• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Trigerred mana system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Im making a map with mechanics that are somewhat limited by the way War3 works with hero abilities.

I want to implement effects like "Next spell costs no mana" and "Next spell costs X% less mana". The first option would be to simply refund the spell's mana cost after cast, but then theres the problem where the hero should be able to cast it even with no mana ( because in the end it wont cost anything ), and by the "refund" method that wouldn't work. So my idea was to set heroes with the "free cast" thing to full mana and then, after the effect is consumed by a spellcast, reverting his total mana to what it was before the effect ocurred. The mana regen while de effect was active would be calculated manually so that it is applied after the effect ends - thats necessary cause units at max mana wont regen mana.

I think thats way too much work and it may be hard to program so it wont end up messing mana manipulation effects, so im thinking about just doing a triggered mana system. If the caster doesnt have enough mana to cast, the spell's cooldown will be refreshed and a message "not enough mana" will be displayed.

I've got a similar problem with buffs. Im inclined to using dummy auras ( they wont blink when the duration is close do ending ) instead of real buffs because then i can manibulate buff duration easy. Example: Skill steals a triggered buff from a enemy unit, applying the same buff on your hero with the duration that was remaining for it to expire on the unit it was stolen from. Is it even possible to do this kind of effect without dummy auras?

TL:DR -- Do you think a triggered mana system would compromise map quality too much? ( Spell icons wont turn blue when out of mana )

Status
Not open for further replies.