• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Triggering an ability that i cant find?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
I want to make a trigger like this one:
  • Ability rain of chaos
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Is attacked
    • Conditions
      • (Unit-type of (Attacked unit)) Equal to Pit Lord
      • (Life of (Attacked unit)) Less than or equal to 20000.00
    • Actions
      • Unit - Order (Attacked unit) to Neutral Pit Lord - Rain Of Fire (Position of (Attacked unit))
      • Trigger - Turn off (This trigger)
And i found the "rain of fire" ability, however... for the next trigger i cant find a custom ability i made called avatar. Ive searched the 3 "issue order targeting a point/unit/No Target" groups and i cant find it. I named the ability Avatar and it doesn't seem to be there. I even looked for "activate avatar" but still no luck? Any help?

Level 8
Moin moin =)

Ah, no in those lists there are no custom abilities added at all. You have to use the order of the default ability you chose, before you make it custom.

Greetings and Peace
Dr. Boom

That confuses me. I must use a default ability , then change the stats of that ability? I cant create a new custom ability and use it in a trigger at all? D:

Level 16
Ok in clear words now ...

When you made this custom ability, you pick up an existing ability and name it avatar right?(with copy & paste or create new ability) Now you don't order "avatar" you order the order of the picked ability. So if you avatar base on "Rain of Fire" you use the rain of fire order, if you avatar base on "Drain mana" you use the order for drain mana.

Can't explain it more exactly -_-

Level 8
ahh i get it. So it tells the guy to use whatever ability is based of off the Base ability, in this case, mountain king - activate avatar would set off my custom avatar ability! I just learned something today, thanks a lot, i wish i could give more rep :)

Level 33
Whatever the cases, they will refer to your base spell ID
Like the Human - Mountain King, Storm Bolt ability
Its spell ID is "thunderbolt"
So, whichever a spell is based on a "thunderbolt" spell ID, will be fired if a trigger use an action like this:
  • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Human Mountain King - Storm Bolt Enemy

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
You issue the unit an order, not an ability ID. Thus the same order for the orignal avatar will work for all the children of the avatar ability.

Only with the channel ability (and few others) can you change the order (but only to that of another ability).

Level 33
And because of the same spell ID, it can cause two spells to be bugged if it is on a same unit
Both oh the spell will be fired if the unit has 2 same spell ID
This can be fixed using "Channel" as your base ability
Channel serves as totally pure dummy ability just to fire up your spell, no self-benefits of this spell like giving a +damage or whatever

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
No idea what you are talking about, there is no such thing as a "SpellID".

The problem is a unit having 2 different abilities which share the same order. The oder will thus cast them both at the same time or whichever is reached first (as it can not tell which of them was it means).

Basically the interface response of you wanting to cast an ability generates an order request. The order request is sent through to the game server (host) which then syncrniously sends it to everyone else to run at the same time. The order is then evaluated, which is where the problem with 2 abilities with same order occurs as it no longer can tell which of them it orignated from (as they both generate the same order requests). The end result is eithor both being used or the first one in the query list being given the cast.

This can be abused to issue impossible orders. This is how many hacks work (like the unkillable tower hack which I think was fixed). This is even possible in SC2 (or was atleast) which is how the burrowed neural of fungal casting infestors bug came from (now fixed).

The difference is in WC3 you can not really change orders which abilities use (except for channel and a few others) where as in SC2 you can create your own order reqests.

Do note that a lot of WC3 orders are hidden. These are only issued in the form of an integer which the engine interprets (like items and item abilites such as the wand of illusion ability). You need JASS to trigger these order requests.

Status
Not open for further replies.