• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Trigger] Triggering questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
Hi! I have some questions regarding triggering skills.

1. I know how to make a unit as a special effect and make it go to a special point, but i can't figure out how to make it react on when someone gets close to it. For example, elunes arrow in DotA.

2. I know how to somewhat use polar offset, but i don't get all of it. For example let's say i want to do a backstab spell like rikimarus or bristleback like bristlebacks in DotA.

3. I've made a skill for a hero that has a chain lightning-like spell. The skill is a shield which adds armor and a percent chance to release the chain lightning on the attacking unit. The problem is that i dont know how to make variables that is multi-instance-able so that he can add the shield to others and still set the level to the level of chain lightning of the caster.

4. How to trigger autocast-spells like searing arrows so that they do damage over time like burning spear of Huskar in DotA.

The reason i use DotA as example is that most people knows about them xD

I appreciate the help. (if i get any:razz:)

Level 29
1. As Waldbaer nicely pointed to me :)thumbs_up:) you can add events to triggers in the middle of the game, so you can make a trigger telling that when a unit of kind "Eluna's Arrow" gets close to a unit - conditions - actions.

2. Don't know, played DotA about 2 times and that was before 3 years or so 0.0

3. To make the buff on others you can just use the Lich hero skill (called Frost Shield I think).
To make the varibales effective to all the units in the map that have it you can do it like this:
  • Unknown
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Is attacked
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • If (((Triggering unit) has buff Lightning_Shield_Lvl_1) Equal to True) then do (Whatever_You_like_To_Do) else do (Do nothing)
      • If (((Triggering unit) has buff Lightning_Shield_Lvl_2) Equal to True) then do (Whatever_You_like_To_Do) else do (Do nothing)
  • -------- And so on with all the levels of the spell --------

4. Can't you just use any "damage over time" (for example poison damage) attack in warcraft ?
In case you can't for some reason here's something that I think that will work:
  • Unknown
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Is attacked
    • Conditions
      • (Attacking unit) Equal to (The_Arrow_You_Want)
    • Actions
      • Unit - Cause (Attacking unit) to damage (Triggering unit), dealing 10.00 damage of attack type Normal and damage type Slow Poison
  • -------- I never really tried this out so I don't know if it works or not --------

Hope I helped.

Last edited:
Level 6
2) you compare your facing angle with an angle between our locations. if you're facing 45 deg (top right) and angle of line going from me towards you is 35-55 degrees, then i'm behind you. all the functions are there in trigger editor (they return real numbers)

4) no triggering needed. make nice icons and use poison arrows ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.