the future. An old aim of mine is to make a full Lord of the Rings contingent, using ingame skins to maximum possible extent. :wink: